Audi A4 MMI not displaying whats on radio?

Ryan Carpenter

Reaction score
Just picked up my A4 and I am trying to figure out how to get the 'now playing' view when the radio is on. I have attached a photo to show what i mean, it only says the station, should it not display what is playing with DAB? Every car I have been in does. I can go into another setting to get a list of text that shows what been playing but it eventually returns to this screen.

When I play music via bluetooth it shows artist etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    998.4 KB · Views: 3,409
Select the button to the right of the rotary dial, select radio text.

Ah I see, so I can’t have it on the main display from original picture? It displays like that if I do bluetooth. Just want artist to display not a whole bunch of text?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,882
No way of having it like this when in radio? Just station artist and song title?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,089
Nope, not that I know of anyway, that was one of the first things I noticed too. Dont get why they didnt just put it on the front. Looks silly with all that empty screen space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont get why they didnt just put it on the front. Looks silly with all that empty screen space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially when every other manufacturer seems to be able to do it! Virtually every other make if car I get into these days seems to be able to display radio song titles and artists.

Especially when every other manufacturer seems to be able to do it! Virtually every other make if car I get into these days seems to be able to display radio song titles and artists.
No ford I have ever owned displayed this info permanently, our current fiesta doesn't either neither did my A3. Hardly something worth bothering about and if you wish to have this info displayed its only requires one or two button presses..

Reactions: RaZ A4
No ford I have ever owned displayed this info permanently, our current fiesta doesn't either neither did my A3. Hardly something worth bothering about and if you wish to have this info displayed its only requires one or two button presses..
@cuke2u Focus I was in the other day displayed it and I’ve been in a fiesta that also did it. Yet a supposed premium brand like Audi won’t include the technology!

I disagree, Fords do have it along with Nissans, vauxhalls and most other standard car brands, and a press of 1 or 2 buttons is unacceptable considering all that space available onscreen when the radio is on. It's a minor gripe but still a gripe nonetheless!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
@cuke2u Focus I was in the other day displayed it and I’ve been in a fiesta that also did it. Yet a supposed premium brand like Audi won’t include the technology!
Yes it'll display all the tracks from a radio station equipped with a carrier, but, with my Mk3 Focus, you had to set this at every fresh startup. I don't drive our fiesta but I know it doesn't ever display the radio track information by default.
My A4 also has this, you just press the button to the right of the thumb wheel and select text. I drove into work today displaying track and station information on the centre screen. But, like my focus, this is reset once you turn off the engine.

I am sure on other forums some are saying their series 3 BMW's can't do this and that when a A4 seem to do it. Swings and roundabouts I guess..

A colleagues '13 plate Mondeo does. Permanently - DAB & FM. It is a Ghia X though, maybe it's a spec thing with Ford?

What puzzles me is why they've NOT put this on the first screen, the second screen you find it on even feels like an after-thought. It's been around for decades and we're driving and paying for premium cars here, not Dacias. Audi always have been a bit slow on the uptake, I had 1 month old A4 back in September as a loaner and it didn't even have bluetooth handsfree. Wasn't a very productive day at work that. You haven't been able to buy a Nissan WITHOUT handsfree for getting on 10 years, maybe more. It's garbage though, can barely hear my missus when she's on the move in hers.

It's a distraction I can do without, lesser experienced drivers more so. "Ooh, I like this tune, who's it by..... wrong screen" Click, click - CRUNCH.

Reactions: blackb9er
You wait when we get the next version of the MMI, such as fitted to the new A7/8, then we'll all be gesturing like the queen waves her hands at the loyal subjects...

This infuriates me, along with the car’s inability to display decent station logos.
A colleague has a Skoda that presents nice crisp hi-res station logos - all mine will show is rubbish, pixelated logos if any at all.
As for the track info, I was in a Peugeot rental truck today that had better DAB text display than the Audi!

It defo needs the text along with touch screen. Infuriated me especially as I paid £1600 for the Tech Pack.

Sit in a skoda and you will see where the money isn't spent, like a new seat with a touchscreen, tap the dashboard or the door trims. As I stated all cars have negatives and positives. The next A4 will probably have the technology from the a7/8. However once the deaths start mounting up from drivers being distracted by touchscreens I expect common sense to prevail, and, like the use of mobile phones, the technology will have to be disabled when driving....

Reactions: Fridarey
I agree with cuke2u about touch screens - whether you like them or not is personal really (I don't at all) but what's definite is they take your eyes off the road far more than others. That's why I don't mind the touchpad so much as it's fairly easy to write a destination without looking at the screen, especially with the verbal feedback.

We're at a funny stage of in-car tech. We have the ability to do far more things, so it can't all be controlled by handy steering wheel-based inputs since we'd run out of steering wheel. Trouble is voice recognition & AI in general (although much better than even a couple of years ago) just isn't quite good enough to hand over control to. Soon, though.

My point is, you don’t buy a premium brand, new model car with the expectation that you will have to wait for the next model update to get features that have been available on equivalent vehicles for years.

Reactions: tickedon
Totally agree about the info display. Pressing any extra buttons at all to get it showing (other than maybe once, which will then be remembered) is poor QC from the software developers. My last two cars (Volvo and Nissan) both showed text by default on the radio screen. I need Shazam in my A4 :D

Reactions: tickedon and blackb9er
I'm not a fan of touchscreens either and I really hope it's intentional that we don't have them in our cars. My wife's got a Freelander 2, and so many actions such as using the infotainment system (touchscreen), cruise control, electric mirrors, all require taking your eyes off the road to operate. If there's one thing Audi gets right, it's how much thought they put into the ergonomics of these controls so you're distracted as little as possible - you can always feel your way around without having to look.

Reactions: NeilHD
It's also really annoying that the MMI screen shows album artwork when using Android Auto, but it doesn't on the virtual cockpit :(

My point is, you don’t buy a premium brand, new model car with the expectation that you will have to wait for the next model update to get features that have been available on equivalent vehicles for years.
And my point is that the car you are critising has got major advances over those cars you keep saying have these features that you seem to want to have. Have you used the touchscreen in a skoda or a seat surrounded by cheap plastic where finger presses are often not recognised?

A good friend of mine has a brand new Skoda Octavia VRS, yeah it may have touch screen, nice radio icons and scrolling text on the radio, but the interior quality is dreadful compared to the A4.

Maybe it's just me but I listen to the radio rather than looking at it to see what's playing.

Reactions: cuke2u
Completed a quick search on this topic to find this thread.
Got a 1 week old S3 and this has been bugging the hell out of me with not being able to display the track/artist info on DAB radio!
Except for going into Radio text!
Other half's 14 plate Mokka Turbo displays it all perfectly fine on her screen.

On the flip side of that I bet there is a lot more things the Audi can do.

The level of moaning that appears on here, on occasion and relatively infrequently in fairness, is quite beyond belief at times. I fully accept that generally those who go on the internet to vent do so because of gripes and issues and those who are blissfully happy are too busy driving their cars to be bothered to tell the inhabitants of Internet land. So the view can appear to be more negative that actually is average.

I cannot believe that something as trivial as radio text as caused so much fuss. Firstly that is your own fault for not trying out the car before you bought it and/or not checking the spec when you ordered it.

This forum is for A4 owners to chat to other owners and help them with issues or mods or whatever. I just don't get why anyone would want to join an Audi Forum only to moan and complain and try to put people off the car. Or am I missing the point completely?

Thank you all - I feel much better now.

Reactions: Happy Grumpz

The level of moaning that appears on here, on occasion and relatively infrequently in fairness, is quite beyond belief at times. I fully accept that generally those who go on the internet to vent do so because of gripes and issues and those who are blissfully happy are too busy driving their cars to be bothered to tell the inhabitants of Internet land. So the view can appear to be more negative that actually is average.

I cannot believe that something as trivial as radio text as caused so much fuss. Firstly that is your own fault for not trying out the car before you bought it and/or not checking the spec when you ordered it.

