Audi A4 b8 - Right Headlight Main Beam Dipped Error

Mutty2000

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have get a Right Headlight Main Beam Dipped error on my Audi A4 B8 black edition, the xenon light comes on for roughly 30 seconds and the error appears on dashboard which then triggers the bulb to go off.

After reading many forum, (relate to the older A4 models), some say that it may be xenon bulb whilst others say it may be a faulty ballasts. I find it strange that the xenon bulb comes on and then turns off as soon as the error appears on the dashboard.

If it is the bulb then which bulb fits my car is d1s, 2 or 3. Same goes for the ballasts, what type make etc.

Any hep would be good.

Swap parts from one side to the other. It's a 2 minute job taking out a headlight assembly.

You can plug the left assembly into the right wiring and visa versa, so first of all swap the bulbs, then see if that swaps the fault (i dont think it will) then swap the assemblies to prove it's the ballast.

Thanks for your reply, do you have a quick guide on how to change the bulb as I have been told that you need to take the headlight off?

I had the same issue on mine a couple of weeks ago and I replaced both bulbs to make sure the colour was matching. It's a d3s bulb.

Remove the plastic cover that runs across the front of the car at the top of the grill.
There's a long torx screwdriver in the toolkit in the boot there are four torx screws on the headlight, two need loosening and two need removing iirc. Then the whole headlight slides out.

Take the cap off and the headlight bulb just twists and releases.

I'd swap the whole headlight assemblies over first to check if it's the bulb or ballast.

5000k bulbs bought off ebay for £24 a pair.

Can you confirm which vendor you gave bought these from as I have been told various are fake xenon. Thanks in advance

Item number was this 331026567109.
Looked and fitted as per the original. It wasn't a Philips bulb, but the beam pattern and brightness is the same as original.

There are plenty of fake Osram and Phillips bulbs around on Ebay and various other sites. You can also buy cheap bulbs off Ebay.
The error doesn't make the bulb go off, usually the bulb goes off and then this flagged as an error. You could swap the bulbs over to prove if it's the bulb or ballast. If it's the bulb I would change the two and keep the good one as a spare. If one has failed the other is likely not that far behind.

Karl.

Thanks I will try swapping the bulbs in the evening sometime, and thanks for the item number, these seems to be too cheap to be true.

You obviously don't drive in the dark !! The thread is 3 days old and you have not done any fault finding yet!!

I have had the bulbs on now since Wednesday and they atre spot on ;-)

Reactions: All-rod
Just having same issue in my 2012 b8.5 bulb is coming on for around 1 min before going off ... drivers side only.