Audi A6 MMI HIGH usb installation??

Simon newton

Reaction score
hi all, I have a 2008 Audi A6 Le Mans, I have got the MMI HIGH with sat nav but only a 6 disc CD player, no Blutooth either, I want to install a sub so I can play music from s memory stick and for it to show up on my MMI, I've seen AMI cables on eBay but I don't think my car has got the female slit to plug it into, my car has not got the removable flap by the CD player where on some models has the female slit, but I have the sat nav in the boot of the car, can someone point me in the right direction so I can get the right thing installed please.

U need mmi 2g high usb/ ipod interface
I'll put up a link for you

Thank you, think I might go with the dension 500 gateway!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    346.7 KB · Views: 724
Yes, just make sure you connect to a permanent live for power.

I will warn you against the 500s bt! I have had exactly that model in my a6 for about 4 months.
It started out great, a lot of functions that see seemingly worked well. It did have problems getting the track listings right on my iPhone, and it wasn't very easy to browse music on my iPhone, but nothing major.
However about a month ago, it started draining my battery over night! It was drawing 5a, I think it was stopping the mmi from shutting down.
So I put it on a switched live, so it was off when the engine was off, that fixed it, but then I couldn't have the mmi on with the engine off. So I contacted Dension support. Eventually they offered me a few software updates.
I did those, and a few days later, the device flashed a few times, and then switched off for good, it hasn't worked since!
I have now managed to get Dension to offer me a refund, but they will only give me the money when they receive my device in its original packaging with its original accessories, and I have to cover the postage to Hungary at over £20!
I have just bought a used mmi module with cables for £200, and all the mmi cables I need to do an install in the arm rest. I will do a write up when that's done. All in with all the cables from Kufatec in Germany, the mmi install will be about £260, and hopefully very reliable!
The whole experience with Dension has really put me off. I think it's a great device with a lot of features, but not very reliable!
Audi told me they used to offer Dension devices as an option, but they stopped after serious reliability issues.

Reactions: Simon newton
Thank you very much for that, I haven't got a clue about what to get for my car and the dension seemed the best option, that would be great if you could post how to upgrade the mmi, that is what I really wanted to do in the first place

Your welcome. Obviously it's up to you to form your own opinion of the Dension. But that is my honest experience with it. I know B5NUT has one as well. It is worth noting that the Dension has a lot more features than AMI.
As far as retrofitting AMI goes, this is everything you need to know http://a6retrofit.com/ami-retrofit-audi-music-interface/
They can be a little tricky to get hold of, Audi will sell you one, but I think it's about £4-500.
I got mine by messaging about 12 people on ebay who were breaking A6s, of those, one still had it and offered it me for £200.

Ah that's a result for £200, thanks for the link, it looks easy enough to install and get rid of the CD player, I've now just got to find someone with one to sell! Cheers mate

Yeah absolutely! I'm going to cut my glovebox to allow me to keep the cd changer. Message all the breakers on ebay, there is someone who still has one, I didn't buy it as he is very slow with messages, but I can give you his user ID if you like.

Thanks mate, I've messaged him but nothing back yet!

Over the years I've installed a fair few Dension unit's to my own cars & customer cars (few years ago) but I've not installed one of the BT versions. I've had firmware fault with Dension & all have been fixed with updates. However as there range of cars has increased over the years then so will the complexity of their software, so they could be suffering more bugs.

It's a bit poor that the supplier won't exchange the unit, now that dension have accepted the unit as faulty.

If it was my money these days I would stick with the genuine Audi hardware as it all just works! Only down side would be you don't get some of the functions that 3rd party hardware does.

Over the years I've installed a fair few Dension unit's to my own cars & customer cars (few years ago) but I've not installed one of the BT versions. I've had firmware fault with Dension & all have been fixed with updates. However as there range of cars has increased over the years then so will the complexity of their software, so they could be suffering more bugs.

It's a bit poor that the supplier won't exchange the unit, now that dension have accepted the unit as faulty.

If it was my money these days I would stick with the genuine Audi hardware as it all just works! Only down side would be you don't get some of the functions that 3rd party hardware does.
In all fairness, Dension did accept that the unit was faulty and did offer an exchange. I would still have had to post them my old one at my expense thought. I bought it directly from Dension, so there was no vender.
By that stage I was so fed up with the various other bugs on the device that I didn't want to keep using it, so I asked about a refund.
I fitted the AMI last night. I have only tested it with a USB stick as I'm waiting for a lightning to AMI cable to arrive for my iPhone, but it works a lot faster and smoother than the Dension already!
I hope it works well with my iPhone 6.

How did you get on with the Dension 500? I'm looking at my options for AMI/Dension/VNSMedia. Not sure which one to get though.

My Denison unit still plays up on my A6 from not connecting to Bluetooth to after a phone call the radio is really loud for a while and you can't turn it down. Switch off the Ignition while on a call and when you end it the whole audio system whistles until ignition switches on again, also don't open a door if you have switched the ign off while in a call as it will cut you off. Also don't answer the phone if you've opened the boot as Bluetooth kicks in!
The music on the iphone will jump back to the same track when you plug in the lead after a few journeys. I gave up on the Bluetooth music as it was so buggy and things like when I left the car the music would start on my phone! It regularly just says initialising. Power off then on back again. Technical were tried many times and various firmwares. To be honest I have given up. Don't get me wrong when it works it's great but worst electrical item I've bought in years. And I'm an audio/electronic engineer with good computer skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an AMI from ebay, a user called Turbo Herbie or similar. Brand new and paid about £360 for it. His aftersales service was excellent as I couldn't get mine to work straight away.

I fitted a Dension to a MK5 Golf in the past and the sound quality was never great. A lot quieter than playing a CD or the radio