Audi A4 Avant TFSI 1.4 2017 Sport fuel economy!

Sarah M

Reaction score
Hello all,
Hoping you can help. Bought my Audi a week last Saturday. Loving it so far but noticing very poor fuel economy when compared with my Audi A3 which was stolen from my drive-the A4 is a replacement.
I filled up tank when I bought it and already have almost run out of fuel. Not driven that much really and the number of miles left on the fuel register seems to be disappearing quicker than the miles I am doing. Bit worrying.
Can't seem to find a tool for seeing my fuel economy on the audi infotainment system.

Any thoughts very much appreciated. Almost feel like I have a tank leak but not seen any evidence of this..

Or is it just not that economical!?

Measure the economy yourself and see what you're getting. Brim the tank and then when you fill up again you can see how many miles you've done against the fuel you put in and get an accurate reading. :)

I seem to recall on here that people found the 1.4 wasn't as economical as it should really be though...

Hello all,
Hoping you can help. Bought my Audi a week last Saturday. Loving it so far but noticing very poor fuel economy when compared with my Audi A3 which was stolen from my drive-the A4 is a replacement.
I filled up tank when I bought it and already have almost run out of fuel. Not driven that much really and the number of miles left on the fuel register seems to be disappearing quicker than the miles I am doing. Bit worrying.
Can't seem to find a tool for seeing my fuel economy on the audi infotainment system.

Any thoughts very much appreciated. Almost feel like I have a tank leak but not seen any evidence of this..

Or is it just not that economical!?
Before anyone can make judgements we need to see facts and numbers. What gearbox do you have, what mileage are you referring too and the type of driving conditions? You should get around 27-30mpg urban and on a run possibly 40's or over. You also have a short and long term mpg in the car's DIS which can be used as a indicator, but not totally accurate for purists. Use the buttons on the steering wheel to scroll through the various settings...

I've had my 1.4 tfsi with a Manual gearbox for 6 weeks and 1500+ miles now. My journeys tend to be short, 2 to 5 miles during the week in urban areas with mostly 20 limits. Then each weekend I do long trips usually around the M25 or along the A13. My long term average is 51.4mpg. Yesterday, I had the cruise set to 70, and did 50 miles plus around the M25 and then along the A13 back into London and my trip mpg for that single journey when I parked in Wapping was 62.8mpg. That was 4 up with A/C on auto. I think it's very economical.

Reactions: cuke2u
My long term average in a 2016 1.4 is 44mpg, over a mix of city (65% of time spent) and A roads (Norfolk - so not many motorways), usually with 2-4 people on board, always in 'Dynamic', which to be fair doesn't mean much in a manual. I don't drive like a nutter. But I don't try to economy drive either.

If you can get up to a cruising speed of 70, and you don't have to break for roundabouts/traffic, you're talking at least 55mpg.

Personally, given the size of the car, I am really impressed with the economy.

If this isn't happening for you, then perhaps there is something to look into.

Other things I have noticed
  • Premium fuel adds an extra 5-7mpg outside of the city. But the increased cost doesn't justify the extra economy.
  • You'll be doing well to get over 35mpg in the city (and premium fuel doesn't make a notable difference)
  • If you rag the engine before it gets to temp you get poor economy.
  • If you want to be efficient, gear up.
  • First gear is short, get out of it ASAP (again, especially when the engine is cold).
  • Don't use Asda or Morrisons fuel - this is open for debate. But in my experience, and some/many will disagree (it's all the same stuff, blah blah blah), but my anecdotal experience shows very poor economy, while Tesco, Sainsbury and BP are all comparable.

Reactions: liveseytowers
I'm averaging about 36mpg, mix of motorway & A road commuting, local trips, longer motorway journeys. Back to a diesel next time i think, or a 2.0+.

Manual 1.4 here, and some of the figures here astound me. I don't rag it, tend to do a lot of urban driving, when on long (London - Cheshire or London - Scotland) tend to sit on cruise control at 77. Have rarely seen
>42mpg, over 15 months and 4500 miles have averaged 34mpg - pic is from Fuelio - I always fill the tank, and usually wait until I have less than 75 miles range to fill up. Most journeys are me, partner, two kids (3 and 5) in car seats...
af85405505ba26efc975b2e80781e444.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

It is wired.

Our styles and use cases sound similar.

A 10 mpg difference between your long term and mine seems like a large discrepancy.

Has your car just done the 4500?
Mines done 30000. So maybe that’s a thing?

Certainly there’s less stop start traffic in Norwich than there is in London. Which could be a factor.

But on a run to Scotland, you should be getting in the high 40s (and up in the 50s if you reset the trip when you get out of town)

Odd.

Ah thanks for all the opinions- my story is similar to the lower mpg listed. Been driving it this week monitoring fuel. On a run to work which is 5 miles, the economy is always less than 30mpg. A longer run might just hit about 40. Pretty rubbish. Feel so disappointed actually. Wondering if my dealer will swap it! Any more thoughts appreciated..
By the way how do I view the stats... Please help-only just found the fuel consumption thing whilst I am driving.

