Audi Approved Used Nightmare

owilks

Reaction score
Hi All

First time poster here, thanks is advance for any help!

My essay was too long to post in one go so see post below, hope that is ok?!

I bought an S3 from an Audi dealership (mentioning no names at this point) in March. The car was a year old so had two year warranty remaining. It included the usual approved used one year warranty but on a car that in only a year old this is normally irrelevant.

The car is perfect until October this year it develops a washer fluid leak, potentially from the passenger side headlight washer unit. No big deal (or so i thought) i booked it into my local dealership, this is a different dealer to the one I bought the car from.

Long story short, the local dealer says the front bumper has been removed and not replaced correctly (incorrect routing of wires and pipes) and so the warranty claim is void. They were surprised when i explain i bought it approved used some eight months earlier and suggested I take it up with the selling dealership.

Selling dealership were useless, wanted me to drive four hours each way to drop of the car, then pick up the NEXT DAY! If they came to the same conclusion they too would void the warranty claim. At this point I took the issue to Audi UK. They spoke to both dealerships and it has been going back and forth with no real progress.

I have told Audi UK that if i don't have a satisfactory conclusion by Wednesday i will be going to the ombudsman. Audi UK have passed that to the selling dealership as it is them who i would be complaining against.

The car hasn't been modified in any way, I use it through my business and all our vehicles are maintained regardless of cost. There is no way I would be messing with the bumper. I feel Audi will continue to fall back on the same ' the bumper has been off, warranty void' line. My argument is that I don't contest the bumper has been removed (if that is what the techs say) but it must have been done prior to my ownership and should have been picked up in the approved used vetting process. I have a warranty certificate which isn't worth the paper it is written one. The reason i went approved and paid the premium was purely for peace of mind and level of service. Well that is proving pointless.

It makes me question what other issues are lurking. What if the headlight, radiator, parking sensors, etc. failed. All would be fair game for voiding warranty claims as it stands.

Apologies for the essay (one i have told many times now!). Does any one have some words of wisdom should the worst happen on Wednesday. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: sve170
Sounds a bit pants to me. The Selling dealer will just say the car was fine when they sold it. So it's your word against them, and Audi will no doubt go with it's dealer network.

I'd just go to the ombudsman if by Wednesday you don't get any satisfaction.

A bit of bad media threat may help though. Tell Audi UK that if this isn't sorted out, not only will you go to the ombudsman, but you'll also contact Trading standards, the national press, and watchdog. The last thing they want is bad press. Not saying it'll work, but it can't hurt.

I bought an S3 from an Audi dealership (mentioning no names at this point) in March. The car was a year old so had two year warranty remaining. It included the usual approved used one year warranty but on a car that in only a year old this is normally irrelevant.

The car is perfect until October this year it develops a washer fluid leak, potentially from the passenger side headlight washer unit. No big deal (or so i thought) i booked it into my local dealership, this is a different dealer to the one I bought the car from.

Long story short, the local dealer says the front bumper has been removed and not replaced correctly (incorrect routing of wires and pipes) and so the warranty claim is void. They were surprised when i explain i bought it approved used some eight months earlier and suggested I take it up with the selling dealership.

Selling dealership were useless, wanted me to drive four hours each way to drop of the car, then pick up the NEXT DAY! If they came to the same conclusion they too would void the warranty claim. At this point I took the issue to Audi UK. They spoke to both dealerships and it has been going back and forth with no real progress.

I have told Audi UK that if i don't have a satisfactory conclusion by Wednesday i will be going to the ombudsman. Audi UK have passed that to the selling dealership as it is them who i would be complaining against.

The car hasn't been modified in any way, I use it through my business and all our vehicles are maintained regardless of cost. There is no way I would be messing with the bumper. I feel Audi will continue to fall back on the same ' the bumper has been off, warranty void' line. My argument is that I don't contest the bumper has been removed (if that is what the techs say) but it must have been done prior to my ownership and should have been picked up in the approved used vetting process. I have a warranty certificate which isn't worth the paper it is written one. The reason i went approved and paid the premium was purely for peace of mind and level of service. Well that is proving pointless.

It makes me question what other issues are lurking. What if the headlight, radiator, parking sensors, etc. failed. All would be fair game for voiding warranty claims as it stands.

Apologies for the essay (one i have told many times now!). Does any one have some words of wisdom should the worst happen on Wednesday. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you’ve ended up with either
1) a car that’s had a prang and not been fixed proper

2) a car that’s been ‘messed’ with (maybe intercooler has been changed) hence bumper off

3) a car that’s had its bumper off for something else and not been correctly refitted

I’d escalate it to the CEO of Audi UK explaining that you are being given the run around by Audi dealers.

Audi 133 thousand point check is utterly useless.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, sve170 and Jassyo06
Thats a worrying story for anyone who has purchased a car under Audi Approved Used. Who knows what they or anyone else has done to the car previously.

