Facelift Audi Approved used car - Falsely advertised and missing part - Where do I stand?

Jonny_

Reaction score
I was supposed to pick up a 66 plate navarra blue s3 black edition on Wednesday. There were two main problems with the car when i got there which resulted in me not taking it.

1) The black edition wheels had been coated in gloss black all over. They were the standard silver in the website pictures. The paint which was done by the dealership had runs in. After arguing it they offered to swap them off another s3 which had the standard 5 twin spoke wheels . Does anyone know it terms of the value of the car/wheels what I am losing out on by swapping. I assume the black edition wheels is a more expensive option. Obviously I am entitled to get my deposit back and walk away from the deal because of this, but I would rather find a solution. Do you guys think i am within my rights to ask for new standard black edition wheels or a reduction for the car price if i swap for the standard ones, or at a push even ask for the 10 spoke which are an approximate £450 extra?

2) The boot parcel shelf is missing from the car. As a Audi Approved used car, I was assuming that standard missing pieces would be replaced. The impression I got from my sales representative was that this would not be replaced. Again, should I be expecting them to supply one for the car?

Thanks.

I'd be walking away from that tbh, can you actually trust the dealership if they are prepared to sell you the car presented in that way.
Why were the wheels painted gloss black, did you request it?
I'd be wanting them replaced or fully refurbished with the correct alloys if you wish to keep the car as it could look dodgy when you come around to selling it.
As for the parcel shelf, of course it should be replaced, it's part of the standard spec and is missing, is this not part of the multipoint check?

Reactions: RS3 S., oldoiler, stote and 2 others
Take your money elsewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: oldoiler, KenL and V6_Man
Just walk away mate and tell them you'd be interested only if these bits were done on the car. But then I'll question if the stealership has carried out all the other checks and replaced any necessary parts of approved used sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: no_idea, KenL and -Ju-
I'd be walking away from that tbh, can you actually trust the dealership if they are prepared to sell you the car presented in that way.
Why were the wheels painted gloss black, did you request it?
I'd be wanting them replaced or fully refurbished with the correct alloys if you wish to keep the car as it could look dodgy when you come around to selling it.
As for the parcel shelf, of course it should be replaced, it's part of the standard spec and is missing, is this not part of the multipoint check?

I did not request them no, nor does my sale rep know when and why they were painted black, all he knows is when it came from the West London dealership to Reading, they were already black but had to be resprayed due to curbing marks.. The West London dealership had pictures of the car with silver wheels on the website.

I was hoping I could get there tomorrow and make a few demands to sort it but after seeing all the replies here I think i have lost confidence and trust in the dealership and the process. The only possibility I can think of is if i ask them to send the car to the next local approved used car dealership which would be slough to repeat the inspection and take it from there.

Loads of cars for sale. Don't spend your hard earned money on the wrong one. I'd walk away as everyone else has advised.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Walk away! I had a similar experience with a dealer (parcel shelf missing and damaged wheels) on my A5. Turned out the car had been in shunt A WEEK before I bought it but the dealer never told me and me being naive I didn’t expect an accident damaged car to be an approved used Audi...lesson learnt.

Of course the car you’re looking at might not have been in an accident but you don’t want to be having these problems before you’ve even taken delivery of it

Walk away! I had a similar experience with a dealer (parcel shelf missing and damaged wheels) on my A5. Turned out the car had been in shunt A WEEK before I bought it but the dealer never told me and me being naive I didn’t expect an accident damaged car to be an approved used Audi...lesson learnt.

Of course the car you’re looking at might not have been in an accident but you don’t want to be having these problems before you’ve even taken delivery of it

Just out of interest how did you find out about the car being an accident? It has crossed my mind already because the black wheels definitely suggested the previous owner was a bit of a boy racer.

My normal mechanic noticed that the boot lid didn’t fit properly on one side. The whole rear quarter panel had been replaced. The dealer did mention it “had a scratch” and that’s why it had been painted but I didn’t notice the lid not fitting properly. I had a lot of rattles from that corner of the car too

It’s probably not what you want to hear but the car you're looking at just doesn’t sound right mate, save yourself the headache and find a different one

Reactions: V6_Man
I’ve a lovely little Navarra S3 3 door for sale to the right person ;-)

Reactions: Jcbmally, loftylad and Sandra
"Audi Approved" lol

From the Audi Approved Website,".....reassurance of knowing that all cars have to meet our meticulous standards before they reach the forecourt"

They put my rejected S3 back on sale the very next day.
Known fault.
Don't know how to fix it.

