Audi Build

Road tax higher and mpg lower, rear wheel fun, factor in £3k for winter alloys and tyres, which can be kept in the BMW tyre hotel.

Take the RS3 I had the lighter headlining in my last S3 and it brightens up the cabin, look at it as a positive

Plus if you agree to take the car and stay with Audi they are more likely to give you some compo as a sweetner
Tax looks to be the same at £265 and both quoting around 34mpg the new model is a vast improvement on the old figures hence the only reason I would consider it.

M3 and 4 get a lot of stick for handling. Ok on smooth roads but hopeless if a bit British. And very poor traction. Engine smooth but characterless compared to 5.
Big discount = less demand = for good reasons!

Looking at the numbers, I'd need 20% discount to consider the M3 over the RS3. But I would seriously consider it then!

Is that the only thing thats wrong with it....the headlining

What colour is the leather the rest of the interior and the car ?

The difference new is about £13k the difference after discount and finance over two years is only £7.5k. Tempting particularly as I have two buyers wanting to buy my current car. My worry is the British weather particularly down here and not having a back-up!

The difference new is about £13k the difference after discount and finance over two years is only £7.5k. Tempting particularly as I have two buyers wanting to buy my current car. My worry is the British weather particularly down here and not having a back-up!

I had a M135i last car in manual, it was fine apart from the offset clutch doing my back in, you just have to factor in winter tyres, so add that to your comparison. Auto would be fine.

Reactions: NormantheDog
Tax looks to be the same at £265 and both quoting around 34mpg the new model is a vast improvement on the old figures hence the only reason I would consider it.

Not sure what your drivers are Norman, and I would hate to you to knee jerk:

Ones a sport back, the other a saloon. The M3 is ~200mm longer than the RS3 and ~100mm wider - It is a bigger car, more akin to A4.

Its only Rear Wheel Drive

BMWs are everywhere!! - but so are Audis both have around 6-8% of market share depending on which survey you read.

M3 is bonkers in a straight line - in the dry. On a wet twisty B road, I shook off a new M3 over 3 miles in my S3 last week on the way home.... the RS3 would have been even better.

Personally, I would stick with the silver heaadlining; My XF-S had a ivory headlinging; my XF-R had a black one and I prefered the ivory. I was 50:50 on silver/black on the RS3, and it was only Mrs Nimbus who swayed the decsion.

Don't be hasty Norman :welcoming::welcoming:

Reactions: Yorrick and ACWKGYTO
I find all black interiors too dark and somber. Mine is black seats and silver (light grey really) headlining. Best combo I think.

Reactions: Nimbus265 and ACWKGYTO
M4 - totally different car; like comparing apples and lemons! £57,050 base price, besides which, you'd be better off with the new RS4 Saloon anyway.

It's the headliner I ordered black it has come with the light grey / white. I don't really want some technicians climbing around inside my car to take the old one out and fit the new one. They can do enough damage just doing the PDI what sort of damage might they do climbing around inside and pulling bits out? Also knowing my current luck it will result in some annoying rattles where the fixings haven't gone as well as the factory and be numerous returns to the dealership to fix. No compensation has been offered and the car hasn't been registered so there is no 'rejection' and probably why no compensation. Even if they offered compensation as well as changing it would need to be around the £2k mark but they just aren't going to offer that it is pretty obvious. They aren't even offering any for the reorder yet they could easily sell my wrong car for a good profit given the demand - maybe I should just take it and sell it myself? I have asked for a reorder and they are trying to see if they can negotiate a build slot with Audi UK. Apparently I have to wait 3 working days to hear from Audi UK but I suppose they need time to look into it.

I looked at two cars yesterday one with black and one with the white neither were RS3's but I really don't want the white particularly after spending £45k+ I just want what I ordered.

I have two very keen buyers for my current car but don't quite know what to do about that at the moment.

