Audi A5 67 plate MMI/Wifi question!

U_Pharm1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just purchased a 67 plate audi a5 sportback. Im interested in setting up the wifi hotspot feature (if it has one).
What I don't understand is that I can access the usual audi connect things like weather/news/fuel prices etc even though there is no sim inserted? how is this possible?

When i bought the car, there was no sim card. So am i ok to just go out and buy any network sim card? or does it have to be a specific network if i wanted to use the wifi hotspot feature?

thanks in advance!

The in car connectivity is through the built in SIM which has a subscription against it (I got 12m with mine)

You can purchase another SIM to go in the slot in the glovebox and this will enable WiFi but not sure what e,see it enables or affects.

The in car connectivity is through the built in SIM which has a subscription against it (I got 12m with mine)

Once that is up visit the Audi live chat page, ask for another 12 months and they will give it you! One of the guys on the S3 forums gave me the heads up as mine was running out http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-connect-licence-period.291794/#post-3178907

and then a few days later:

free-jpg.147004

Reactions: Buck
Has anyone actually managed to setup WiFi hotspot with built in Sim?

Audi A5 S-line Sportback 2.0TFSi Scuba Blue

I don’t think that’s possible Simon. The internal SIM has specific/limited functionality by design.

That is correct to an extent as the ability to do this can be implimented with either purchasing extra data from the provider of the internal sim card, which is within myaudi connect services, or by using a third party data sim...

You can use the wifi hotspot with the bluetooth connection to an android phone using the SIM in the phone

That's what I do - basically share the data from my mobile via BT to the MMI which uses that for the hotspot in the car. It even works whilst android auto is on.

Good if you have a mobile with loads of data!

(Not sure if you can do this with Apple phones - but with my Samsung S8+ you can)

Note that inserting a SIM diverts ALL data use to it (Google maps, weather etc) , not just that being used by your devices through the wifi hotspot. I just leave mine in the slot but disengaged when not using it.