Audi A4 b9 tfsi window chrome issue

Patrickholman19

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this only signed up today to ask the question
Has anyone with the new shape a4 had issues with the window chrome having white spots all over it like specalling I've been looking out for other audi's with the same issue I have seen one but couldn't speak to the owner?

Can anyone help!!
Thanks in advance

Can you post up a picture and could it be due to the lacquer failing?

Hi! I have the same problem with my a4, same white dots on the crome trims.. it is from the foam from the washing place. It is named "active foam" and attacks the widow chrome, witch is not exactly chrome its a plastic painted in chrome.. I'm telling this because my chrome ornaments from the front of the car don't have the same white dots they are only prezent on the window trimi... i have asked diferent profesional cleaning places and they all told me the same thing i have 3 choices 1 stay like this,2 change the trims or 3 wrap them in black or maybe chrome if u can find one wrapshop that sells that.. hope this helps u.. it is not a good news, but maybe u find a way to clean them, and help me too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post up a picture and could it be due to the lacquer failing?
There you go mate it's quite bad it's like it all the way round!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    942 KB · Views: 1,164
Hi! I have the same problem with my a4, same white dots on the crome trims.. it is from the foam from the washing place. It is named "active foam" and attacks the widow chrome, witch is not exactly chrome its a plastic painted in chrome.. I'm telling this because my chrome ornaments from the front of the car don't have the same white dots they are only prezent on the window trimi... i have asked diferent profesional cleaning places and they all told me the same thing i have 3 choices 1 stay like this,2 change the trims or 3 wrap them in black or maybe chrome if u can find one wrapshop that sells that.. hope this helps u.. it is not a good news, but maybe u find a way to clean them, and help me too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh no really that's not good at all I thought it would be something like that I'll keep searching but thank you for your help a least I know now it's not only me!!

There you go mate it's quite bad it's like it all the way round!
Thanks, that's bad, do you wash your own car? I have had the same type of trim on all my cars and not once, as far as I remember, have had that particular issue despite two of them going through a conveyer wash...

Regarding the trim, rest assured its not chrome painted plastic parts, but anodised ,polished aluminium which is then coated in a protective layer......i had the same issues with a A4 i bought a few years back.The window trim had faded because of previous bad ownership.Car washes use chemicals that attack and damage these parts.Once they have become very badly damaged there is nothing you can do.
You know how it goes with some owners...an occasional roller car wash or a quick wash with fairy liquid.and never waxed etc...
Dont use car washes,roller washes etc...treat your pride and joy with respect and use only high quality car shampoos....i use bilt hamber but there are plenty to choose from....and dont use abrasive materials or scouring pads (heavens above!!) to clean anything.
In the A3 owners manual there is reference to what to use on these "ornamental trim parts" and should also advise in the A4 manual ,however using a high quality wash and wax will keep everything well protected.

Last edited:
Just checked the A3 owners manual.On exterior ornamental trim use a mind ph neutral detergent (high quality car wash) or a stainless steel cleaner if required.
Dont use a chrome cleaner on these parts.
Your high quality wash and non abrasive high quality wax would be ideal.

I have exactly the same on the chrome on my 6 month old Q3, just under the wing mirrors on both sides. It appeared after the dealership last had it due to a warranty issue and washed it. I assumed they just had not washed the detergent they used off it correctly. It would be good to know a solution to get rid of it if possible

Had the same issue on the chrome Audi badge on my A3. No problems for 2 years as I was the only one to wash it. The dealer then washed it at its first service and 2 weeks later the badge is all pitted and looking like the photos above.

I think they use quite a strong pre-wash at some dealers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have this on my A4. My local dealer told me it was due to chemicals used at a hand car wash. It happened when my car was only just over a month old. I've managed to polish it to improve the look to much duller water marks, rather than bright white marks. It's only 3 month old now.

I mentioned it again to my dealer (service manager) and he told me it is a common problem they see all the time, but he did ask me to bring the car back for a second opinion.

my new A3 also has these chrome strips - I have to say that if they are so susceptible to this damage/affect why on earth do Audi insist on fitting them?

Reactions: Patrickholman19
There's no getting away from it, it's the reason I waited 6 months for the black trim (that's still not available)
The only thing I've found that makes it look OK is WD40, spray it on a cloth and wipe on, it looks better after about half an hour. It hides pretty much all the marks for around a week or so but there's no fix sadly

Reactions: Patrickholman19
my new A3 also has these chrome strips - I have to say that if they are so susceptible to this damage/affect why on earth do Audi insist on fitting them?
Never had a problem myself so I guess if you follow the guidelines then it should be ok. The strips are not designed or manufactured different from any other make of car I've owned..

Why would you want to try an aluminium restorer on something that is coated with lacquer?

I was thinking it may work as the lacquer has failed already

I guess so and I can see your thinking there, however it'll only get worse if the lacquer has failed. Seems to early on in the life of the car to have a lacquer failure to my way of thinking. Plus you'd expect them to be more durable and robust than those fitted to a Fiesta...

Reactions: xpoweruk
I really don't know why Audi are stupid enough to have a default in the car like this other than this I can't fault it I tried getting some Ali cleaner on it with a bit of wet and dry paper cleaned it up a little but still slightly there I'll try wd40 it's leased so I'll probably get charged when I give it back in a year and a half

There's no getting away from it, it's the reason I waited 6 months for the black trim (that's still not available)
The only thing I've found that makes it look OK is WD40, spray it on a cloth and wipe on, it looks better after about half an hour. It hides pretty much all the marks for around a week or so but there's no fix sadly
I will try that mate thanks for your input