Haha. Yeah, RIGHT!
Absolute joke.

Reactions: KenL, JimmyMcGee and Jcbmally
"Audi Approved" lol

From the Audi Approved Website,".....reassurance of knowing that all cars have to meet our meticulous standards before they reach the forecourt"

Known fault.

Haha. Yeah, RIGHT!
Absolute joke.

Has yours gone straight back on? That’s terrible if it has.

"Audi Approved" lol

Known fault.

Haha. Yeah, RIGHT!
Absolute joke.

Probably hoping the next person will just put up with the fault or endure months of return visits back to the dealership.

You should maybe write to Audi Germany and tell them.

Last edited:
Reactions: loftylad, Pinky1959, TYb and 1 other person
I was supposed to pick up a 66 plate navarra blue s3 black edition on Wednesday. There were two main problems with the car when i got there which resulted in me not taking it.

1) The black edition wheels had been coated in gloss black all over. They were the standard silver in the website pictures. The paint which was done by the dealership had runs in. After arguing it they offered to swap them off another s3 which had the standard 5 twin spoke wheels . Does anyone know it terms of the value of the car/wheels what I am losing out on by swapping. I assume the black edition wheels is a more expensive option. Obviously I am entitled to get my deposit back and walk away from the deal because of this, but I would rather find a solution. Do you guys think i am within my rights to ask for new standard black edition wheels or a reduction for the car price if i swap for the standard ones, or at a push even ask for the 10 spoke which are an approximate £450 extra?

2) The boot parcel shelf is missing from the car. As a Audi Approved used car, I was assuming that standard missing pieces would be replaced. The impression I got from my sales representative was that this would not be replaced. Again, should I be expecting them to supply one for the car?

Thanks.

As others have said, walk away. There are plenty on other S3's out there to choose from.

"Audi Approved" lol

Known fault.

Haha. Yeah, RIGHT!
Absolute joke.
Bearing in mind how you must feel I can understand absolutely why you'd want to wash your hands of the whole sordid business, but I wondered if you'd thought about telling someone high up at Audi what's going on here.

It's shameful, that's what it is.

I'd have thought it might be worth an e-mail to a big cheese somewhere, if only to save some hapless punter from going through what you went through all over again...

Reactions: loftylad
Probably hoping the next person will just put up with the fault or endure months of return visits back to the dealership.

please also leave them a review on Google etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimmyMcGee and loftylad
This is Reading Audi ?
I ask only as it's my general area and if this is how they are I need to avoid them !
I usually use Camberley Audi.

If the car was advertised with silver wheels then that is what should be on the car , But if you get them changed you will not know if they are new or refurbed wheels , They will say it is classed as a used car and not change them also as said if they are mucking you about now , what if you have any issues with the car later will you trust them to repair it properly , I would walk away and get another car from another dealer .
Good luck.

Has yours gone straight back on? That’s terrible if it has.

Yep, I think they were writing the ad for the Approved Used Website as I left the dealership! lol
Went back on sale within 12 hours of me handing the keys back! Unfixed. Shameless, deceitful, sharp practice at the very minimum!

Feel genuinely sorry for the poor person who buys it. Dealer don't care. As soon as the next person buys it, Audi UK pay the dealer to try and fix it under warranty (again and again) until it (possibly) gets fixed.

Audi give zero f**ks. Audi Germany, Audi UK, Audi dealer. All the same.

Bearing in mind how you must feel I can understand absolutely why you'd want to wash your hands of the whole sordid business, but I wondered if you'd thought about telling someone high up at Audi what's going on here.

It's shameful, that's what it is.

I'd have thought it might be worth an e-mail to a big cheese somewhere, if only to save some hapless punter from going through what you went through all over again...

Wrote a 2 page letter to Audi. Response was shameful. Audi UK washing their hands as they say it lies with the Franchisee. Franchisee blaming Audi for the way it was. Truly disgusting.
All Audi UK wanted to do was sell me another Audi "with a special discount". Haha, No thanks. I'm done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally
Known fault.

Just what is the known fault? Picking up my MY19 S3 tonight, which was handed back by a fussy customer apparently. Scratches which he used to reject are fixed, but need to know if I need to look out for something else.

