Audi A6 2.5TDI hopeless crankshaft speed sensor issue..

Vannhickey

Reaction score
Hey, first of all i wanna say, im bad on english, but ill try my best..

Got 2.5tdi Audi a6 2001, bought as AKE, but got roll cams..? also tiptronic & quattro.
Driven around 250 000km.
Problems is, its running rought on idle revs jumping little and on (service mode)? revs limited 3k.
Also On Reverse & Drive, i barely can keep it still with brake on, revs jump a bit more on thoes. After heating up a bit i might get it running steady on P and Neutral on idle, but little touch of pedal makes revs jump again.
Its giving fault codes:
01126 - Enghine Speed Signal
16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent
And
00513 Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

So far car visited couple of workshops, even original audi service where they found out 6mm bolt inside cutted 3 of 6 flywheel pins, so no wonder it was running rought no signal on 3 pins. New Flywheel installed, same issue...
Heres parts changed so far and checked multiple times.
New VP44
New Ecu
New 3rd cylinder nozzle
New crankshaft speed sensor(got three of them)
New Transmission Fluids.
New MAF
New Flywheel
Rest of nozzles checked also, (opening preasures)
Timing checked multiple times.
Also most of wires checked.
Running same whatever you unplug.
+Cams are almost new. not worn a bit.

Thinking about transmission but what else could be broken by 6mm bolt.. (No freaking idea how it got there, when i bought car, earlier owner said its only g28 what needs to be changed..)

Got 2.5tdi Audi a6 2001, bought as AKE, but got roll cams..? also tiptronic & quattro.
Driven around 250 000km.
Problems is, its running rought on idle revs jumping little and on (service mode)? revs limited 3k.
Also On Reverse & Drive, i barely can keep it still with brake on, revs jump a bit more on thoes. After heating up a bit i might get it running steady on P and Neutral on idle, but little touch of pedal makes revs jump again.
Its giving fault codes:
And

So far car visited couple of workshops, even original audi service where they found out 6mm bolt inside cutted 3 of 6 flywheel pins, so no wonder it was running rought no signal on 3 pins. New Flywheel installed, same issue...
New VP44
New Ecu
New 3rd cylinder nozzle
New Transmission Fluids.
New MAF
New Flywheel

Thinking about transmission but what else could be broken by 6mm bolt.. (No freaking idea how it got there, when i bought car, earlier owner said its only g28 what needs to be changed..)

Check if diesel fuel is suitable without water and without air

Tried giving fuel straight from canister Even without Fuel filter which is Also changed.. :(

Measuring values block - injection quantity (for 5 injectors) and start of injection. Check the results when the engine is at working temperature!
Measuring block injected quantity drops around 0-2.0 when it starts running rough,(jumping revs) also Qty adj valve act time goes around same, around 0-6 CF

Running steady Injected quantity is between 6.0-7.0
Qty Adj Valve is pretty steady also, around 20 CF

Feels like its not getting enough.. ?

Perhaps workshop got pump timing wrong afterall, ( when they changed it) but engine is starting great tho.. I hope these tells u something.

In the Measuring block values There is a possibility to check each injector quantity separately (5). And also the start of the injection, Should be at 2 degrees BTDC 1.5+\- .
These parameters will give you a clearer picture of the timing of the injection pump and engine.
Also check the condition of the electrical socket engine speed sensor G28 (Clean it with a contact cleaner)

Last edited:
Pretty much everything is cleaned up, timing was no go.. car IS 2001 and got immo 3, so does new pump need coding? Also got new ecu which still needs some work to get Immo off, but with new ecu ignination on ESP and abs Lights go off. With old ecu lights stay on whole Time.

In the old ECU Delete the fault codes from all channels

Did it several times,But moving timing too early (If i remember right) made car run on Idle and GEARS steady, smoked a bit More but Ran Stable. Still service mode on and fault codes from g28.

A bit More about ecu, first ecu was send to diagnose and they Said itse Burnd probably becouse tuning, they send 4b2 907 401 j for replace, and Said they transfered data from old one to new. I believe, first one was 4b2 907 401 e, Any idea whats The difference between thoes two?

E: got new both j and e, waiting for unlock. J is making buzzing noise on vp44 relay constantly..

It is for a different year of production.
E - 10\1999 - 5\2000. VIN 4B_Y_200000...
J - 2002-2003. VIN 4B_2_000001 - 4B_2_140000
Both AKE 108 PS
My vehicle 2002 with AKE engine also with rollers. The previous owner did it :friendly wink:

Allright thanks, so probably no Big difference then. My last hope is that only working ecu is messed up.. probably not, but running out of ideas at this point.. something on Fuel side it must be..

Vcds says pump timing too advanced no matter how much turning it retarded sticks to upper line.. Any suggestions what Makes that?

The engine should be at working temperature (90C) for this test

?מצטער אין לי ווטסאפ . נייד

Driven around 250 000km.
Its giving fault codes:
And

New VP44
New Ecu
New 3rd cylinder nozzle
New Transmission Fluids.
New MAF
New Flywheel

had the same problem.
after removeing the gearbox. the flywheel was missing one of the metal pins. add the miising pin and the problem was solved.

the pin are what is actuating the g28 sensor

amit