Audi and Amazon to try car-boot delivery service

If the security side was top class then it's a good idea. can't imagine you'd get many car thief's tailing DHL hoping for an audi delivery.

I just don't get it.
I cannot see why you would want a parcel delivered to your car.
The delivery options available currently in the UK are excellent I think and bare minimal security risk.
Surely it's better to design a "secure dropbox" outside your home rather than integrate it with your car?

I just don't get it.
I cannot see why you would want a parcel delivered to your car.
The delivery options available currently in the UK are excellent I think and bare minimal security risk.
Surely it's better to design a "secure dropbox" outside your home rather than integrate it with your car?
I find it hard to believe that delivery options in the UK are excellent, not in my experience....

I find it hard to believe that delivery options in the UK are excellent, not in my experience....

So you can get it delivered to your door - probably the worst option
Get it delivered to your workplace - generally what I use as there's always somebody there to receive the goods
Pick it up from a dropbox location
Pick it up from a local store

How's that not a great choice of getting your goods?
I think it's excellent as you have a choice of options that work best for you.

If the security side was top class then it's a good idea. can't imagine you'd get many car thief's tailing DHL hoping for an audi delivery.

Agree this is a risk. Another way for your car to be unlocked remotely; cue another keyless entry thread.

Wait until the claims start of things getting nicked from car boots or main cabin where access is gained from the boot.

Also - imagine arranging the delivery to your car for convenience and then getting carded because your boot is already full of cr*p.

Home/work or Local pick-up points make much more sense...

As it isn't happening in this country anyway, perhaps there are those who can actually embrace this service. Personally I wouldn't, but then from my experience every kind of delivery carries a risk, a pickup point less so.

Last edited:
If it locks once boot is shut as stated, being a saloon owner and having no easy access to the rest of the car i don't really think this is a security risk? The code only works once and expires as soon as the boot is closed.. I'm sure most of the delivery drivers won't want to loose their job because they might see a tenner lying around or an iPhone (which can be tracked anyway) plus if you kept your dash cam running you would be fine too! I think it is a convenient idea. That being said i probably wouldn't want a delivery driver on a tight schedule rushing and damaging my boot lip chucking parcels in my boot! Haha.

Would you really be as stupid as to arrange a delivery to your car then leave some expensive item on view? Oh wait, judging from the huge majority of thefts from unlocked cars I guess the answer must be yes to that....

Guys, this is the future... Volvo came up with the original idea a few years ago. I work for a tech advisory company and have seen this in action.

If you want to see more stuff like this do a search for the future of the connected car.

Yep - with Apple and Android Car Play etc. you'll be able to unlock your car and start your car with your smart phone.

What a great idea :p

(Cue Advanced Key thread No.3) :p

Reactions: Brasso and Blackwhite
Yep - with Apple and Android Car Play etc. you'll be able to unlock your car and start your car with your smart phone.

What a great idea

(Cue Advanced Key thread No.3)
There will be no end to it!

Part 3. Part 4. Part 5. Etc.

Reactions: veeeight

What a great idea :p

(Cue Advanced Key thread No.3) :p

Just this time it'll be a no key thread.

Not something I'll be taking up given some of the delivery experiences in the past.

But on the subject I was more worried this morning by a story on hacking railway signals as I get the train to work

DPD is all you need. They give you a 1 hour delivery slot and you can even track them on your phone...it's so easy to arrange for someone to be at your home for a 1 hour window! In the past I've called my neighbor from work and asked if they could nip outside in 5 minutes to meet the DPD driver and take my parcel in for me.

Am I the only one that would be worried about the careless courier damaging my car as they get the parcel in the boot?

Reactions: S32B
I wouldn't be concerned about the delivery driver trying to steal etc personally.
I'd be more worried about the technology involved.

The problem is that anything that has been made can be unmade. Any system can be hacked and the more open plan and restricted security access etc that is accessible to our vehicles then the more chance somebody who is clever and up to no good can gain full access to the vehicle and do as they please

DPD is all you need. They give you a 1 hour delivery slot and you can even track them on your phone...it's so easy to arrange for someone to be at your home for a 1 hour window! In the past I've called my neighbor from work and asked if they could nip outside in 5 minutes to meet the DPD driver and take my parcel in for me.
That'll be the dpd driver who delivered my expensive goods by handing them to a unknown person through a window instead of coming to my business's reception. He also couldn't speak english...

I'll refrain from wandering into advanced key territory after the hiding I received last time................... ;)

Will definitely be giving this delivery nonsense a big miss though for most of the reasons stated above.

......besides, if you miss your delivery at home or work isn't it just a good excuse for another needless trip in your pride n joy to pick up from the courier's depot? :racer:

......besides, if you miss your delivery at home or work isn't it just a good excuse for another needless trip in your pride n joy to pick up from the courier's depot? :racer:
That's almost as good as "I'm just going up the road to dry the wheels off love" after you have washed the car :p

Reactions: Simon L