Thanks

Just what is the known fault? Picking up my MY19 S3 tonight, which was handed back by a fussy customer apparently. Scratches which he used to reject are fixed, but need to know if I need to look out for something else.

Thanks

Don't panic! Its a window/roof fault on a cabriolet! lol :icon thumright:

Just be aware of the tell tale signs of a salesman lying....their lips move!!! LOL

Reactions: Jcbmally, -Ju- and gforrow

Thanks

I would ask the salesman for a letter from the customer who rejected the car with faults detailed or ask for permission to phone the previous owner although they could just give a random number of another sales person.
I would be very wary if they rejected the car because of scratches , but
ENJOY the CAR collection and remember and post PHOTOS .

Am I missing something? You say you were due to pick up an S3 on Wednesday but on pick up you had problems. Did the car different from when you test drove it? or did you agree on a deal on the phone after seeing photos online? Did the state of the car change from when you physically saw it to pick up day?

Wrote a 2 page letter to Audi. Response was shameful. Audi UK washing their hands as they say it lies with the Franchisee. Franchisee blaming Audi for the way it was. Truly disgusting.
All Audi UK wanted to do was sell me another Audi "with a special discount". Haha, No thanks. I'm done.

Sounds like Audi UK customer services have as much power as VW UK Customer service. Zero.

Just go between's between the dealership and the customer. Can't tell a dealer to do anything. Waste of space.

All this from an Audi dealer! I'd be tempted to walk away too, but there doesn't seem to be an excess of used S3s out there at the moment, so being patient is hard! However, another car is sure to come along! I'm still looking for an S3 & funnily enough I'm waiting on a video of a 5 door manual in Navarra which I've been assured will be sent today, from, guess where...Reading Audi!

Reactions: quattrorally
Audi and VAG in general seem to have a completely disconnected structure of control management and checks. Audi UK seems to have no control over the franchises and the quality and service they offer. Then Audi UK can't get information out of Audi Germany to fix problems . I have a complaint with the reliability of the myAudi/MMI Connect functionality of my car that has been ongoing for over a year . I have just been told that they can NOT fix the problem, or can't be bothered too. Non of the different parts of the company can actually communicate with each other They have told me that I should go to the Motoring Ombutsman and raise a complaint ! My car is still in warranty.

I would be very weary of why the car was rejected ask to contact the original owner and find out don't trust the dealer.

I think we would all be surprised by the amount of accident damaged cars for sale at dealerships!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: loftylad, cuke2u and V6_Man
I think we would all be surprised by the amount of accident damaged cars for sale at dealerships!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

+1 to that. One of my neighbor's who used to work for ATS Euromaster mentioned that one of their customers brought them a 66 plate A5 to check that she was interested in buying from my local stealership. Found out that the passenger side front wing was replaced, had a bad paint job done to it, undertrays missing and bits scrapped. Apparently, the car had been 'checked' as part of approved sale.

Having said all that, none of us is making it any easier for people interested in buying approved used cars, are we

Reactions: Terminator x
Yes, and mine ( well hers actually !! ) came off the transporter with a broken roof ariel and a slight dent underneath it - hadn't even been out on the roads !
Dealt with very well by Dealer and went to a different body shop than their run of the mill place.....

Having said all that, none of us is making it any easier for people interested in buying approved used cars, are we

We all like a moan.
Problem is not many folk come on here and say I bought a new/used car from xxx dealer and it was great service and price etc.
We come on here and say this was wrong and that was wrong.

Reactions: loftylad and V6_Man
Yep, I think they were writing the ad for the Approved Used Website as I left the dealership! lol
Went back on sale within 12 hours of me handing the keys back! Unfixed. Shameless, deceitful, sharp practice at the very minimum!

Feel genuinely sorry for the poor person who buys it. Dealer don't care. As soon as the next person buys it, Audi UK pay the dealer to try and fix it under warranty (again and again) until it (possibly) gets fixed.

Audi give zero f**ks. Audi Germany, Audi UK, Audi dealer. All the same.

That’s terrible, Audi really aren’t making a good name for themselves at the moment. Thing is they don’t really care what enthusiasts think on here, they’ll rely on public buying blind.