However much you think it might be rubbish actually 30mpg, or just below, is very good for a very short urban run, and then getting into the 40's on a longer run, for a petrol turbo engine. It isn't far off what I achieve with my 2.0l.
Your issue is that the A3 with the 1.4 engine, I am assuming here as you've given us little detail, was so good at attaining excellent fuel consumption it makes any other car look poor. I know as I also owned one, but then I also realised that the mpg would suffer in a larger, heavier car that has automatic gearbox.
As has been suggested your figures are near enough to what other owners achieve on the real world mpg websites.
There are things you can check that influence the mpg, such as tyre pressures, as well...

Thanks everyone. I have tried to return the car actually but it is going to be an expensive trade in at Arnold Clark! Planning to contact Audi just to see what they say and will deal with it for the moment.
Tyre pressures are fine-automatically registers when they are low. Everything else set to economy. Maybe I need a diesel Skoda Octavia... (!!)

The problem, as cake2u points out is it's very hard to get good fuel efficiency on a 5 miles trip. That is barely enough for the engine to get up to temp. Unfortunately, under those circumstances, in that size car, it's going to be extremely challenging to get 30+ mpg.

A diesel won't be any more efficient either. What you may save in fuel (which wont be much) you'll pay extra for serving and upfront cost. Plus if you're not taking it out on a long run once a week, you'll do damage to the engine.

If a 5 mile trip is your main use case, and you are concerned about the cost of fuel then perhaps look at alternatives? A compact car that'll get you 50+mpg even from cold, even an old banger that you don't care too much about. Or a plugin hybrid, that would never break out of electric on a journey like that. You could even look at getting a bike. Summer's coming and then you can measure your MPG in slices of toast :).

Just one more thing - the tire pressures will only register as low if it has been set to the correct pressure to begin with. If you didn't do it yourself, it could be popping to a petrol station and having a quick check. If they are off, top them up then reset the pressure through the MMI screen.

It is wired.

Our styles and use cases sound similar.

A 10 mpg difference between your long term and mine seems like a large discrepancy.

Has your car just done the 4500?
Mines done 30000. So maybe that’s a thing?

Certainly there’s less stop start traffic in Norwich than there is in London. Which could be a factor.

But on a run to Scotland, you should be getting in the high 40s (and up in the 50s if you reset the trip when you get out of town)

Odd.
Attached has fill ups and mpg for trips last year - London-Gloucestershire-Cheshire-Glasgow-Grantham-Broadstairs-London - generally 39mpg ish. Maybe it is just because of the low mileage - picked it up new Jan '18 and only just broke 4500 miles.
7ff93ba8e647b470d40bf2a4a2269b05.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

When I bought my 2016 1.4 about six months ago I was concerned that the fuel economy would be far worse than my previous diesel (Seat Exeo 2.0 143, basically a rebadged A4 B7 with newer engine), however I soon came to the view that MPG was only 10% worse, which works out at similar cost per journey at winter fuel prices, although not so good when the price differential is less in the summer.

Over the last few days I've been on a trip from the north west to the north east, including some driving around the Tyneside area and have the following figures:

Trip mileage: 350 miles
True MPG: 50.17 (by filling tank to cut-off)
Indicated MPG: 52.3

So, about 50 MPG and I think the Exeo would have managed 55.

I am happy with this and it also bears out what I have noticed with my last four VW/Audi cars - the indicated MPG tends to be about 2 MPG optimistic.

I have the 2.0 litre tfsi in an s-line Avant. I refuelled this morning after 310 miles of exclusively motorway journeys - 4 separate journeys in total. I filled the tank and worked out the mpg from the previous tankful - it was 42 mpg which I think is fantastic for a 2 litre petrol with the performance it has. I always cruise at 80 mph on the motorway with the occasional blast (which gives a very satisfying burst of acceleration) to get past outside lane hoggers . My annual mileage is about 9,000 so the fuel economy suits me fine. I think it’s a great car.

WOW! I manage 28-32mpg driving my S5 about on the daily commute of 60% motorway and 40% non-motorway (and about 8mpg when on a blast)
Stop/Start traffic and a bad traffic light sequence will always kill the fuel efficiency on any heavy car causing it to use 1st -3rd and drink fuel.

That'll be why I can achieve up to 44mpg in stop start traffic from mine then...

Further to my trip to the north-east in earlier post, I've recently returned from a trip to Suffolk - Stockport to Southwold via Belton House in Lincs. Southwold to Bury St Edmunds, local trips out around Bury, then return via A14, A50 & M6. Approx 500 miles, True mpg = 51. There was a long 40mph stretch on the A14 , which will have bumped the mpg up but not more than 1mpg over the whole trip, I'm sure.

Once again, I can only conclude the the 1.4 has superb fuel economy but owners shouldn't expect great things from short runs!