Audi A6 C5 - Doors not unlocking

b5dav

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I purchased a A6 1.8T Quattro on a W reg yesterday and now the central locking doesn't seem to unlock the car except the driver side door

A few points worth mentioning:

1. I only have 1 key and the fob doesn't seem to work, i have changed the batteries
  2. Yesterday and this morning i was able to lock/unlock the car with the key
  3. Now the driver side door unlocks but the little red led keeps blinking and when i shut the door and start the car the alarm goes off
  4. With the key in the drivers door, the car seems to make a locking noise, the same when you press the button in the car. However the unlocking doesn't seem to do anything - no noises
  5. Once in the car you can't open the passenger side door by pulling the lever
I'm going to do some research online and see if i can find a fix but if anyone has had a similar issue your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like for a start your remote fob isn't matched to the car so I would start there. To do so you will need to get a second key cut, which can just be a 3.99 eBay blank and doesn't need to be coded to the immobiliser, it just needs to mechanically operate the door lock while the other key is in the ignition. Then, layer on you can buy a second hand Audi key, swap the blank over and have it coded to the immobiliser should you wish. The important thing is that you get a copy of your key cut asap as if you lose the only key it will be very expensive to replace all the locks barrels!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6833jon
Thanks for the advice Rich, a second key has been ordered which will be with me in a few days.

Thanks for the advice Rich, a second key has been ordered which will be with me in a few days.
Have a look for a small family owned locksmiths as the bigger ones like Timpsons won't cut your blank and charge you for a new blank. I usually get car key blanks off ebay and cut for £5-10 in a local locksmiths

Got a key cut today, so will try the when i get home. However reading online i beginning to wonder if the micro-switch has failed on the door lock. Reason i say that is door symbol was showing on the dash when i last drove it and the interior lights didn't switch off when i locked the car (this was when they were working). Let's see....

Well that didn't work so I thought I'd disconnect the battery and reconnect sometime later and then the alarm wouldn't stop going off. Booked in to mechanics on Monday to run diagnostics.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Called the AA today just to see if they could highlight the issue. The engineer ended up disconnecting the module under the passenger side from the driver side as the passenger side door wouldn't open. The unit looks in good condition although I've not opened it, but it wasn't damp or anything. Door locks work manually for the time being and the alarm horn was unplugged too as it was still sounding.

Hope you don't mind my posts, I'm just keeping a log here for anyone that may have the same issues

Sounds like an odd fault, a scan on diagnostics will probably highlight something. At least you have a second key now in case you ever lose the other one.

Where are you based as there are quite a few forum members with vagcom available that may be able to help scan the car

I'm based in Dudley but I'm getting a free diagnostic as part of my service but if anyone is local that would be helpful to know. Cheers

Update following diagnostics..... Apparently my key doesn't send any signals so a new key has been ordered and will need programming. It's booked again for 2 weeks time

Update - New key was ordered and reprogrammed and all seems to be working as expected. However the alarm siren is disconnected as it keeps sounding. Apparently they have a battery inside? and possible cause of the siren sounding is the internal battery is going flat.

We had that on our 03 Reg A3. The battery's in the unit leaked and it just did its own thing. The A3 was a sealed unit.

Chang new locking module in side loosen.
Or sending to me rebuilding.

Attachments

• DSCF0144.JPG
    DSCF0144.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCF0149.JPG
    DSCF0149.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCF0151.JPG
    DSCF0151.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCF0148.JPG