Was it a dealership car? i.e. ex-demo Although reading your post again, you say it was a year old, so unlikely that it was one of their demo cars, as they usually sell them on after about 3 months.

The selling dealership could claim they knew nothing about the bumper removal - maybe the previous owner had some work done?

It must be so frustrating to be in this position, hope you get it sorted. Hopefully with some goodwill from Audi UK.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Thanks for the replies.

The my word against theirs is what concerns me. I cant prove a negative and the selling dealer is saying they have 'no record of the bumper being off'. My response is that it isn't my problem, the 145,000 point check should catch these issues and they should either be rectified or the car not sold as approved. Just because Audi don't have a record doesn't mean it didn't happen pre my ownership.

Basically I am going to have to call them out at the ombudsman, either they are calling me a liar and I am attempting to defraud them or they messed up. If it was the former I would be struck off from my profession so not something I would even consider. That is the most annoying part.

What if the gear box or engine had been incorrectly repaired and blew? Would they fall back on the same excuse? I can see little worth in the approved scheme at the moment.

Anyway roll on Wednesday, maybe they will see sense.

How much is the repair cost for the fluid leak, and was it repaired by the other dealer? Also, I might get the car inspected for any other faulty front repairs, knowing that the bumper was removed and parts incorrectly installed......front end prang done by a dubious repair shop.
The selling dealer is responsible for any costs involved in this repair as this should have been found in their evaluations or at the very least they pay for the repair as a goodwill gesture. Audi U.K. should be able to instruct the dealer to do this, or that dealer may be in for a heap of pain from Audi.

Surely they're in breach of contract and you have legal grounds to move forward.

You purchased an approved used car.
Clearly they missed this fault before 'inspecting' the car and selling it.

Seems pretty iron clad to me. They can't sell you a car with a warranty then void said warranty because of their incompetence of inspecting the vehicle. They don't have a leg to stand on

Knock a bit of sense into them and I'm sure it'll get sorted. Usually the threat of escalation is enough for them to fix the issue

Contact the previous owner they should be able to provide some details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2) a car that’s been ‘messed’ with (maybe intercooler has been changed) hence bumper off

3) a car that’s had its bumper off for something else and not been correctly refitted

I’d escalate it to the CEO of Audi UK explaining that you are being given the run around by Audi dealers.

Right aff topic but wheres the uber boy racer car.....???? with awe the right options...lol

Reactions: T-800
If it helps, you aint on your own there - Just had a similar crappy experience with my Approved used S3.

I bought mine approved used from Chelmsford Audi towards the end of October. 5 weeks later, batteries knackered and I'm stranded and have to call out Audi Assist. I wont go into the whole story, but basically I live in Derby so there is no chance I am driving back to Chelmsford and they knew it too. When Derby Audi diagnosed a replacement battery plus diagnostic costs and advised it wasn't covered under approved used warranty I contacted Chelmsford. I was ignored time and time again followed by delay tactics and a general disinterest in helping me.

Derby Audi were absolutely fantastic - due to the fact they have a good relationship with me as a customer they even waived the diagnostics charges from the bill when the idiot at Chelmsford challenged it. I pointed out several times to Chelmsford, as the supplying dealer that I had only had the car for five weeks and to face a bill of a couple of hundred quid for a new battery was completely unacceptable. I stated that good old fashioned customer service should prevail here and token of good will (call it what you like) should be the least they can do. After all, they make enough money in the sale to account for this.

As a result of my experience, I will never ever set foot in Chelmsford Audi ever again. I appreciate others may have good things to say about them but based on my experience I wouldnt trust them one bit! Derby Audi on the other hand I have nothing but praise for based on my experiences with them over the years whilst I have owned an S4 Avant, an RS5 coupe and now my S3 sportback.

Although my battery woes are now over I have still written to Audi UK after the event in order to make them aware of the shoddy way I was treated and how that if it wasn't for Derby Audi's excellent service I would probably not buy another Audi. (ok ok I would but they don't need to know that!!)

Oh and ironically, whilst my car was off the road I was put in a Mobex car (something Audi assist sort out so the car isnt supplied by the dealer its supplied by Audi UK). So whilst Chelmsford Audi d1cked me about I had a '16 plate S3 on hire on my driveway courtesy of Audi UK!

Sorry to hear you are also having grief with your Audi.
I know the pain you will be experiencing, I am presently going through the same but after 10 weeks it is coming to an end.
If you search for a post titled ‘Brakes Slam in when driving‘ there is a lot of info on there which may assist you with your present issues.

But for now DO NOT go down the social media route just yet especially if you make derogatory comments about Audi UK. As per this first post keep the subject to what has happened and the grief you are getting trying to get an answer.
I know it will be hard for you to not destroy the dealers and Audi but it won’t get you anywhere.
Stick with the facts for now and mention all the grief and stress it is causing you.

