Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.4 Sport Storyline

bitnics

Reaction score
Hi all,

I love the Project Room! People here have some crazy skill and reading some stuff here is breathtaking as well as very helpful. I have decided to do one of them too. I got my first Audi about 3 months ago I gave my old car away for free to the ex-Audi owner. :) I want to carry out few mods on my car to be fully satisfied with it and make it more attractive and try to keep the value of the car itself. The thread will become more complete as I start to remember more and more things.

So here she is:

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

Little bit more about the car itself:

Engine - 2.4 V6 BDV V6 PETROL
Automatic Gearbox Multitronic
RNS-D with BOSE 9 Speakers

List of mods to do (kind of a wishlist) not necessarily in that order:

- HID / LED conversion - DONE
- SmartTOP module to open the roof remotely from the original key fob - DONE
- New wheels - DONE
- PlayStation 2 installed into RNS-D screen + GALA - DONE
- Private pressed number plates with LED lighting.
- iPod connectivity,
- Hands-free kit perhaps Parrot with audio over bluetooth feature,
- Reverse camera,
- Debadge a.k.a clean look,
- Milltek exhaust,
- Remote start,
- Nitrogen pumped tyres - DONE
- B6 to B7 conversion
- Upgrade to B7 back LED lights
- Coming home lights
- RNS-E update (?)
- B7 steering wheel
- Cruise Control
- B7 Keys

Shopping list:

- Wind deflector,
- Bonnet bra,

List of fixes:

- Fix minor fuel problem causing engine management light to come up,
- Fix airbag light due to the VIN number being corrupted in the computer - IN PROGRESS
- Chase up the insurance company to fix a dent as a result of a idiot driver - DONE, they will fix it
- Mirror's replacement due to vandalism - FIXED

Got a S3 mirror's instead as they were the only ones available. I did not like them in the first place but they kind of grown on me. I am fixing the old set to make them usable and get them to be able to fold again. I have managed to fix one so far. I will have a set going spare soon!

- Reprogram the second key to be usable - FIXED
- Fix glove box lighting,

I will be posting more pictures of the car soon with old/new looks and most of the mods and fixes hopefully will be captured here too. I also hope that you will enjoy my journey and some of you will get more ideas for their car and you will also find answers that you are looking for.

Kind Regards,

Jake

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 491
Last edited by a moderator:
interesting

bit of polish and sorted

I'm willing to exchange wheels for RS6 19" ones if any one is interested. Or any good looking 20". Contact me if you got anything.

Foolish man reversed into me and tells me and the insurance company it is my fault! =(

IMG 0942IMG 0941IMG 0940

Quoted £1300 to fix.

I am starting to have gearbox problems. Stupid CVT box. Anyone know where I can get a software upgrade files for it and how to apply the upgrade via VCDS?

As it turns out my 01J FYX gearbox only came with one type of firmware and is up to date fully.
I re-adapted the clutch settings but the jerking persists. I have been told that the problem lies in the gearbox oil pump. Been quoted £550 for far.

You can see some services he is offering:

tadeusz1978 | eBay

Mainly deals with CVT.

I have gathered a lot of information about CVT boxes and studying them hard! So I will be able to help soon.

Airbag ECU has failed - the software corrupted itself. Picked up another one from eBay for £95. It's pretty cheap as most of them goes for £200+. The salon or avant is significantly cheaper although the difference is that the cabriolet has the anti roll system that deploys behind the rear headrests which the cheaper module does not use. The option was to rewrite the software onto it although I haven't got it nor access to it. Now all I need to do is to reprogram VIN into it so it complies with the rest of the vehicle. Does anyone know if I can do it via VCDS? Or VAS-PC? I will be selling the old faulty module.

Airbag ecu

you can do it via vcds
why would you sell the broke unit ?

It's fully corrupted, un-connect-able, can't read or write. Brain dead. Sell it to someone who can resurrect it I guess.

Any guide on how to reprogram the VIN in Air Bag ECU =)?

its all in the ross tech wiki

So finally I got round to installing the roof module. It is manufactured pretty well with clear instructions and the wire harness is brilliant with very smart clips that fit superbly without any soldering or anything! Completely revertible! My module fits Audi A4/S4/TT. In the TT all you need to do is lift the boot lining and TA-DA there is the roof module. In the A4 is more work. I avoided taking out all of the back seats as it is a nightmare to remove the rear headrests! Few pictures and finished product below!

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_1212.JPG

The effect:

Last edited by a moderator:
iv fitted a few of these
that side panel is a fukker to get on and off
have you used the 1 where you get usb connection to change it via the lappy
of it it the 1 where you use the stalk and button ?

I managed to buy some key fobs from a local car salvage company. £20 for both! Need to change the blades and reprogram!

key+fobs.JPG

iv fitted a few of these
that side panel is a fukker to get on and off
have you used the 1 where you get usb connection to change it via the lappy
of it it the 1 where you use the stalk and button ?

It is a pain to take if off and then slide it in! This is the older model without the port and you have to program it manually. Although the previous owner set it up the way I wanted it to be. It only cost me £70 on eBay which is a great bargain! To get these new and imported from states is almost £300! It will work great in the summer!

TV Option RNS-D + PS2

The adaptation itself wasn't too hard.
Huge thanks to @olds_kool for sharing the RNS-D programming guide.

