Audi A4 Avant Engine Advice needed

Watson306

Reaction score
I am new here - I currently own an Aud A2 and its been an amazing little car for me over the years.
But I think I am going to be applying for an internal job soon, and have always been a fan of the A4 Avant, and I could do with a bigger car going forward and with this new job i'll be getting a car allowance, which basically states that the car has to be less than 10 years old.
Ive read in different places that the best engines are the 2.0 TDI Quattro, and the 3.0 TDI Quattro.
If anyone could give me there thoughts?
I know i'd ideally like to find a car from 2011, with full leather, pan roof, full mmi, s line ideally, but it is the engine I dont know what to opt for.
Many Thanks in advance.

Hi :sm4:

I've got a 2015 Allroad with a manual box and the 190ps engine, so it's much the same as the equivelant Avant.......just looks better, lol :icon thumright:

I prefer a manual gearbox so couldn't go for the Allroad 3litre, which only comes in auto, but the 190ps Diesel engine is great. It's got a few different modes so you can put it in efficiency for cruising and fuel economy, and dynamic if you want to have a bit of fun. Acceleration and torque are good in dynamic mode, but would be better with a remap. I tend to leave mine in efficiency and get about 40mpg.

If you're ok with an auto box, from what I've read, the 3litre engine is fantastic. Sooo much power, torque and acceleration. Don't go for the 170ps engine, it just won't have enough get up and go.

Good luck with your choices :sm4:

Welcome to the forum.

My wife used to have an A2. Great cars, but old technology now. Audi main dealers hated them, even although they were ahead of their time with aluminium chassis and panels.

If you're coming from an A2, to an A4 then forget frugal fuel consumption. Also if you had a 1.4 TDI, then you were paying zero road tax. Not a problem if you're getting a car allowance, but something to be aware of.

Engine wise the 2.0 TDI (177bhp) is hard to beat. The most you're going to get even with a 6-speed manual is around 40-44mpg. That's during the summer with decent ambient temperatures. Worth looking for a car with Drive Select feature. I don't know much about the 3.0 TDI. More torque and will probably get around the 35-40mpg range. I used to run a B5 Audi A4 2.5TDI V6 Quattro Avant, quite honestly a wonderful engine. The B8 car is very comfortable, so should be rattle free when you test drive. Look for something around 2012+, 50k miles and full service history including timing belt and water pump replacement.

Definately go for Quattro. It will corner like it's on rails with sports suspension and decent tyres. Just because it's permanent 4 wheel drive, that doesn't mean it's invincible in snow. Factor in a set of winter tyres such as Khumo or all-season such Michelin CrossClimate+.

Technology wise, the panoramic roof can leak (search the forum), but kit should include full leather interior, power fold mirrors, B&O sound system, power boot, satellite navigation, hill assist, interior light pack and puddle lights should be on your shopping list. Not forgetting headlights. Lots of A4s with halogen headlights. Opt for xenon headlights. Again technology has moved on with LED matrix with 2015> B9 cars.

It's a buyer's market just now, so be prepared to travel for the right car. Paint colours are quite standard on the range, white, black, metallic grey, etc. Also some cream or tan interiors out there. Looks great new, but hardly practical. Audi did a deep metallic navy blue. Again an attractive colour if it's been maintained.

Hi :sm4:

I've got a 2015 Allroad with a manual box and the 190ps engine, so it's much the same as the equivelant Avant.......just looks better, lol :icon thumright:

I prefer a manual gearbox so couldn't go for the Allroad 3litre, which only comes in auto, but the 190ps Diesel engine is great. It's got a few different modes so you can put it in efficiency for cruising and fuel economy, and dynamic if you want to have a bit of fun. Acceleration and torque are good in dynamic mode, but would be better with a remap. I tend to leave mine in efficiency and get about 40mpg.

If you're ok with an auto box, from what I've read, the 3litre engine is fantastic. Sooo much power, torque and acceleration. Don't go for the 170ps engine, it just won't have enough get up and go.

Good luck with your choices :sm4:

Thanks Tiger-G

Welcome to the forum.

My wife used to have an A2. Great cars, but old technology now. Audi main dealers hated them, even although they were ahead of their time with aluminium chassis and panels.

If you're coming from an A2, to an A4 then forget frugal fuel consumption. Also if you had a 1.4 TDI, then you were paying zero road tax. Not a problem if you're getting a car allowance, but something to be aware of.

Engine wise the 2.0 TDI (177bhp) is hard to beat. The most you're going to get even with a 6-speed manual is around 40-44mpg. That's during the summer with decent ambient temperatures. Worth looking for a car with Drive Select feature. I don't know much about the 3.0 TDI. More torque and will probably get around the 35-40mpg range. I used to run a B5 Audi A4 2.5TDI V6 Quattro Avant, quite honestly a wonderful engine. The B8 car is very comfortable, so should be rattle free when you test drive. Look for something around 2012+, 50k miles and full service history including timing belt and water pump replacement.

Definately go for Quattro. It will corner like it's on rails with sports suspension and decent tyres. Just because it's permanent 4 wheel drive, that doesn't mean it's invincible in snow. Factor in a set of winter tyres such as Khumo or all-season such Michelin CrossClimate+.

Technology wise, the panoramic roof can leak (search the forum), but kit should include full leather interior, power fold mirrors, B&O sound system, power boot, satellite navigation, hill assist, interior light pack and puddle lights should be on your shopping list. Not forgetting headlights. Lots of A4s with halogen headlights. Opt for xenon headlights. Again technology has moved on with LED matrix with 2015> B9 cars.

It's a buyer's market just now, so be prepared to travel for the right car. Paint colours are quite standard on the range, white, black, metallic grey, etc. Also some cream or tan interiors out there. Looks great new, but hardly practical. Audi did a deep metallic navy blue. Again an attractive colour if it's been maintained.

Thanks spartacus 68
I was thinking about the 170 or 177bhp, but then the poster before you (Tiger-G) suggested the 190, but I think I would have to go for a B9 by the looks of things and I prefer the B8 if i'm honest.
I've heard the 3.0 quattro is a decent engine, but the mpg puts me off slightly.
I had a look at a few 170bhp's a few months back and actually none of them had puddle lights, but i'm wondering if they can be retro fitted?
I'd ideally like a black edition with the full leather (which does seem to be hard to find - most are half leather).

Many Thanks

Thanks spartacus 68
I was thinking about the 170 or 177bhp, but then the poster before you (Tiger-G) suggested the 190.
That's forums for you. :grimacing:

I had a look at a few 170bhp's a few months back and actually none of them had puddle lights, but i'm wondering if they can be retro fitted.

I'm running an Allroad too, but yes my understanding is they can be retro fitted.

I have an 09 avant 3.0 Tdi Quattro ccwa v6.
It’s lovely to drive and has some grunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk