Audi B6 420-TS - The Build.

As many on here already know, I'm purely an Audi 077-series V8 fan. I know that engine as much as many know the 1.8T - that is, intimately.

I am building a V8 turbo, for B6 420-TS. From the 3.0-specific thread I started, considering boosting the ASN / AVK motor, the response and reception that thread generated was interesting. There are mentions of the aluminium block, not being suitable to hold decent boost.

Well, the issue is not the aluminium block being the issue. It's the very internal design. The limitations are deep within the guts. The C5 RS6 block is aluminium, and copes well with updated turbos. What it all boils down to is this:

An aluminium block, that was originally naturally-aspirated, but with forged pistons, and the correct rods will hold boost fine.
A cast-iron block, that was originally naturally-aspirated, retaining the stock cast pistons and inappropriate rods will not hold boost.

The above applies to the aluminium 3.0 V6 and 4.2 V8.

I was lucky enough to purchase a short C5 RS6 (BCY) block. It came from a front-ended car, the impact was enough to tear the aircon compressor and left-hand engine bracket clean off the block, so the threaded mounting bosses are shot. My plan was to transfer the pistons and rods into a regular 40V block, and that plan is still valid.

However...I was going to use a D2 4.2 V8 40V motor as the base. I have worked with sw\aps, involving both the C5/D2 V8, as well as the D3 V8. They are similar, though in the course of my last B5 V8 conversion, I discovered the D3 block is very different to that of the C5/D2 blocks. It is based heavily upon the C5 RS6 motor, larger rear end, designed for a larger flywheel, thicker webbing, making the block stiffer, and the coolant passages are significantly different, similar size to that of the C5/D2 blocks, but with more metal, meaning thicker walls.

And this is where I have decided to make a slight revision. I've located a complete D3 4.2 V8 40V, from a 2005 car. I will be building this, using the C5 RS6 pistons and rods, but not the RS6 crank. I don't want the 10-bolt flywheel mounting boss, as this severely limits the flywheel options open to me. I will be rebuilding the heads, using OEM C5 RS6 exhaust valves, and stock 40V intakes. Intake manifolds will be custom. I do have a C5 RS6 single-stage intake, but I doubt I'll be using it.

Building my 2000 B5 A4 Quattro, with a D3 (BFM) 4.2 V8 40V taught me a lot, the block similarities to the C5 RS6, the head similarities to the D2 S8, including the same dual-stage intake, and very similar camshaft profiles. And, the machining and drilling required to bolt a C5 RS6 motor to a stock 01E 6-speed, without the need for a length-increasing adapter plate (RS6 guys, take note).

My D3 4.2 V8 40V motor. I'll be making a 554-mile round trip to pick it up next weekend. I'm hiring a van, I definitely wouldn't put that in the back of my Avant.

Well, the BFM engine didn't kind of work for me.

The seller wanted to strip most of the ancillaries off, which I was not keen on. He wasn't willing to come down in price either, so I let it go. I'm most likely going to purchase a complete running D3 4.2 V8 Quattro, as a donor car, that way everything I'll possibly want will be there. I'll also get my money back and some, when I part out the rest, leaving more than enough to purchase a cheap R&D B6 A4.

As for the exterior, I've started sourcing B7 RS4 Avant body panels. One of the most important aspects of bodywork, is finding a decent shop to work with. One that has a ton of custom cars that have been through their workshop, and turned out well. A shop that just does insurance / accident crash repairs may be good, but may not be interested in doing any work that's beyond stock.

I have located a shop, and I've seen some of their work, which is pretty good. They also have a handful of magazine-featured cars under their belt, one of these is a 2009 VW Golf V R32 clone. Built from a lowly 2.0 TDI, it's now AWD, and pretty much an R32 with a diesel engine. I looked at the welding, the seams, and they're pretty much like a factory car.

I'm going to see the shop owner tomorrow, and have a long chat with him. It pays to build up some sort of relationship with a shop's owner.

My B6 will be at 129,000 miles by the end of the week...

I was lucky enough to snag a set of B7 S4 aluminium alloy wheels, with tyres. The wheels are 8"x18" with an offset of 45, shod in 235/40x18 Continental Contact 2.

The wheels are all straight, though there's a bit of kerb rash. I was going to give them a clean, and fit them as they are, but i've decided to get them refurbished. There's a legendary wheel refurbishing firm here - Spit and Polish who's been around since 1984. I have used them in the past, during my Type 85 Audi Coupé Quattro, Ur Quattro and S2. They're simply the best. They also refurbish wheels for dealerships all over the country.