The solution is to go to Module 37 - Navigation and check channel 7.

7 Option Coding: (see note below) (D-Navi) 0 No options.
1 Logbook installed.
2 Multi-Function Wheel installed (CANbus based).
4 TV Tuner installed. (B version)
8 Voice Command Module installed.

Note that for adaption channel 7, you add these functions to come up with the number. For example if you have a TV tuner and multifunction wheel, you'd enter 6 (2+4=6). Voice recognition and Logbook would be 9 (1+8=9).

I reprogrammed it to value of 4 this way I have enabled the tuner option for the RNS-D to work with the adapter.

The second step was to reprogram the instrument cluster in module 17 - Instruments in block/channel 140.
Below are the codes:
Binary Value Function
1 Radio
2 Telephone
4 Navigation
8 Telematics
You add the values together to come up with the code. Most cars need Radio and Navigation, so the correct number is 5 (1 + 4). If you have the Audi phone in your car, then the correct number would be 7 (1+2+4).

My car is equipped with 1, 2 and 4 originally but I needed Telematics so another 8. So value of 15 into channel 140 of module no. 17.

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

Fitting the actual adapter:

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

photo.JPG

IMG_1222.jpg

Now just waiting on some wireless controllers. :)

Thanks to everyone who helped. I am happy to assist any coding for RNS-D when it comes to this so feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
I had the air con serviced today. I know it isn't summer yet but it was free so a good opportunity.
I am going to order the timing belt replacement kit alongside with a new water pump and thermostat. Reason being the water pump is started to rattle and the engine thermostat is not opening as quick as I would like it to. :) And when I have to done one thing I may as well just go with it all as it all can be done when the front of the car is removed.

​Project is coming along nicely Jake. Having the air conditioning serviced at this time of year is a great idea, then its up and running when you need it most. Keep up the good work. :) x

The system had about 200g of gas in the system where it should have 650-700g. Now it is fully topped up, the compressor is lubricated with new oil and the air is ice cold and also the system is bacteria free thanks to the Autoglym aircon sanitizer. All ready for my trip to southern France later this year.

autoglym-air-con-sanitizer-08-07-10.jpg

I also ordered timing belt kit, water pump and thermostat today so that will be replaced soon.

Last edited:
Also good news is that is it passed MOT this week! No advisories! And beautiful emissions. CO% vol. 0.000!

IMG_1545.JPG

My pops brought me some oil for all the seals around the roof that they use on Vauxhall Astra convertible in their Vauxhall garage. Will lubricate the roof all over so it stays nice and preserved.

IMG_1549.JPG

Pollen filter replacement. The old one was dump and smelt horrible when put the fan inside on and the windscreen started to steam up.

IMG_1182.JPG

My engine management light came on again. I have scanned it with my permanently Blue Driver OBDII scanner that works with my iPhone over Bluetooth. Can I find fault code definitions in ElsaWin or ETKA? I have Elsa installed but didn't manage to get as far as the codes. I think the problem is that it drags air from somewhere straight into the engine. I've replaced most of the vacuum pipes and replaced the vapor valve. I discovered that there is some kind of breather box there. I will probably investigate it more this weekend when I will do the timing belt.

IMG_1550.PNG

The car is being a bit of bad luck lately. I fix one thing, another breaks. Drivers window stopped moving had to replace the mech inside:

438511188_o.jpg

Today I discovered that the boot lid doesn't close! Hope I can fix it and not replace it.

I got bunch of new things. HIDs, LEDs (CAN Error Free), Special CAN Adapters for HIDs, timing belt kit including belt, tensioner and idler, water pump, thermostat, oil filter, fuel filter. So this weekend the entire front comes off to replace all those bits!

New toys:

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

Just thought I would post one just in case that it will all go wrong and this will be only washed shot of it. :)

DSC03987.JPG

why didnt you just get hids with the error free built into the ballast
god tose are big
becareful where u put them they get mad hot

Yes that was everyone's reaction why these aren't in the ballasts. Well they just aren't :p Will have to deal with that. The ballast go from 12V -> 85V ! So I can imagine the temperature is rather high I think that is why they are wrapped with huge heatsinks. The oil is being sucked out of the engine as we speak. :)

I have to say that this was changed a year ago by All Audi in Brislington, Bristol while the car used to belong to a previous owner. Quick summary of their work:

- Replaced mirrors - didn't fit the door panels on properly,
- Some idiot who should be fired straight away tighten the oil filter with tools instead of as it says on most of the filters to do it by hand. The filter had to came out with the whole mount!
- They did not put all of the bumper bolts back after removing the front.
- While replacing the timing did not replace the water pump which was clearly in bad condition - made a loud rattle.

If you want a top job either do it yourself or really find someone who is willing to work on it like it's their own or simply have a passion for it.

The update from 24 hours ago:

Poor TOUDI :(

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

Drying headlamps so they wouldn't steam up any more!

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

Had to replace the shaft seals as they started to leak oil on the alternator.

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

Parts scattered all over the garage. :(

IMG_1580.JPG

Engine is back together, no annoying loud rattles any more. Is is so so quiet like it's not even there!

IMG_1574.JPG

One eye so far. I will call it a day at this stage finish the rest tomorrow.

IMG_1573.JPG

Rest will follow tomorrow.