Good news, I went back today and after a bit of back and fourth I did get exactly what I wanted, they were willing to take the black edition wheels off an 18 plate and the parcel shelf (Unfortunately this was missing from this car too??).. I asked them to redo their 149 check also. However, as many of you said the trust in the car was lost. So in the end I did walk away from that particular car, I decided i would give the dealership another chance as the sales rep was brilliant. All be it a little more expensive, I transferred my deposit to what appears to be an excellent condition 18 plate with the virtual cockpit which was there in the flesh.

This is Reading Audi ?
I ask only as it's my general area and if this is how they are I need to avoid them !
I usually use Camberley Audi.

The car was sent from West London Audi, thats where the main issues started. It did appear that Reading "missed" these issues and were willing to sell the car to me with them, however after a couple of blunt discussions they did put the car right. I wouldn't say avoid them but certainly know what to look for.

Am I missing something? You say you were due to pick up an S3 on Wednesday but on pick up you had problems. Did the car different from when you test drove it? or did you agree on a deal on the phone after seeing photos online? Did the state of the car change from when you physically saw it to pick up day?

I test drove the same car but an 18 plate, the actual car was at a different dealership so i placed a securing fee based on their approved used car perfect conditon etc etc promises to get it transported. I had not physically seen it until pickup day, they admitted that the condition it was sent from West London Audi was bad and they had to do a lot of polishing. I can't fault the work they did on the paintwork or the interior, that was very good. It was just the wheels and missing parcel shelf. They admitted straight away that i was perfectly entitled to walk away with my deposit no questions asked.

Reactions: NevMan, Pinky1959, Ormesome and 1 other person
Good news, I went back today and after a bit of back and fourth I did get exactly what I wanted, they were willing to take the black edition wheels off an 18 plate and the parcel shelf (Unfortunately this was missing from this car too??).. I asked them to redo their 149 check also. However, as many of you said the trust in the car was lost. So in the end I did walk away from that particular car, I decided i would give the dealership another chance as the sales rep was brilliant. All be it a little more expensive, I transferred my deposit to what appears to be an excellent condition 18 plate with the virtual cockpit which was there in the flesh.

The car was sent from West London Audi, thats where the main issues started. It did appear that Reading "missed" these issues and were willing to sell the car to me with them, however after a couple of blunt discussions they did put the car right. I wouldn't say avoid them but certainly know what to look for.

I test drove the same car but an 18 plate, the actual car was at a different dealership so i placed a securing fee based on their approved used car perfect conditon etc etc promises to get it transported. I had not physically seen it until pickup day, they admitted that the condition it was sent from West London Audi was bad and they had to do a lot of polishing. I can't fault the work they did on the paintwork or the interior, that was very good. It was just the wheels and missing parcel shelf. They admitted straight away that i was perfectly entitled to walk away with my deposit no questions asked.

Glad you got a car sorted. What spec was the car?

You'll have to upload some pics once you've collected it.

When I read `London` it all made sense as to why the car wasn't right. There are a few places in the UK that I would never buy a second hand car from. Especially one costing so much, and being from something deemed to be a `prestige` badge. They are London, Birmingham, Leeds, & Bradford.

The spec is pretty much identical, Navarra blue black edition, except for gaining the virtual cockpit and rest of the tech pack. What really swayed me is that this has about 2 years and 3 months left on the warranty, whereas the 66 plate would of only had a year, great piece of mind. Not to mention I couldn't spot a single fault on the car unlike the original one which had multiple scratches and bumps.

S3
S3 1

Reactions: Scotty75, NevMan, JohnM100 and 6 others
That S3 looks stunning. Good call. You'd never have been happy with the other car after that experience. I hope the dealership looked after you with the cracking price and a couple of free services.

Reactions: NevMan, Pinky1959 and Jonny_
Super clean exhaust tips on that one! Only saw a couple of S3s when I was at Reading Audi the other week.

The spec is pretty much identical, Navarra blue black edition, except for gaining the virtual cockpit and rest of the tech pack. What really swayed me is that this has about 2 years and 3 months left on the warranty, whereas the 66 plate would of only had a year, great piece of mind. Not to mention I couldn't spot a single fault on the car unlike the original one which had multiple scratches and bumps.

View attachment 181009 View attachment 181010

that colour is sick!!!!!! love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Report the stealership to Audi with your concerns and photos if possible
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately Audi won't give a Toss.

No, but if enough people do it then you will get a result, especially if through Instagram or Facebook links and would certainly shame the dealership involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: