Michael Kahn

Reaction score
Audi A4 2.0 TFSI B8 CDNC engine

Symptoms:

· misfiring and rough idling, accompanied with white smoke.

· The exhaust smells of unburnt fuel.

I had to recently change the oil and fuel filter as the oil was too contaminated with fuel and I could see the oil gauge sensor rise over time due to fuel mixing with the oil. Could also get a strong smell of fuel after a drive and opening the oil filler cap.

What has been done so far:

· New Spark plugs

· New coil packs

· New air filter

· New Oil and Oil filter post contamination with petrol

The problem is still persistent. I am getting the following data after doing all the above:

· Short fuel trim reads -25%

· Long fuel trim reads -40%, Still get hard starting at times with white smoke.

· Fuel rail pressure at idle is 550 psi and rises after the car has been switched off.

· Fuel system 1 moves between OL open loop and CL closed loop.

· Throttle position at idle is 12.9%.

· The air/fuel sensor O2S11 reads between -1mA to -1.5mA while the post cat converter oxygen sensor O2S12 reads between 0.455 volts to 0.55 volts.

· There is no loss of coolant either.

· The mpg is 32-34 in city driving.

After resetting the codes the car seems to run fine for a bit and then the problem returns after a short drive.

Have shown it to two local garages. One has suggested that it may be the injectors but aren’t 100% certain.

Any thoughts or suggestions please ?

Check the high pressure fuel pump isn't leaking into the oil

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

I know it's been awhile, but did you ever figure out what was wrong with your car? It sounds exactly like what I'm getting with mine right now. The fact that it runs good for awhile after clearing the codes is especially confusing and you're the only one I've seen that mentioned that little piece as well. Thanks in advance for any help!

I know it's been awhile, but did you ever figure out what was wrong with your car? It sounds exactly like what I'm getting with mine right now. The fact that it runs good for awhile after clearing the codes is especially confusing and you're the only one I've seen that mentioned that little piece as well. Thanks in advance for any help!
How did you get on?

I had an injector **** itself recently, similar symptoms intermittently for a while although not quite as severe. Mainly a sort of shudder but not a full misfire then all of a sudden, BOOM, spluttering, loss of power and huge plooms of white smoke. Injector 4 was stuck open and ******* fuel into the cylinder. A tow to the garage and 600 odd quid later it was sorted...until it happened again a month later to cylinder 3. I gave myself a large slap in the face for not changing them all when the intake manifold was off.

How did you get on?

I had an injector **** itself recently, similar symptoms intermittently for a while although not quite as severe. Mainly a sort of shudder but not a full misfire then all of a sudden, BOOM, spluttering, loss of power and huge plooms of white smoke. Injector 4 was stuck open and ******* fuel into the cylinder. A tow to the garage and 600 odd quid later it was sorted...until it happened again a month later to cylinder 3. I gave myself a large slap in the face for not changing them all when the intake manifold was off.

I changed spark plugs, coil packs, and PVC system (upper). I noticed the temp was starting to go down occasionally too so I thought that may be the cause for running rich, as it would try to warm up the engine when it didn’t need to. So I replaced the coolant temp sensor and realized that it must be the thermostat (sticking open at least so that’s good). I was just coming to terms with buying the water pump too, since it’s all in the same housing, when the pump took a crap on me and sealed the decision. Looks like oil from the timing chain cover gasket had leaked down and fouled that up. So now I have a new water pump and thermostat on it and it runs at operating temp. (Still need to do the gasket, that’s next.) BUT....still has intermittent random misfires, severely rough idle, and stalls out occasionally (she may just want to kill me as intersections seem to be her fav place to do it). But it will randomly have all these problems and then drive like a dream for a day or two before it does it again.

My P0420 code (Catalyst system efficiency below threshold) is pretty constant now. But I just know that it is from all the unburnt fuel getting in there and wreaking havoc as it runs super rich (and the oil smells like fuel too). I’m hesitant to fix a cat before I fix what’s causing it to fail.

I’m guessing I could have a sticking injector or maybe HPFP issues but I’m trying to find any cheaper cause that it may be. Took it to a shop and spent $90 dollars to be told that he can’t even diagnose it until he takes everything I’ve ever put on it and replace it with factory Audi parts. Sooo...back to doing this stuff myself, which means it takes a minute to convince myself to tear into her every time lol. Thanks for the info on yours. I’m wondering if it is an injector and I just haven’t caught it messing up on the live data- cause the pressure shows to be good and continues to rise after killing the car like it should. I just don’t know at this point. Sorry for the novel...nothing is short and simple with this car lol.