I'm kind of undecided as to what color to go with - standard silver or white. I think white will go well with the Denim Blue Pearl paintwork. I'll have the stock 7.5"x17" wheels refurbished too, but anthracite with the faces diamond cut and lacquered.

The good thing about Spit and Polish, is their collection and delivery service. Pick up on Wednesday, delivered on Saturday, or pick up on Saturday, deliver on Wednesday. I'm going to strip the tyres off, and get them picked up. Pictures once they're all fitted!

I had the tyres stripped from my B7 S4 wheels this arvo. They'll be picked up for refurb sometime next week. I'm still very much undecided as far as colour goes, though.

I guess I'll surprise myself. [;)]

Suspension / drivetrain items I need to purchase. Items in green I've already gotten hold of. I'll be updating this list, as purchases are made, and more items are being added.

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.
B6 A4 / S4 front sway bar C-links.
Built B6 3.0 / C5 2.5 V6 TDI 01E 6-speed gearbox.
B6 A4 3.0 Quattro (pre-2002) 4.11:1 rear differential.
B6 A4 3.0 Quattro (pre-2002) 01E shifter.

Brembo 6-piston front calipers, rotors TBC.
Brembo rear calipers, and Brembo parking brake calipers, rotors TBC.
B6 S4 KW V3 or Eibach Pro-Street adjustable coilovers.
B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro front axles and 01E gearbox output flanges (130mm).
Vibratechnics aluminium Motorsport engine mounts (will work for my 3.0 V6, and the D3 4.2 V8 40V).
Custom V8 40V solid billet steel flywheel.
B5 A4 Quattro front subframe.
B6 custom solid rear differential mounts.

With my engine being built over the winter months, I've decided to look into the exterior.

I love the current colour, Denim Blue Pearl Effect, but with genuine B7 RS4 panels, I need something more striking, that will show off the curves and bulges to greater advantage.

I want to stay with blue for obvious reasons - to avoid having to paint the engine bay, plus I like blue anyway. The new blue will extend to the door shuts, the entire luggage compartment, under the hood and top of the fenders.

My blue options are:

Pelican / Kingfisher Blue.
Sprint Blue.
Riviera Blue.
Ara Blue.
Sepang Blue.

Any thoughts guys?

Today, I pulled the trigger on a couple more OEM parts. At the prices, it would have been rude to ignore them:

2008 B7 RS4 Avant OEM cat-back system. With the vacuum-operated active rear mufflers.
2008 B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper. Lovely wideness.

I'm picking up the exhaust tomorrow, and the bumper on Saturday.

Things are moving on.

The B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper is not mint, but as I'll be chopping it up, to graft the middle of the B6 upper section in, the area around the B6 tailgate and under the B6's tails, it doesn't really matter. I'm pretty stoked.

The cat-back looks like new. Obviously, like all current Audi models, it's stainless steel, and it'll polish up like new. Time to crack out my metal polishing kit.

I want this car to be as close to an OEM B6 RS4 Avant as I can possibly get it.

B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper:

B7 RS4 Avant cat-back, with vacuum solenoid-operated active rear mufflers:

So today, I did a 377-mile round trip to pick up my B7 RS4 Avant cat-back. Damn, that thing is insanely heavy, no ****.

I almost feel like throwing it onto my car, with the 3.0 still in place, I need to exercise some self control. I'm going to polish it up over the weekend. On Saturday though, I've got a 520-mile round trip, to pick up the B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper. Ugh.

I was due to pick up my B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper tomorrow. After looking at the distance to drive, it worked out greater than my original 520-mile round trip estimate. It's actually 237 miles each way, making the return trip more than 570 miles.

I ended up persuading the seller to ship it. For the £22 delivery charge, it's a no brainer. It'll cost more than a full tank of gas, with a full tank costing £67...

My shop is pretty stacked up with work, so I'm going to do the B7 RS4 panelling myself. So, I'll be taking an angle grinder to my car, removing the sections that count, and trimming the B7 RS4 Avant rear quarters to match, losing every trace of B7 in the process.

My next step is to purchase a mig welder. It's a while since I welded, but I've never forgotten how. The rust will drop off, after a 30-minute practice session on some old panels...

I scored a great deal today, on a B6 RS4-style hood grille. It matches the lower grilles in my Votex front bumper perfectly.

This bumper will form the basis of my B6 RS4, the OEM upper bumper and the lower Votex apron fused together as one, and widened to match the B7 RS4 bulges, which themselves will be welded into the B6's fenders.