This forum is for A4 owners to chat to other owners and help them with issues or mods or whatever. I just don't get why anyone would want to join an Audi Forum only to moan and complain and try to put people off the car. Or am I missing the point completely?

I was using an example of another older manufacturer capable of displaying radio text.
I never checked the radio before i bought the car as i was enjoying the drive! And assumed a 2018 model variant could perform such a simple task. So maybe a slight negative of what is a great car i have. So i'll just live with it.
Anyway, i only searched to find out if it could be displayed and found my answer (people say search first before posting).
Hasn't put me off my car and it's not to put others off Audi's either!
Glad you feel better now
:racer:

True but can still perform a simple task unlike Audi :box:
But the audi can do more than simple tasks, has more technology and have a residual value greater than 40% after three years. As the road tests say about the mokka x:
"Noisy engines"
"Performance is middling at best"
"Inert handling"
"Top rivals can do everything the Mokka X can, but with a bit more entertainment for the driver."
"Where a Skoda Yeti would grip hard, the Vauxhall’s tyres slip and the car starts to slide wide."
"Suffers from a lot of body roll."
"The 1.6-litre engine is underpowered and struggles up steep hills, while the more powerful 1.4-litre turbo is too noisy when pushed hard."
"The main concern for private buyers will be the Mokka X’s weak residuals."

Agree with you totally, the arguments against have become laughingly rediculous and makes me wonder why they bothered to buy an A4 in the first place if there soul needs are based upon whether it can display the radio text...

This is blowing completely out of proportion. Folk moaning about folk moaning.

Nobody was slating the A4 as a whole car against a Vauxhall, Ford, Dacia or whatever. Just as the title of the thread says, one little annoying feature has been inexplicably programmed badly. Annoys me every time I "right click, down, down, click". Maybe little other things annoy others, I'm sure no car is perfect.

Someone close this thread, it's served its purpose.

Reactions: Bellasdad
Quite, no car is totally perfect so why then suggest that because a vauxhall can display radio text it is somehow better? I have always stated it's horses for courses and really if we've become too lazy for a couple of finger presses then we're all doomed, doomed I say..

It annoys me too, all of that screen real estate and they put it on another screen. The MMI is otherwise superb however, well, apart from the awful radio station logos. I'll put that on my list of things to check when looking at my next car lol

Reactions: tickedon, S3_Lee and blackb9er
I've been in contact with Audi and Audi UK about this issue. While some don't see it as a a problem, I agree with those that say it is, nearly every other car has the facility, why not Audi?

The system is designed to display the data (as shown in the Handbook albeit in German.

I've referred it to the Motoring Ombudsman as told to by Audi UK CS???????

Attachments

• _M__20181116_114558.jpg
    _M__20181116_114558.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,868
I've been in contact with Audi and Audi UK about this issue. While some don't see it as a a problem, I agree with those that say it is, nearly every other car has the facility, why not Audi?

The system is designed to display the data (as shown in the Handbook albeit in German.

I've referred it to the Motoring Ombudsman as told to by Audi UK CS???????
any update on this? I remember having an A6 for the day, almost 5 years ago and I'm pretty sure that had radio text :ermm:

Been looking at new A4 Avants to buy, to upgrade from my 2014 A4 Saloon, and come across this thread, why is there so much empty space!

any update on this? I remember having an A6 for the day, almost 5 years ago and I'm pretty sure that had radio text :ermm:

Been looking at new A4 Avants to buy, to upgrade from my 2014 A4 Saloon, and come across this thread, why is there so much empty space!
View attachment 264313
This is from my DAB radio. Artist & Album cover art
IMG 0254

Reactions: axelz
It’s strange but mine won’t display album art but does display artist and track when you select either station logo or slide show ‍♂️
B9.5 MY23 so would think it’s on the latest firmware

It’s strange but mine won’t display album art but does display artist and track when you select either station logo or slide show ‍♂️
B9.5 MY23 so would think it’s on the latest firmware
My B9.5 MY21 is the same, no album art.

Last edited: