Audi beam vs cheap alternatives

Ormesome

Reaction score
As per the title really! whats everyones views on the genuine Audi beam 4 ring light projection vs cheaper Amazon/eBay alternatives? Im getting fed up of buying cheap rubbish only for it to be.... erm rubbish! I hardly ever buy cheap knock off stuff as I believe that if we spend & invest wisely once then we shouldn't have to do it again, at least for a while! However with door lights I didn't think it worthwhile! Anyway, I had my door lights retrofitted a few months ago, the chap retrofitting them put in some cheap LED ones that hardly lit the floor so I bought some from eBay. Nice at first but after 3 months they are fading and the actual definition of the 4 Audi rings is terrible. Debating on buying the official Audi Beam lenses as they are on offer on various websites at £60. Whats everyones views? Photos to back up thoughts would be great.

Cheers & have a good Monday :rock::salute:

There' no comparison. I have a friend that bought aftermarket projector lights for his PFL s3 and they don't compare to the factory installed ones on my FL.
Parked up next to one another you can see a substantal difference.
Main one is the brightness, and secondly the cheap ones have this faint but noticeable rainbow like pattern that runs around the outline of the projected rings which aren't at all noticeable on my FL.

The genuine ones show clear, clean and very sharp. Well worth the money if you ask me

Reactions: Ormesome and EvOS3
They came on my 18 S3 as a $250 option.
33vkchv.jpg

Reactions: Andy F and Ormesome
After a year mine (genuine) now look more like a planetarium projecting into the ground. Should have mentioned it when it was in for service. Are they easy to remove and clean.

Reactions: Ormesome
After a year mine (genuine) now look more like a planetarium projecting into the ground. Should have mentioned it when it was in for service. Are they easy to remove and clean.

Think it’s more likely to be water ingress than dirt. My first two sets did this but as of March this year Audi revised them and fingers crossed solved this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Ormesome and Jassyo06
I’ve got some from eBay and they seem great. Nice and bright and no odd colours as of yet :) They’ve been fitted for about 3 months now so seem to be holding up well even with the muddy roads near me. There’s a few threads on this topic if you give it a search :whistle2:

Reactions: Ormesome and Jassyo06
Genuine all the way! Mine look great over a year on, only a tiny issue with one (planetarium effect lol)... Replaced by audi free of charge

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Ormesome

Very easy to remove just need a small flat bladed screwdriver

I got some off eBay/Ali Express for my PFL S3 and was generally happy with them, especially as they were about £8 a pair but the genuine Audi versions on my FL S3 are a huge step up in brightness and sharpness but to be honest I would not pay the extra £50 if they were not factory fitted

Buy cheap, buy twice.

That's true for anything imho, including puddle lights.

I have to say though, they are THE most pointless option/mod etc that I can think of. I mean, just why?

Chocolate fire guard anyone?

I have to say though, they are THE most pointless option/mod etc that I can think of. I mean, just why?

For the occasional, they are cool comment, but most of the comments are hiding the pretentious git thought....lol

Reactions: VinceXR and Ormesome
Just to follow this thread up. Got my Audi Beam delivered today. Wow! so impressed. clear lines & light is way way brighter than the ones i had in there. If anyone is installing the Audi Beam as a retro fit and wondering whether to splash out on these or some non-genuine ones off eBay/amazon then I would recommend these, especially as they are on offer at the moment through most Audi dealers.

IMG 0027

@Ormesome How much is "on offer"?

Tempted to get some for the rear doors (fronts were factory fit).

Got these 2 plus a few other bits so they might have been cheap because of that. But I got them for £40, they where listed at £60 on eBay but I put in a best offer. Delivery included mats and other things so not sure how much they would have charged for delivering just the Audi Beam. It was via Audi Aberdeen.

Got these 2 plus a few other bits so they might have been cheap because of that. But I got them for £40, they where listed at £60 on eBay but I put in a best offer. Delivery included mats and other things so not sure how much they would have charged for delivering just the Audi Beam. It was via Audi Aberdeen.
Sure you don't mean Audi Aberbeam ;)