Audi A4 B9 Audi Sound System rattle

I can't recall how much it was to stick the "comfort & sound pack on" when I ordered mine but I think suffice to say it's roughly £1,000. Now if I spent that on a sound system for my house I'd expect it to be pretty good and no doubt it would be. Why the B&O in the car is so woefully awful for such a price is beyond me. Audi should ditch B&O or focus of quality of components and finish.

With the right settings tweaks the B&O system sounds excellent (besides the rattles that is) - still not as good as the B&O setup in my TT but it’s close.

I asked but they didnt provide it, they fixed the top boot brake light (ordered new light) as screws and bolts were loose and caused rattling and also padded all speakers well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked but they didnt provide it, they fixed the top boot brake light (ordered new light) as screws and bolts were loose and caused rattling and also padded all speakers well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK thanks mate - I'll ask them to pad all the speakers and see if that sorts it. They're usually pretty good, get on with the 'master engineers' pretty well.

I've just dropped mine off and when I showed the service guy the rattle he said he knew what it was. Luckily it was rattling all the way to the garage today and it did it within seconds of turning the radio on. I have noticed it happens more when i'm driving and also the car needs to warm up before it does it as well. I'll update with what the fix was if I find out later.

Reactions: Evil Derboy
You need to deduct the prices of the rear camera an the advanced key off the cost of the comfort and sound pack to be fair.
You might find the b&o awful but there are a number of owners who actually find it just fine..
Does the advanced key really cost that much, rear camera £300? The B&O in all 3 A5's I had was just fine. The watts have been cranked up and this, in comparison is so so poor.

Thinking I have a different problem as you are describing yours as rattles. Mine is more like an awful thump, much like the speaker has blown or something has gone and even a hint of bass gives the issue.

I have the b and o system in mine and although it is generally an excellent system, I've had a really bad buzzing sound coming from the centre speaker in front of the mmi tablet screen.

It's so bad on some songs that it's unbearable to hear (can even hear the buzz when the radio is on at times)

One thing I've found weird is the system can sound so great at times but at other times its just too harsh on the ears and the quality is poor.

I'm booked in for April so I'm hoping they can find a fix especially knowing that others have had the same issue.

I filled out the diagnostic questionnaire so hopefully the tech guys are aware of the issue already

I have the b and o system in mine and although it is generally an excellent system, I've had a really bad buzzing sound coming from the centre speaker in front of the mmi tablet screen.

It's so bad on some songs that it's unbearable to hear (can even hear the buzz when the radio is on at times)

One thing I've found weird is the system can sound so great at times but at other times its just too harsh on the ears and the quality is poor.

I'm booked in for April so I'm hoping they can find a fix especially knowing that others have had the same issue.

I filled out the diagnostic questionnaire so hopefully the tech guys are aware of the issue already

I find the centre speaker to vibrate with certain music and not even on a particularly high volume.

Agree about it sounding harsh as times as well, sometimes anything past half is too much.

Seems that enough people have had issues that the system as a whole has a number of issues be they fitting or with the internals/set up of the system.

Reactions: syed123
I find the centre speaker to vibrate with certain music and not even on a particularly high volume.

Agree about it sounding harsh as times as well, sometimes anything past half is too much.

Seems that enough people have had issues that the system as a whole has a number of issues be they fitting or with the internals/set up of the system.

But that still doesn't explain why sometimes it can literally sound perfect. Then on other days it's too harsh!

Hopefully they do something in April to rid the issue..

They couldn't fix it as I need a replacement sub. I did think that the bass did sound a bit much even when it wasn't shaking the car to bits. They are going to order a sub in and it'll go back to install and check any trim to make sure that it's all nice and tight. It'll be interesting to hear the difference between the faulty sub and the new sub.

Good service from Bristol Audi though.

Know exactly what you mean about sometimes sounding harsh and tinny and sometimes really good!
I've got mine in at the moment for a different rattle at the front....I have a 19 plate a4 avant as a loaner 10miles on the clock! This has the Audi sound system like mine, but sounds perfect! Much more powerful and better sounding than mine and no distortion even with bass high.
I wonder if being an avant makes a difference to the acoustics, or the fact the subwoofer placement is different. Or it could just be too new for the rattles to have surfaced yet!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Know exactly what you mean about sometimes sounding harsh and tinny and sometimes really good!
I've got mine in at the moment for a different rattle at the front....I have a 19 plate a4 avant as a loaner 10miles on the clock! This has the Audi sound system like mine, but sounds perfect! Much more powerful and better sounding than mine and no distortion even with bass high.
I wonder if being an avant makes a difference to the acoustics, or the fact the subwoofer placement is different. Or it could just be too new for the rattles to have surfaced yet!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The service guy told me that this is a common fault in A4 saloons and in the A3 saloon as well and he did say its related to the sub being in the parcel shelf. I guess that the speaker is exposed to the air where a speaker in the wheel well which has stuff over the top of it.

It's probably that the sub in non-saloons is inside a enclosure of it's own and it also has 'stufff' below it to bounce the sound waves off..
In my day of being an audiophile a bass speaker needed to have a enclosure of it's own...

Reactions: Kondax and blackb9er
I found with B&O system it sounds much better if you turn the 3D fakery off. Sounds like it mixes in some out of phase to create the "3D" effect but at the expense of overall sound quality. Really needs a better mid range though to finish it off - if only there were an EQ adjuster.

Reactions: cosmicblue
I found with B&O system it sounds much better if you turn the 3D fakery off. Sounds like it mixes in some out of phase to create the "3D" effect but at the expense of overall sound quality. Really needs a better mid range though to finish it off - if only there were an EQ adjuster.
No EQ adjuster on the B&O either?? wow that's insane! What the hell are Audi playing at.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll try that - was initially unimpressed after the Bose in the previous RSQ3.

So my car has gone in today, demo'd the B&O problems. There's a known issue with the centre speaker which they are sorting. There's two software updates for the B&O system, one addresses the parcel shelf shake apparently..... not sure how software will fix that but we'll see...

Haha! Quite possibly.

So just got the car back and had the following done:
- Full MMI software update. Has resolved the issues I had with sluggish performance of the MMI/maps, as well as fixed the odd bugs like ‘unknown’ showing from the track on the VC when using CarPlay
- Updated gearbox software. Was having slugging performance of the box in anything other than Dynamic/Sport mode. This has made a massive difference, it’s so much better now.
- Parts ordered to fix the centre speaker, sub rattle (there are new mounts that fix the issue apparently) and passenger side door rattle. All to be fitted on Friday this week.

Overall I’m pretty pleased so far, fingers crossed they’ll sort the rattle issue out on Friday. Will keep you all updated.

Excellent, interesting too about the software upgrade for the ZF gearbox. I am sure other S4 owners, and also 3.0l diesel engined versions, will be interested in this...

Excellent, interesting too about the software upgrade for the ZF gearbox. I am sure other S4 owners, and also 3.0l diesel engined versions, will be interested in this...

I was getting really frustrated with it basically being hesitant when pulling out on the motorway (to the point where I wouldn’t trust it and switch to manual) and it was particularly bad when slow approaching a junction and then wanting to pull off quickly - both sorted now and it’s somehow smoother. There’s no recall item or service update listed on the paperwork, just a ‘gearbox software update for sluggish issue’ item listed.

Reactions: cuke2u
Very much hope that they sort the rattles in the cabin out tomorrow - it's now the worst it's been (clearly they've been meddling with the trim to see what the issue is).

So, they’ve sorted the sub rattle and the centre speaker. Passenger side door still horrendous and they’re blaming a dodgy speaker so are ordering a replacement.

It’s definitely progress at least, and Cardiff Audi have been excellent.

Reactions: cuke2u
Haha! Quite possibly.

- Full MMI software update. Has resolved the issues I had with sluggish performance of the MMI/maps, as well as fixed the odd bugs like ‘unknown’ showing from the track on the VC when using CarPlay
- Updated gearbox software. Was having slugging performance of the box in anything other than Dynamic/Sport mode. This has made a massive difference, it’s so much better now.
- Parts ordered to fix the centre speaker, sub rattle (there are new mounts that fix the issue apparently) and passenger side door rattle. All to be fitted on Friday this week.

Overall I’m pretty pleased so far, fingers crossed they’ll sort the rattle issue out on Friday. Will keep you all updated.
Mine is in today with Blackburn Audi.

