Audi A6 - General Advice

EV2UK

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I'm new hear and would like some advice please..

This coming weekend I'm going to look at a 2001/2 A6 2.4 Avant..

The thing is it has 165,000 on the clock.

It's has only had 1 previous owner and has a full main dealer history, is this kind of mileage to much for this car...?

..any bying advice would be great as I'm new to Audis...

Thank You..

..Tony..

I have a 1999 2.4 Avant and it's one of the best cars I've ever had. Out of sight better to drive than the 2001 Volvo v70 I had before. Mine only has 92000 on the clock but in my experience you should look for the following:
The engine should be smoother than silk right up to the red line. Performance is good rather than earth shattering but it should pull well and consistantly from low revs to the top. Mine has the older tiptronic 'box which was a bit agricultural at the best of times. A 2002 model will probably be new enough to have the multitronic 'box which is brilliant, but i believe early versions of it had a few problems, check that these have been ironed out. The most problems seem to be with the suspension. On the front there are masses of joints and bushes and they wear to the point it can litterally start to fall appart. Also check the back shocks, but these are a 10 minute doddle to change on non quattro cars. Interior trim is of the very highest quality and should be in excellant cond at any milage, if not the car has been abused. Bodywork and paint again is very long lasting but check for corrosion along the roof gutters. If its been properly looked after and serviced 165k should not be a problem apart from maybe slightly sloppy steering/handling.
Otherwise enjoy German engineering at its best. I get 28 mpg mooching around the lanes and 33 on a long run through France.