Updated list!

Suspension / drivetrain items I need to purchase. Items in green I've already gotten hold of. I'll be updating this list, as purchases are made, and more items are being added.

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

Vibratechnics aluminium Motorsport engine mounts (will work for my 3.0 V6, and the D3 4.2 V8 40V).
B7 RS4 OEM complete exhaust (cat-back) with active rear mufflers.
B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper.
B6 RS4-style hood grille.

B7 RS4 side skirts.
B7 RS4 fenders.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarters.
B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 RS4 front wheel arch liners.
B7 RS4 rear wheel arch liners.

As many may already know, one of the B6 A4's issues is corrosion. And besides the fender / front wheel arches, one of the areas with a blatant moisture trap, is the lower door blades. Moisture and grit can sit between the plastic, and the metalwork. Over time, the grit will attack the paint, due to vibration, and expose the vulnerable steel beneath.

Short of removing the blades at least twice a year, to allow any accumulated dirt to be washed, and the channels dried, there's no way of keeping the Red Terror at bay.

I have decided to lose mine. With the amount of welding involved in building a B6 RS4 - rear quarters, as well as welding the B7 RS4 fender bulges into the stock B6 fenders, having steel welded to the bottom of the doors, is a minor affair.

I have the doors off my Akoya Silver sedan, and I'll be using them. I have removed the door blades, I'll drop them off at a steel fabricating shop, they will replicate them in steel, with the appropriate return lips. I will weld these to the bottoms of my doors, and transfer the lower sealing rubber strips. I'll have to spot weld, taking my time, allowing the metal time to cool down in between, to prevent warpage.

The area between the steel "blades" and the doors will be filled, giving a seamless finish.

I pulled my B7 RS4 exhaust from my storage today, and gave it an appraisal.

It's in perfect condition, the cut-off flaps move freely. I just gave it a quick wipe, but it'll polish up great.

As you can see from the picture (the left-hand rear section, marked with masking tape) I had to cut it. There was no way it would fit in the rear of any Avant, not even the much larger A6 C6/7. It was just too wide. I cut the left-hand rear section off. It's not a big deal - if you purchase most Audi genuine rear sections, you'll have to cut the old one off, in the right place.

I've ordered the appropriate sleeves from Audi. I ordered 4, as I might just end up cutting the right-hand rear section off from the main system, too, in the same place. It'll certainly make it easier to mount in place, it's quite heavy.

Time to purchase a plastic welding kit, I'm going to be pretty busy with this baby. [wrench]

My B6 RS4-style grille turned up today. It's pretty well made, too. It has the option of badged, or de-badged. I prefer the badged look.

Great work mate! Can't believe nobody has commented yet. What is your day job as you seem to know engine control down to the ground?

Great work mate! Can't believe nobody has commented yet. What is your day job as you seem to know engine control down to the ground?

Thanks bud!

I did work for Audi and Volkswagen for a combined 21 years as a Technician, the last 9 as a Master Technician.

I currently work on even bigger engines, and much bigger vehicles, in the shape of London Double Deckers, inc. hybrids.

Reactions: DrStrange and Northampton_ofn
As with any project, specification is subject to change. Until each phase is completed, nothing is cut and dried. B6 420-TS is no different. Heck, even production cars seldom retain the same spec as the original design studies / concepts they were derived from.

I will be doing the engine in 2 stages - going with a stock D3 A8 4.2 V8 40V (335hp) to start with. This is to ensure fitment and my custom harness routing. It's easier to iron out bugs this way, without the added complexity of boost. In the meantime, my built motor can evolve, with no pressure to rush things.

I was also looking at keeping the car blue, albeit a different shade to the stock Denim Blue Pearl Effect the car currently sports. I'm not 100% decided though. There are so many colors in the world, so why not push the boat out further?

While the car is devoid of an engine and transmission, I could just get the engine bay primed, and painted in whatever colour I've chosen. At least, it would clean up easily, as I gave the engine bay a thorough cleaning, the last time I pulled the motor and transmission.

The question now is, what color? I'm open to suggestions, and it doesn't have to be an Audi color. However, I must say I love bold, bright colors, and suggested colors should reflect this. Colors must also be metallic / pearl effect / mica.

So come on, guys. Feed me ideas!

Updated list - February 07th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 side skirts.
B7 RS4 fenders.
B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

More progress!

