Audi a4 b6 1.9tdi struggling to start

Dan230490

Reaction score
As the title says the past few days when the car gets up to temp,if I turn it off and start it again within half an hour it struggles to start, the engine shakes like crazy, all fluids are topped up clean MAF new panel filter, changed the fuel filter today but it's still doing it, I've been to two garages who haven't a clue what it is but can't get me in for a couple of weeks, any ideas? I'll attach a video

Crank or Cam position sensor failure would be my first suspects. Common failure, & often temp related. You need to get a diagnostic done.

Crank or Cam position sensor failure would be my first suspects. Common failure, & often temp related. You need to get a diagnostic done.
I've been sat with it plugged into vag today and not found a single thing wrong with it apart from low refrigerant that I knew anyway, it's the auto version as well I forgot to say in the title

Have you looked in VCDS/Vagcom engine measuring blocks to see what the ECU is getting from the sensors?

Have you looked in VCDS/Vagcom engine measuring blocks to see what the ECU is getting from the sensors?
I've looked at everything I can work out and everything seems fine, I will be plugging in again tomorrow but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary

Is the timing/sync angle within spec ? Coolant temp sensor reading 90C ish when engine warmed up?

Is the timing/sync angle within spec ? Coolant temp sensor reading 90C ish when engine warmed up?
The temp is registering bang on 90, timing is fine as far as I'm aware, I've been to 2 garages but they have no idea, they want the car for a day to investigate but can't get me in until next week

Timing/sync angle spec + & - tolerence is shown beneath the actual reading in VCDS engine blocks.

Timing/sync angle spec + & - tolerence is shown beneath the actual reading in VCDS engine blocks.
I'll double check tomorrow, haven't been using it very long so I'm still learning lol, just annoying as it only happens when it's up to temp other than that its spot on

May be a long shot, but I had the same issue on a car I purchased to fix. Was fine when first starting, but after driving for any length of time, it would stall unless I kept the foot on the pedal.

Fault was a faulty battery. Assuming when voltage was low, sensor readings were incorrect, and therefore couldn't manage itself.

May be an avenue to try... I clocked it by attaching the charger while it was warm, turning over and it was fine.

I also have a long shot but when my dad decided to fill mine with petrol it was similar.

I also have a long shot but when my dad decided to fill mine with petrol it was similar.
There's only me that fills is to there is no chance of it having the wrong fuel, thanks anyway

May be a long shot, but I had the same issue on a car I purchased to fix. Was fine when first starting, but after driving for any length of time, it would stall unless I kept the foot on the pedal.

Fault was a faulty battery. Assuming when voltage was low, sensor readings were incorrect, and therefore couldn't manage itself.

May be an avenue to try... I clocked it by attaching the charger while it was warm, turning over and it was fine.
so you attached a charger and started it up with the charger connected to it?

So I just got it back from the garage, they took it for a drive, got it to temp and made it so what it's been doing, after the drive they say they think it's the gearbox, duel mass fly wheel need a replacing, cost more than o paid for the car

Had a similar issue with my 02 1.9 tdi. Would have the same symptoms as you are describing, however when I posted here about it , someone suggested trying to start it with the sidelights on. When I did - perfect first time, turned out to be a faulty headlight switch. How it effected the starting I don’t know but it might be worth checking.
HTH