Audi A4 B6 armrest retro fit.

M9RC

Reaction score
Having searched all over the internet and watching numerous videos, I set about getting the parts together to retrofit an arm rest. There doesn't seem to be a comprehensive how to anywhere that I could find, so I thought I would do one myself.

Having found an armrest for sale by another forum member (Sabaxter, thanks again Shaun for all your help), I agreed a price. It didn't come with the base bracket so that was my next mission. Having then been fleeced by Audi for a bracket which ended up costing me nearly as much as the arm rest, I set about getting the console ready.

First thing was to remove the rear ashtray and plastic blanking below it, as well as the rectangular console fabric/plastic insert. Easy enough just lift the ashtray lid up and pull out. The plastic insert underneath has 1 clip at either side, if you feel inside push the clips towards the outside of the console and pull the panel out.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399754301415

There's plenty of room to fit the bracket without removing the centre console as some people have done. Next job is to remove the 2x13mm nuts you can see at the rear of the console. These are needed to secure the bracket.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399754597414

Part No.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399754636890

I then slid the bracket in. It has to go under the rear of the console, this is easy though as the rear of the console is now loose enough to manoeuvre in order to slide the bracket in.

The front of the bracket goes over the threaded stud which can be seen through the circular access hole in the following picture.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399754856608

The 2 nuts removed earlier can no be refitted to the rear, and you will need to buy and fit 1 x M8 nyloc nut on the front threaded stud.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399755021779

Thats the bracket all fitted.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399755076882

Next up is cutting the hole to fit my armrest using this template.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399755152136

I haven't done any of the cutting yet, but I will update the post once I've done it.

I hope this isn't going over anybody else's guide and comes in useful for anybody who hasn't done it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoulGlo and Mitchel ward
I set about drawing the template onto the centre console yesterday. Ensuring I measured everything 3 times before marking it out onto the masking tape as shown.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399917924091

Then, rather than using a dremel and getting dust everywhere I drilled out the outline making sure I stayed within the lines. Easier to cut some more off, as you can't put it back, and the last thing I wanted was a hole being visible when the arm rest was fitted.

One thing I would suggest is putting some kitchen roll underneath where you're about to drill (inside the console) to catch the drilled plastic.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399918102715

Once that was done I cut it out using a stanley knife and then offered up the armrest. You have to tilt the armrest backwards and feed the leg in towards yourself if sat on the backseat. This is straight forward when looking at the armrest (imagine a backwards L shape), and it's also easier to fit from the back seat.

(My armrest came with the LED and connector, I had to unclip this and feed it through with the connector placed on the inside of the bracket as opposed to the outside as it is fitted. I reclipped it once the armrest was in situ)

I didn't cut out the little recess next to the passenger seat as this is asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned, with it being close to the edge of the armrest, so I folded it back.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399918529148

The armrest is now almost done. If you look at how the armrest leg locates onto the bracket you can see and feel when it is sitting level. All that is left then is to fit a washer and tighten the M8 nyloc nut.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399918764271

Check everything is secure then refit the blanking panel and ashtray.

All done.

Uploadfromtaptalk1399918873517

I've fit one to both my b5 and b6 now, I absolutely love them! One of my favourite mods, I find driving so much more or a joy with an armrest.

Excellent guide, and looks nice and neat too.

Thanks, really happy with it. I had one in my last car, and with doing mainly motorway miles I really missed having one.

Thanks Shaun. Hope it helps others who haven't yet fitted one. So much more comfortable now. And the fabric is a perfect match for my interior.

Glad to gear the armrest was just right! They are definitely a great mod!

And the armrests hold their value well if you ever resell

I'm thinking of doing this, doesn't look too complicated at all, cheers :)