I managed to snag a par or B7 RS4 side skirts, as well as a pair of rear doors. Oddly enough, they're Sprint Blue, the same color as the B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper I've also purchased. It's almost like I should have my car in that color too. [:d]

I'm picking up the skirts and rear doors on Friday, and while I'm there, I'll see what else I can grab.

Ok Nollywood,

Sorry for not commenting sooner! I concede you kept your build thread under wraps and only just noticed from your comment on another thread..

Anyways...Im fully up to date with the above.

What a read!! Wow, great work so far. Do keep it up and see it through to completion. Ive read so many great threads that do make it to the end haha. But know you will :p

With Regards to colour, its a tough one. Over the years ive become a huge fan of pretty much all blue hues that audi do. It depends on the car. I do love love Sepang blue i gotta say. But at the same time, (not sure what paint code) love midnight blue. Try Googling the Avant in the colour you wish..sure there is bound to be the one you like.

I will be keeping close tabs on this thread now :)

Ps. This morning, I was having a snoop on an Audi Facebook group and someone is selling the complete A5 S4 V8 engine plus gearbox, cats and manifold for £1,750 !!!!! Instantly thought of you. This is diverting from your original plan but let me know if you want me to forward you the link!

Dan.

Updated list - February 15th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B7 RS4 Rear Doors.

B7 RS4 fenders.
B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

So, in the next 2 hours, I'll be making a trip down to pick up a pair of B7 RS4 rear doors, as well as a pair of side skirts.

I've also gotten a line on a B7 RS4 left-hand rear quarter panel, I'm just waiting for a confirmation text message, then I seal that deal too.

Updated list - February 17th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B7 RS4 Rear Doors.

B7 RS4 fender, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 fender, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter, left-hand side.
B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

I've finally gotten a pair of B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter panels! [:d]

The one I was going to buy would have meant finding the other side would have been pretty expensive. Most sellers know exactly what they're being used for - a conversion, as opposed to a repair, so they tend to want to sell them as a pair.

I'm getting these beauties next Sunday. They're pretty far from me, though - 308 miles / 5 hours each way, so I'm looking at a round trip of 620 miles / 10 hours. The things we do for our B6's, huh? [evilsmile]

Updated list - February 18th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B7 RS4 rear door, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 rear door, left-hand side.

B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

So after some deliberation, I was going to have the B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter panels shipped down. I've decided not to for a number of reasons, though.

I've also bought the front fenders, too.

For starters, these are pretty large parts, and very expensive. I would be really ****** if they were damaged in transit. So, I'm doing the trip myself to collect them.

This seller also has a hell of a lot of B7 RS4 parts. A real Aladdin's cave. Wheels, interior, including the B7 RS4 signature black headlining, complete with all the plastic trims. Front fenders, B7 RS4 complete centre console, including the push start button. Complete dash / fascia! Mirrors, wheel arch liners, door cards, brakes etc.

I'm going to pick what else I may need, so the trip will definitely be worth it. Unlike B5 RS4 parts, which are insanely expensive, due to the fact the car was produced for less than 2 years, in limited numbers, which has kept prices high, the B7 RS4 is more mainstream, and parts prices are fair.

I can't wait to get cutting, and see my slim-hipped, slim-shouldered B6 evolve into a more manly widebodied beast.

The hardest thing so far is deciding on a color to go with.

Updated list - February 19th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.

B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

I previously picked up a set of B7 S4 wheels, for my B6. I originally planned to have them refurbished in the original silver, and buy brand new rubber.

The B7 Widebody plan existed then, but I didn't realise I would have 90% of all the parts in such a short space of time. So, it didn't seem worth spending valuable funds on wheel refurb and new tyres, seeing as they will be on thee car for a pretty short time. So, I decided to remount the original tyres, and fit them to the car.

They look pretty neat, though I can't wait for summer, when I'll begin cutting, and welding, creating B6 420-TS.

Pictures!

I did a timing belt service on a 2007 B6 2.0T Avant Quattro S-Line.

Parking it next to mine, I realised for the first time, how much deeper the B6 rear quarters are. On the B7, the rear quarters are a lot shallower, with the bumpers being deeper to make up the overall depth.

With my B7 Widebody conversion, I have different options, all weeping my car unmistakably B6.

1) B7 RS4 bulges below the B6's swage lines, B7 RS4 rear door flares grafted into the B6 doors, retaining the B6 tails and nose.
2) B7 RS4 rear quarters, retaining the B6 tails. B7 doors, fenders, grafting in the B6's fender tips to retain the B6 nose.
Decisions!