I can definitely relate to you Norman. I had to have black leather seats on
my new car, that was priority # 1. I also wanted the black headliner to match.
I could have gotten my car right that day. It had all the options I wanted except
it had the light headliner. It was a definite no for me. Personally I think that ruins
the whole look of the inside of the car with the black seats. So I special ordered
one. I waited 3 months just so I could have a Black headliner. I really do know
how you feel. If you are not going to be happy don't take it. I am so glad I waited.
:redface new:

I still want the RS3 but BMW dealers are so much nicer to deal with no ar5ing about just get to the point and a deal.

Mustang is too big and only 3dr, Focus is too lairy but out of the two it would be the Focus.

I bet you forget about the headliner after a few hours driving it. Just go and get the RS3...

Reactions: Nimbus265 and ACWKGYTO
D day...........

Reactions: XR53_DAN, Foxtrot_Oscar, Wango and 2 others
It definitely won't be the 'wrong' car it will either be a reorder or the M3. The BMW dealership are being great though whereas the Audi one I struggle to get a response from them and have to chase all the time :grumpy:

They are not prepared to offer any compo for the 'wrong' car presumably as they know they can sell it for a song.

Last edited:
If it was me it would nark for a little while that it's the wrong colour and then I'd probably forget about it and get on with things and enjoy the RS3.
But it's not me, so not sure that helps.

Enjoy the M3.

Reactions: Nimbus265 and NormantheDog
If it was me it would nark for a little while that it's the wrong colour and then I'd probably forget about it and get on with things and enjoy the RS3.
But it's not me, so not sure that helps.

Enjoy the M3.

Normanthedog is not feeling the love from Audi......once you purchase any car the love goes out of the window.

Norm ? Have you raised this with the head of business at the dealership, rather than just speaking to the sales team.

I have tried everything I'm just coming up with brick walls a little bit like the treatment Dan is getting but is obviously much easier for me to walk away. BMW have offered another £1500 in stuff this morning so it's getting hard to say no. My discussions with Audi just seem to go around in circles when I can get hold of anyone.

I have got around that one for the odd days I would need such a thing I'll either work from home or get a lift with my wife on her winter tyres. Audi just have a strange attitude to business.

I dont blame you, Ive had shocking customer service myself from both Audi and VW and BMW it really depends on the dealer

They'll charm your pants off before the sale ! Its when things go wrong, that is how you judge a good dealership. Even in the same group Sytner for instance, Ive had very different experiences.

As much as I love the RS3 and have ordered 1, an M3 is an M3, brilliant looking car and brilliant to drive! It was a bit more than I wanted to pay unfortunately ( new borns are expensive!). However, had it came within budget then I probably would have went for one. By the prices you are quoting, a fully specced RS3 will come in at the same price as a base M3 (which is pretty much fully loaded as standard).

Out of interest what sort of discounts/deals are available on the M3 then fellas?

Quite incredible and both a BMW and Dealer contribution which covers any interest charges!

Reactions: DommyR
normanthedog works for bmw....went to look at the RS3 today....serious q car...maybe thats not a bad thing....not sure about it, will reserve judgement til I drive one. At least you can get a sunroof on this one !

A lot of the demos the dealers have look ****. Standard wheels with alum trim, makes it look a bit underwhelming. Not so much wheels actually but the silver trim

By the way norman you wont find the BMW forums quite as nice a place as here....its populated by complete numpties, especially bmw gb car club, they were having some kind of internal power struggle when I joined, was wierd ! Very much all about what car you had....you'll be ok with the M3 but i really needs to be a classic otherwise they'll say its not a proper one !!!

I'll be staying well clear of any BMW forums it has a real snobbish brand stigma and most owners are up their own ar5se thanks. Probably just need to quietly sign off now. My poor experience with Audi dealerships continues really felt let down with no compromising. If you don't mind the light headlining there is a cracking RS3 coming up for sale soon.....................thanks to everyone for their advice and help etc maybe I'll be back sometime and good luck to Dan I hope he has a better result than me.

Make sure you put pics up of m3 when you get it, would love to see it!

Reactions: NormantheDog and ACWKGYTO