Audi auto boot opening system

MSJ

Reaction score
Rights guys I have had my A4 for a few years and the other day I thought should the boot spring up when I unlock the boot using the remote? I have never thought of this before now.

Comments welcome on if this should or should not do this?

For info mine is a 2.0 TDI sline 2006

Hi,
i don't believe the boot is meant to actually fully open when you press the 'open boot' button. It certainly hasn't on my 2 previous A4's.
All the button does is disengage the lock mechanism so as the boot can be lifted open.
Hope this answers your question,
Cheers,
Davie.

It was an option as new, however, people have tried to retrofit it and as far as I know, noone has been successful. Think there was a thread on another forum.

I've got it on mine, £30 option iirc

Never looked into how it actually works but at that price I can only imagine it's a "big spring" ?????

Damnit another mod i have now discovered and need to do!!

So new pistons and brackets needed then!, shame no one did a guide with parts and prices on those forums!

CSK: Any chance you can post pictures of the pistons each side of the boot and also the latch? Can you see any visible part numbers on pistons/latch so I can match against mine?

I have managed to retro fit the auto boot lid opening for my audi a4 b7 06 plate if you want to no how can tell you let me no

ta Ash

Hi,
i don't believe the boot is meant to actually fully open when you press the 'open boot' button. It certainly hasn't on my 2 previous A4's.
All the button does is disengage the lock mechanism so as the boot can be lifted open.
Hope this answers your question,
Cheers,
Davie.

Put a write up on this post Ash, or even start a new thread in the DIY guides section. Would definately be interested in this upgrade...

Ta da, here we go
Hinges:- 8E5 827 302 D - Right £24.89
8E5 827 301 D - Left £24.89
Springs:- 4F5 827 665 A x2 £27.13
Gas struts:- 8E5 827 552 K x2 £50.41

As you can see price for parts is £127.32! Plus paint to spray the hinges!!
A very expensive retro fit for a £30 optional extra,
I looked into this and its a retrofit i really wanted to do but couldnt justify paying that much for it.

mine has it 56 plate 170tdi s line (stated on sales receipt as auto boot lid) our kid has a 56 plate 170tdi s line and his hasn't got it .looked at the boot hinges ect side by side and there is no physical difference in the mechanisms must be internals on the struts ect .

Probably got some wound spring in hinges, does it make it a little harder to close aswell?

Understandable, only way you can do without is by electrics, like the Q7 etc.