Audi b8 s4 dsg clunk and rattle

George Tester

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 2010 audi s4 from a dealership and couple of weeks ago.

I have noticed there is a distinctive clunk when downshifting to 1st and also stationary going from park, neutral, drive reverse etc

The worst problem is there a rattle that is coming from the gearbox. I have had it looked at audi and they say it’s normal for it’s year however I think otherwise

Any advice on what to do? The dealership I bought it from are adiment the car is ok and had it booked into audi for me for a second opinion. If there was anything wrong found I was promised my money back.

To me this doesn’t seem normal but audi are saying it is

Thank you

2-1 clunk is normal and so is the rattle on stock exhaust. Some people have reported this low rpm rattle on aftermarket exhausts as well. The rattle is usually between 1300-1100 rpms if I am not wrong. The cause of this I believe is honeycomb / outside wire/mesh that rubs on the inner flex that causes the viabratons and noise. I had the rattle on my stock exhaust but nothing since changing over to Milltek.

The 'fix' for the clunk is transmission mount (034) which can either be bought from fleabay or AwesomeGTI in Manchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Research your car and symptoms, it’s a common fault.
Most likely a mechatronic unit. Ask to have the gearbox reset to basic settings and let it learn how you drive. If this makes no difference then it is probably the mech unit.

Hey guys thanks for your replies!

I took the car to audi and explained everything, went out with a technician on a test drive and showed him the noise

They said it is coming from the DSG and the answer I got is “it’s just wear and tear for it’s age and mileage”...

This is a 2010 with 56,000 miles

the noise I can describe is like a £1 going round a washing machine now and then.
It’s definitely not right

Difficult to tell from the video but are you sure it is coming from the DSG box as it sounds more like a tensioner??

Difficult to tell from the video but are you sure it is coming from the DSG box as it sounds more like a tensioner??

I second this, could you get a video from under the bonnet?

Hey,

I’m pretty sure Audi mentioned it was the dsg too but said it’s normal wear and tear for the car with its age and mileage

I will get a video from under the bonnet today too. I’m doing a oil change aswell so i will try locate the noise and post a video of it close up

Cheers guys

2-1 clunk is normal and so is the rattle on stock exhaust. Some people have reported this low rpm rattle on aftermarket exhausts as well. The rattle is usually between 1300-1100 rpms if I am not wrong. The cause of this I believe is honeycomb / outside wire/mesh that rubs on the inner flex that causes the viabratons and noise. I had the rattle on my stock exhaust but nothing since changing over to Milltek.

The 'fix' for the clunk is transmission mount (034) which can either be bought from fleabay or AwesomeGTI in Manchester.

Resurrecting an old thread here but I’ve only just noticed I have this rattle on exhaust. I think I may have just never noticed. I can only hear it with the window open when slowing down to about 10mph - is that the rattle you’re referring to? Doesn’t happen speeding up as far as I can tell. It does sound like an exhaust rattle.

Resurrecting an old thread here but I’ve only just noticed I have this rattle on exhaust. I think I may have just never noticed. I can only hear it with the window open when slowing down to about 10mph - is that the rattle you’re referring to? Doesn’t happen speeding up as far as I can tell. It does sound like an exhaust rattle.

Difficult to tell without listening to it in person but I would like to think yes. I could hear it even with windows up. Also, and like you said it used to happen around 10-ish mph and the rev range I mentioned above.

Difficult to tell without listening to it in person but I would like to think yes. I could hear it even with windows up. Also, and like you said it used to happen around 10-ish mph and the rev range I mentioned above.

Heard it today and narrowed it down. It seems to happen about 1000 rpm generally when I’m slowing down. Does that sound like the rattle you’re talking about?

Is there a fix for it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heard it today and narrowed it down. It seems to happen about 1000 rpm generally when I’m slowing down. Does that sound like the rattle you’re talking about?

Is there a fix for it?

IIRC Yes, it would happen between 1k-1.3k rpms while slowing down. I was told by members here as well as Audi that it was normal. Never happened ever since I changed from stock to Milltek.

Is there a fix for it?

Got this rattle at 1000rpm it's definitely one of the down pipes. I'm swapping them out with remus non resonated ones.

Please have a listen

Thank you

This is noise I have as well. Also when started cold it’s at about 1100rpm, then when dropping to 800rpm gets loud for a few seconds then. But when I put it in drive seems to go away. How did you fair with this problem?