Audi A4 Avant - Power Steering Fluid / Hydraulic Fluid Query

darkfibre

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a 2004 A4 Avant S Line B6 1.8T and I am on the search for the correct power steering fluid. I am experiencing a leak, so I am keen to flush the existing fluid which appears to be a brown colour and refill with the correct stuff.

The green cap on the engine reservoir states: "Only Mineral Hydraulic Fluid" and "G 002 000"

I have just come back from the dealer who sold me a "G 004 000 M2", which I understand to be synthetic or fully synthetic. I queried this with him but he said he searched my chassis and what he sold me was the correct variant.

So basically I have two conflicting pieces of information regarding specification - what the car states (mineral oil) and what I have been told by the parts dealer (synthetic oil). My handbook doesn't detail what type to use. Perhaps the modern day car uses synthetic and that they only stock that, I'm not sure.

What should I be using? My concern is using the wrong type or mixing and the seals weep even more.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Main dealer would of sold you the latest fluid that is correct for your car. For instance VAG Coolant used to be G12 it's now been replaced with G13.
I'd be surprised if changing the power steering fluid solves your leaking seal problem or makes it worse .

Main dealer would of sold you the latest fluid that is correct for your car. For instance VAG Coolant used to be G12 it's now been replaced with G13.
I'd be surprised if changing the power steering fluid solves your leaking seal problem or makes it worse .
I'm planning to get the leak investigated and addressed separately but wanted to ensure that the correct fluid is put in once flushed as I know PS fluid is not specified to be routinely changed in the manual. But cheers for the explanation.