Once I pick up my B7 RS4 rear quarters on Sunday, I'll start unpicking the spot welds, and trimming. That way, I'll decide on what route to take. Oh, and the B7 RS4 fenders are aluminium. So, no more rusty front wheel arches, which is pretty common with the B6 platform, and possibly the B7 A4/S4.

So...

As of yesterday, I have all the required parts to go B6 Avant Widebody. [:)]

I finished work yesterday at 06:00 hours, a 9-hour stint (I start at 21:00 hours). After snoozing for a couple of hours, and grabbing a hasty McDonalds breakfast, I brimmed my gas tank with 99 octane gasoline, and began my journey.

My first destination was Birmingham, as I was picking up a buddy of mine. It's good to have someone to talk to on a long trip, especially if you haven't had much sleep!

2 hours later, I arrived in Birmingham, and we began the long drive to Aladdin's Cave, to pick up my B7 RS4 Avant parts. I didn't realise how far it was, it was just past Carlisle, which is the border between England and Scotland. I was certainly glad of the company! We arrived with just a quarter of a tank of gasoline left.

Did I say Aladdin's Cave? Yeah, that's right! I sure did. This is pure RS4 heaven. There was enough hardware there to build 2 B6/7 Widebodies! And those sexy brakes, mirrors, suspension, rear seats, OEM B7 RS4 wheels, carbon fibre beltline trim etc.

I ended up with both rear quarters, gas tank flap, both fenders, and lastly, a complete B7 RS4 Avant black headlining, complete with all side and rear pieces, grab handles, sun visors, lights. I'm really chuffed with the deal.

After chewing the fat over this and that, we loaded up the car. It was pretty interesting, having the headlining in, and resting on our heads!

Of course, I had to drop my buddy off, and 39 miles into the drive, my lack of sleep began to take its toll on me, it was dark now, and suddenly, I was struggling to hear and understand what my pal was saying. The white lines on the motorway didn't look too straight either, and I had slowed to 50 mph, as my foot was gradually easing off the gas pedal.

My pal noticed it too, and we decided to stop at the next service area, which was 3 miles away. We kept up some aimless chatter, to keep me alert, and I also open both front windows, so the cold, crisp air could shock me out of my fuzzy haze. It worked, but unfortunately I pushed down harder on the gas. My speed increased to 90 mph, and too late I saw the slip road leading into it, I was going too fast, and I didn't fancy swerving into the narrow off ramp at that speed. I roared past.

The next service area was 13 miles further on. And I was more alert this time. I it in, and after parking up, my buddy and I went into KFC, and ordered food. I also ordered a strong, large coffee too.

The food, short rest and coffee did the trick, and we left, feeling less jaded. At least, I did.

Dropping my guy in Birmingham, I continued the journey alone, getting back into London a shade before 02:30 hrs. Of course, I was way too tired to unload the car, hitting the sack just before 03:00 hrs.

The journey too a total of 13 hours and 37 minutes, two tanks of gas, covering 685 miles, at an average speed of 69 mph. My gas range is 50 miles. Not too bad, in a heavy car, with a full load and 2 adults on board, with a 13-year-old 3.0 V6 motor. It never missed a beat, performing faultlessly.

Pictures to follow!

My instrument cluster info:

B7 RS4 Avant black headlining, with all the plastics and other bits and pieces:

B7 RS4 Avant rear quarters:

B7 RS4 fenders:

B7 RS4 rear doors, and side skirts:

B7 RS4 widebody parts:

Reactions: Dani_B19
Updated list - February 27th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.

B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 RS4 Avant black headlining with all matching trims and sun visors.

B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

I've ordered spot-weld drill bits. I'm going to remove the B7 RS4 Avant's outer skins, from the inner structures, to get them ready to fit my B6 Avant. The wheel wells were left in place, so there'll be no gaps between the wheel arches and the inner wells of the B6.

I need to purchase a set of body shop vise grips with jaws designed to hold sheet metal together, while it's being spot or seam welded.

I'm considering buying a spot welder too.

I have managed to get hold of a set of genuine B7 RS4 wheels, I'll be picking them up on Monday.

Yes, I know there are other nice wheels, but aftermarket, and I intend to have this car looking as OEM as I can.

So, I need to pick these up on Monday, strip the tyres off, and get them refurbished, with new centre caps fitted:

Updated list - March 03rd, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.
B7 RS4 Wheels - 9.0" x 19" ET 29.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.

B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 RS4 Avant black headlining with all matching trims and sun visors.

B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.