Also your issue is with the dealer who sold the car to you, not Audi UK.
I went to trading standards and that’s what I was told, your grievance is with the selling dealer.

You can contact Audi UK yourself, get a case set up, get a case number in place then once that is done bypass the call centre people and ask to speak to the staff in the Audi Executive Office.
This is where you will be able to get your issue across much better, hopefully they will assist you.

The main thing is make sure they know the problems you are having with the dealers. Good luck and keep the forum members up to date on how you are getting on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I know what car you bought, I remember seeing a fully loaded S3 advertised on auto trader by Chelmsford a few months back, for what seemed like a good price. I was going to go test drive it but it literally was up on Auto Trader for I swear no more than 3 days then taken down again. Had a tonne of options and given your signature says your car has lots of toys...

Glad I didn’t go for it now, although it’s awful that it happens anyway to anyone! Wouldn’t want to wish anyone’s hard earned cash being abused in this way!

I recently got taken for a ride by Audi with stone damage to the air con condenser. Quoted £740 not covered by warranty. Despite others on here managing to get somewhere by Audi UK they just fobbed me off, even claiming they would never have helped anyone else with goodwill gestures and wouldn’t even look into the case numbers I had due to data protection.

In the end I just got a non approved part fitted by a local garage for sub 300. Works the same, I have 15 months / 18,000 miles left on my warranty and hopefully nothing else will go wrong that means they’ll notice a non genuine part is fitted to claim that the fitting of it has voided the warranty. I do at least have a record with Audi cust9mer services saying it shouldn’t affect the warranty for other parts unless there’s a direct issue ( so I suppose connected systems).

If it helps, you aint on your own there - Just had a similar crappy experience with my Approved used S3.

I bought mine approved used from Chelmsford Audi towards the end of October. 5 weeks later, batteries knackered and I'm stranded and have to call out Audi Assist. I wont go into the whole story, but basically I live in Derby so there is no chance I am driving back to Chelmsford and they knew it too. When Derby Audi diagnosed a replacement battery plus diagnostic costs and advised it wasn't covered under approved used warranty I contacted Chelmsford. I was ignored time and time again followed by delay tactics and a general disinterest in helping me.

Derby Audi were absolutely fantastic - due to the fact they have a good relationship with me as a customer they even waived the diagnostics charges from the bill when the idiot at Chelmsford challenged it. I pointed out several times to Chelmsford, as the supplying dealer that I had only had the car for five weeks and to face a bill of a couple of hundred quid for a new battery was completely unacceptable. I stated that good old fashioned customer service should prevail here and token of good will (call it what you like) should be the least they can do. After all, they make enough money in the sale to account for this.

As a result of my experience, I will never ever set foot in Chelmsford Audi ever again. I appreciate others may have good things to say about them but based on my experience I wouldnt trust them one bit! Derby Audi on the other hand I have nothing but praise for based on my experiences with them over the years whilst I have owned an S4 Avant, an RS5 coupe and now my S3 sportback.

Although my battery woes are now over I have still written to Audi UK after the event in order to make them aware of the shoddy way I was treated and how that if it wasn't for Derby Audi's excellent service I would probably not buy another Audi. (ok ok I would but they don't need to know that!!)

Oh and ironically, whilst my car was off the road I was put in a Mobex car (something Audi assist sort out so the car isnt supplied by the dealer its supplied by Audi UK). So whilst Chelmsford Audi d1cked me about I had a '16 plate S3 on hire on my driveway courtesy of Audi UK!

Always handy

https://www.ceoemail.com/index-search.php

Worked for me when a postal company wouldn't pay up a compo claim for a non-delivered PC worth £1100 that I had sold on fleabay for £700 despite sending via registered post and paying extra for insurance.

Reactions: T-800 and Audi Bairn
I remember a long time ago on my 2nd car and 2nd year of driving when I bought an XR2. I asked dealer about accidents. Dealer was a small family business that had been there for 25+ years and until this point had a good rep. He said it hadn't been in any. Bought it a few days later and got it home. It had problems starting but windows seemed to steam up a lot. Checking it thoroughly and then took the spare wheel out of the bought.

It was covered in red paint, same as the car and what looked like a poor repair. Took it back. Guy was an a hole. Spent 6 months trying to get my money back. I then parked it across their petrol forecourt, so noone could get petrol, hahaha. In the end I agreed to swap it for a Golf GTI MK2 8v on the forecourt which was a year older with slightly higher mileage and £600 more at £3895. Agree a discount and bought after a glowing AA engineers report that i paid for. Car was fantastic and in showroom condition despite being 5 or so years old. Kept for a few years and did 80K extra miles

Reactions: T-800