Audi A4 B7 3.0tdi upgrade clutch 700nm++

Beni18

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Beni im from the-netherlands and want to ask all of you for your help please.

We have a Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI model we want to tune over the 350hp+ and 700nm+. The main problem is that the standard flywheel together whith the standard clutch will never hold this so we are looking for a big upgrade.

We have seen that sacsh performance one mass flywheels together whith a performance clutch are there to buy. Does someone have experience whith this setup?

Also what we like to know is if the standard flywheel and clutch from a Audi A5 B8 3.0 TDI 2010 will fit our A4 B7 3.0TDI when this flywheel and clutch are coming from fabric very very strong.

We kindly appreciate all your help!

thank you!

BENI

Yes the standard setup of the B8 A5 is more than capable of handling that sort of power, however I'm not sure if it'll fit sorry. Great engine though!

B8 3.0Tdi clutch is a no go on the early 3.0Tdi as fitted to the b7, the Sachs SRE single mass flywheel and clutch will hold a lot of torque but you might want to go with an paddle clutch for that sort of torque. I had almost 700Nm of torque on a stock Sachs SRE organic clutch and LUK dual mass flywheel but the flywheel complained and had to de-tune it to 550Nm. Just to note, paddle clutch will be very harsh to drive as a daily...some make custom Carbon/Kevlar discs- they feel nice and hold some monster torque without being too jerky !

@adamss24,

Thank you for your help on this. The car is a daily so must drive smooth. So what i understand is that the organic disc together whith a one mass flywheel is the best combo on this to drive 700nm daily?

Also you claim that a b8 flywheel won't fit, may i ask you did you try it before or just know this?

It is strange that a standard LUK set on a B8 hold easy 750nm and a standard LUKset on a B7 won't hold 600nm of torq.

Maybe change the whole gear unit B8 to B7 :footy:

Last edited:
Maybe because B8 has a twin plate ( definitely ) and B7 is a single ?

Reactions: jabba
To bad nobody does almost anything whith this cars.

Anyone else some experiance?

That is the the correct picture for the B8 clutch / DMF and the reason it won't fit in a B7 . There are major differences between the B7 and B8 drivetrain. On the B8 the driveshafts actually sit in front of the DMF / cluch which is the reason for the strange looking DMF.
This means the front wheels are closer to the front of the car improving weight distribution and handling.
The B8 3.0 TDI clutch also has 2 228mm friction plates. One is contained within the pressure plate assembly and the other is like a normal friction plate. My car is ruuning over 720 Nm with no issues, I think the B8 clutch is good for around 800Nm but starts slipping when you hit 850Nm.
As for the B7 the Sachs SRE setup is probably the best way to go and try and map it to limit torque spikes as well as keeping the torque value sensible.

Have a look page 36 on this document, details the drivetrain changes on the B8. It's one of the reasons I went for a B8 manual. There is no upgraded clutch available for the B8, not really much need as it handles pretty much evrything you can throw at it.

http://training.avme.net/admin/Upload/SSP/4801_392 Audi A5 generell.pdf

Karl.

@karl,

Thank you this make all clear that a B8 clutch will not fit on a B7 3.0tdi.

We will have a look now at the performance one mass flywheel of sachs. Let's hope it can handle 700nm+ together whith a organic disc.

If not we buy a B8 car. :) hahaha

B8 3.0Tdi clutch is a no go on the early 3.0Tdi as fitted to the b7, the Sachs SRE single mass flywheel and clutch will hold a lot of torque but you might want to go with an paddle clutch for that sort of torque. I had almost 700Nm of torque on a stock Sachs SRE organic clutch and LUK dual mass flywheel but the flywheel complained and had to de-tune it to 550Nm. Just to note, paddle clutch will be very harsh to drive as a daily...some make custom Carbon/Kevlar discs- they feel nice and hold some monster torque without being too jerky !

Hello! How much torque hold original flywheel and clutch on the B7? You said "a lot", but in numbers? I will change the paddle clutch, but I wanna know the limit of the flywheel. Thaks!