Audi A6 Avant 1.9tdi 6 speed - manual

Jetcat

Reaction score
I am looking to get an Audi A6 Avant 1.9tdi 6speed manual (04), any one have any ideas if there is much difference in performance/economy between the 5sp box and the 6sp box. Does anyone have any info on how the 6sp box is for towing.

:shrug:
Thanks in advance

Nick

Jetcat, the 6sp man box will give worse fuel consumption (prob 5-10%), but is more than offset by the better driveability. IIRC the torque is quite a bit higher with the 6sp box. Can't comment on towing. For me, 6sp is way better - I would definitely go with that.

Cheers for that, going to lok at a 6 speeder on the weekend.

Nick

1.9 for towing? why such a small engine for such a large car?

The reason for the 1.9tdi is economy, my brother in law has the 2.5 tdi and he only gets mid 30's mpg. I currently have a 2.5l petrol volvo v70 which does 29 - 32mpg on a run an about 20mpg towing, (£90 to do 360 miles). A friend of mine has an A4 avant 1.9tdi and towing gets 37mpg and normal driving gets 52mpg. I would have an A4 but its not big enough.

Nick

Jetcat, the 6sp man box will give worse fuel consumption (prob 5-10%), but is more than offset by the better driveability. IIRC the torque is quite a bit higher with the 6sp box. Can't comment on towing. For me, 6sp is way better - I would definitely go with that.

Surely a 6 speed box will improve economy?

its still a small engine for such a big car without towing anything, if you go for the 1.9 id have the 6 speed and get it remapped to bring the torque up, be much better for pulling, i had the PD130 6 speed in my A3 and it was mapped, made it much better drive and better economy! ;)

I picked up my A6 Avant 1.9tdi 6speed yesterday and so far performance is superb, considering it's such a big car. Pick it up from cardiff and on the 100 mile journey home (part motorway, part A road) she was averaging 48.5 mpg, that's good enough for me. As for any comments saying that the 1.9 tdi is sluggish, I don't agree, this car would leave my Volvo V70 (170bhp) for dead. As far as I am concerned as long as she will cruise at 70 mph (ish) on the motorway and return nearly 50 mpg i'll be happy.

Very Pleased with it so far.

On other question, anyone know what the price of a load cover is to fit the above (2004 model), one of the lugs that holds the extended blind in place has broken.

Thanks
Nick