They did mention there were updates, wondering if I should call to check if these are gearbox and MMI like yours had. I'd welcome the sluggish issue being addressed. This was one my very first list of issues and 3 years on it hasn't improved.

Be interested to see what they say regarding the speaker issue.

Haha! Quite possibly.

Garage don't seem to think there's any updates to be carried out. They are going to double check though.

Don't suppose there's a code or anything for the gearbox update is there?

Nope, I complained of sluggish downshifts in all modes except for sport, and they had a gearbox update to apply. They did say my gearbox was on 'an old revision' whatever that means, though my car is a 66 plate so makes sense.

They're replacing the dodgy speaker in the front passenger side door, its on back order now apparently. Sub woofer issue fixed with some significant insulation/packing and the front speaker sorted with a grille update/recall.

Nope, I complained of sluggish downshifts in all modes except for sport, and they had a gearbox update to apply. They did say my gearbox was on 'an old revision' whatever that means, though my car is a 66 plate so makes sense.

They're replacing the dodgy speaker in the front passenger side door, its on back order now apparently. Sub woofer issue fixed with some significant insulation/packing and the front speaker sorted with a grille update/recall.

Hmmm mine is on a 16 plate. I feel that just won't be resolved, either they don't want to admit it or can't be bothered fixing it.

I've been told they have found 3 static faults on the rear speaker so having to keep the car until tomorrow. Previous experience tells me they won't sort it at their first attempt.

My car went in today to get rattles sorted. Afer me complaining about a previous experience at this dealer I was pleased to be dealing with a far better service adviser who introduced me to their Mastertech. I took him out the car and showed him some of the rattles. They've got my car till Wednesday but I got an update later this afternoon:

Sunroof creak: This was found to be the overhead light cluster. This has been padded out and the creak is now gone.
Front centre speaker: Known fault - new version speaker grill ordered.
Subwoofer rattle: Known fault - foam padding added between subwoofer and parcelshelf. Now cured.

In addition, the Mastertech found two additional rattles. One from the passenger door which has been fixed and another from the centre console armrest which has also been fixed.

Meanwhile I'm in a brand new A1 with the new touchscreen interface. Personally I think it's rubbish. I'm normally quite tech orientated and the first to welcome shiny new toys but this has basically been lifted straight from VWs Discover model sat nav system and it really shows. There's also a "screen cleaner" option in the settings which can only mean the screen is prone to having orphaned graphic elements stuck on it. Not a good sign. The matching Virtual Cockpit with flattened graphics is horrible as well. The interface looks like something on an iPad. I've no doubt that the A1 in £30k trim and options is much nicer than the £18k version I'm in at the moment but if I were in the market I'd buy a Fiesta ST instead.

I'll report back on Wednesday when I get mine back. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackb9er
You can't go wrong with the mk8 fiesta ST, or the majority of engines they come with and one of the best manual gearboxes that I have driven. In my opinion they are more refined than the current A-Class. The issue with the A1 is you are really only getting a expensive polo, as you state, or a Ibiza...

Sunroof creak: This was found to be the overhead light cluster. This has been padded out and the creak is now gone.
Subwoofer rattle: Known fault - foam padding added between subwoofer and parcelshelf. Now cured.

In addition, the Mastertech found two additional rattles. One from the passenger door which has been fixed and another from the centre console armrest which has also been fixed.

Sounds like you've had a decent outcome there - fingers crossed they've sorted it. Frustratingly since having mine back, the front passenger door rattle is back and now worse than it was before, and there's also a rattle coming from the dashboard trim on that side of the car also. Audi Cardiff don't seem hugely keen on acknowledging it, they've said I can take the car back in end of next week for them to 'have a look'.

Sounds like you've had a decent outcome there - fingers crossed they've sorted it. Frustratingly since having mine back, the front passenger door rattle is back and now worse than it was before, and there's also a rattle coming from the dashboard trim on that side of the car also. Audi Cardiff don't seem hugely keen on acknowledging it, they've said I can take the car back in end of next week for them to 'have a look'.

Might be worth taking it to another dealer. In my experience it’s usually worthwhile asking for the Mastertech to take ownership and meeting the guy. If he’s committed and motivated to getting your car sorted then you’re halfway there. If they’ve had it in a couple of times already and there’s still problems then it becomes that “pain in the ****” job that they’re resigned to not being able to solve. If you take it somewhere else they’ll attack it with fresh vigour and want to succeed where others have failed.

My car went in today to get rattles sorted. Afer me complaining about a previous experience at this dealer I was pleased to be dealing with a far better service adviser who introduced me to their Mastertech. I took him out the car and showed him some of the rattles. They've got my car till Wednesday but I got an update later this afternoon:

Meanwhile I'm in a brand new A1 with the new touchscreen interface. Personally I think it's rubbish. I'm normally quite tech orientated and the first to welcome shiny new toys but this has basically been lifted straight from VWs Discover model sat nav system and it really shows. There's also a "screen cleaner" option in the settings which can only mean the screen is prone to having orphaned graphic elements stuck on it. Not a good sign. The matching Virtual Cockpit with flattened graphics is horrible as well. The interface looks like something on an iPad. I've no doubt that the A1 in £30k trim and options is much nicer than the £18k version I'm in at the moment but if I were in the market I'd buy a Fiesta ST instead.

I'll report back on Wednesday when I get mine back. Fingers crossed.

I'll ask if they have sorted the front centre speaker if it's a known fault. Warranty is up soon so if I make them aware of issues before then then I have a case for them to sort it regardless of going past the warranty period as I told them prior to it ending. Should be interesting to see what today brings as I need my car back today, if not they need to find me a loan car for a month. Due to travelling/work I'm only in the area once a month. Nothing like a bit of pressure to get stuff done though!

I fear this will be the case for me, get it back they'll have "sorted" everything. I'll drive it for a day or two and the same problems will arise. I agree with others, if another dealer is handy for you, give them a try, be firm and show you have an understanding of cars/your problems. Hopefully they are less likely to try and fob you off then.

So, got my car back. MOT passed. Now told I require 3 new speakers, been ordered and needs to go in for another day or two.

Also carried out TPI 2051556/4 applies. Carried out update. Not sure if this is relevant to just the MMI/sound system or an overall car software update. I assume it will have changed nothing with the gearbox.

Mine was in today for the replacement sub and it's slot better now. Bass sounds a lot better, more controlled than before when it sounded like the speaker was trying to wobble itself apart at the slightest wiff of a bassline. They also applied a MMI software update to see if that resolves my weird Android Auto issues. Touch wood everything seems to be OK so far.

On a downside they popped the car in the ramps to do the visual health check and spotted a nail in a front tyre. I'm so unlucky my last car had a nail at 500 miles as well. Luckily it was just about repairable so only cost £17.

Hopefully that's my last visit to an Audi garage for a while!

Reactions: blackb9er and cuke2u
Got my car back today. Here's what the work sheet says:

Free Of Charge Warranty Invoice
  • Found noise from centre dash vent. Checked for TPIs and found a TPI for fault. Removed speaker grill and replaced. All ok.
  • Checked and confirmed rear parcel shelf speaker vibrating. Removed speaker cover and applied foam padding between parcel shelf and speaker cover. Rechecked and all ok.
  • Tested car with customer and found noise coming from sunroof itself. Applied felt tape and padding to help reduce noise. Re-built and tested ok.
So far so good. Lets see how I get on over the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: cuke2u, DaveW and liveseytowers
A4 are built in germany, china, indonesia, india and ukraine.. im pretty sure this is not factory related but owner related though from reading your posts :puke2:

Owner related? A brand new car that had no owner did the same thing..

Mine was in today for the replacement sub and it's slot better now. Bass sounds a lot better, more controlled than before when it sounded like the speaker was trying to wobble itself apart at the slightest wiff of a bassline. They also applied a MMI software update to see if that resolves my weird Android Auto issues. Touch wood everything seems to be OK so far.

On a downside they popped the car in the ramps to do the visual health check and spotted a nail in a front tyre. I'm so unlucky my last car had a nail at 500 miles as well. Luckily it was just about repairable so only cost £17.

Hopefully that's my last visit to an Audi garage for a while!

Hmmmm as far as I know they aren't replacing my sub, just speakers so I foresee it going back after the new speakers. Glad to hear your problems have been sorted or at least seem to have been. Unlucky with the nail, they're usually in a place that requires a new tyre so always lucky when they aren't!