AUDI A4 AVANT 2019 (B9) spare tyre question

Steve335

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m new to the forum. I would appreciate your help.
I’ve just bought an A4 Avant 40TFSI. It’s a 2019 model, bought used from the local Audi dealer. As most of you know, newer Audis don’t come with a spare wheel (not even a space saver one). The only thing supplied is an inflatable kit which is pretty much useless and it also ruins the tyre if used, which means you have to purchase a new tyre every time you have a puncture.

I have asked the dealer if I can order a space-saver tyre. He made some enquiries and the response was: “AUDI are not sure if it’s possible and also if it will even fit, as modifications might be needed. If you have a puncture, call breakdown service!”. Not sure what to think of that… Apparently the reason AUDI have removed the spare tyre is to reduce emissions… I drive a lot for work and it wold be very inconvenient to call breakdown service and wait to be towed to the nearest garage just to repair a puncture. I’d like to be able to put the spare tyre on and carry on with my journey.

The tyres are 245/40/R19 (19 inch alloys). I had a look online and it seems that the Hankook T125/70/R19 space saver tyre is the one suited for this size. The only problem is that the boot space is very tight. There is potentially some room if I remove the pump box (which I will happily do if I can fit the spare tyre there), but the rectangular battery might be a problem, as it seems to obstruct the round shape of the tyre. Also, the battery cables run through the grooves and are not easy to move / bend. I took a photo to give you an idea of the space. Before I go ahead and purchase a tyre I wanted to ask if anyone had the same problem and if you have found a solution, i.e if it’s possible to fit a space saver tyre over the battery (and if so, are there any mods or extra components required ). Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Steve

IMG 2255
IMG 2255

I’m 99% sure my B9 S4 had a space saver, but I could be wrong... I can’t compare the specifics of what’s under the floor to yours because I don’t have it anymore I’m afraid. But if so it means it can technically be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Steve335
Hi Steve,
My 2018 B9 RS4 has a factory fitted space saver spare in the boot, so it is possible. If you like, I’ll take some photos of the setup and try and get you some part numbers that’s printed on anything I find. I don’t think it matters what size wheels are on the car, the circumference should be the same. Mine is running 20” wheels.
Reverting with pics tomorrow hopefully.

Regards
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul, thank you so much I appreciate it. I think the smallest wheel that can fit in that area for my car would be 19" as the battery sits right under that space in the gap. A smaller wheel radius (like a 17 or 18 for instance) would not leave enough gap / clearance for the battery underneath. My wife drives a 2015 A3 with a 16" spare tyre. I tried fitting that as an experiment, but it's too small. I await for your email when you have time, thank you again for your help.

Regards,
Steve.

I imagine that Paul’s spare will actually be quite large given the size of the callipers and discs on the RS4 that it would have to clear. I think that one was an 18” spare, but that’s just from my foggy memory...

Just watch this space tomorrow, I’ve never actually taken it out of the boot to even look at it, so it will be interesting and a chance to check the pressure too. I guess the battery and tool kit is down there somewhere too! I’ll get the tape measure out as well so we will have all the facts.
Paul.

Reactions: Steve335 and Daggerit
I think the tyre pressure label has the wheel size on it at the bottom:
IMG 0521

Just watch this space tomorrow, I’ve never actually taken it out of the boot to even look at it, so it will be interesting and a chance to check the pressure too. I guess the battery and tool kit is down there somewhere too! I’ll get the tape measure out as well so we will have all the facts.
Paul.

Thank you Paul, i appreciate all your help.

You’re right, my sticker has the same space saver as yours. Only my main tyre/wheel size is different because it’s the RS4, so my theory of same circumference is right.
I couldn’t wait until tomorrow as I would be thinking about this all night, so I’ve been into the garage and checked just now.
I have the same bracket over my battery, but the only difference I can see between mine and yours is mine has a thread and a plastic nut. There is a part number clearly visible on mine which I can’t see on yours: 8W0 803 899

The size of the whole wheel including tyre is 65cm. The distance from the wheel bolt holes to the inside of the wheel is 9cm. See the pics, it even fits over the sub woofer that we both have.

162e8b118c247b43bd0f2d496fc82982.jpg
bc3f0013867bb5a80975f42496521f8a.jpg
61a39458498f55811948c2687a0331eb.jpg
3de2883a9f8d49a0a51afee8f1764c8b.jpg
ad19831aeb2b3474eeaa472fb77b7e39.jpg
2669b6c96ca7c5d72d81fc0659895731.jpg
3d7c50c892618e0c96f33f75845a6908.jpg
1a3f9851e370ce6b59ef170c7b4ca836.jpg

I just found the exact same space saver wheel as mine on EBay as new for £79.99
Item number 153717845797

And finally the threaded knob and nut are also available on EBay. Just search the part number without spaces and you will find several.
583f89f5d7da7e0489edb33f53550c65.jpg

Job done I think?

Good luck, I was quite surprised to find my RS4 had a space saver, but also very pleased it does. I used it on my previous car to get me home once, better than foam as my tyre blew a big hole that foam wasn’t going to patch. The alternative would have been AA and probably 5 hours to get going. It took just a few mins to swap the wheel. A must have in my opinion.
Paul

I just found the exact same space saver wheel as mine on EBay as new for £79.99
Item number 153717845797

Thank you Paul for all your help! The only difference I can see in my photo is the silver rectangular box to the right of the centre of the wheel nut, by the red cables. I think mine is a bit larger and extends slightly further out, which may get in the way of the wheel. I guess I dont' have anything to lose. I actually found a few of these wheels online and one of them comes with the tool kit (jack etc), so I think I will buy it and see what happens!
Job done I think?

Good luck, I was quite surprised to find my RS4 had a space saver, but also very pleased it does. I used it on my previous car to get me home once, better than foam as my tyre blew a big hole that foam wasn’t going to patch. The alternative would have been AA and probably 5 hours to get going. It took just a few mins to swap the wheel. A must have in my opinion.
Paul

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 17.0px; font: 14.7px Georgia; color: #4b4b4b; -webkit-text-stroke: #4b4b4b; background-color: #ffffff} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Sir you are a star, thank you! The only difference I can see in my photo compared to yours is the silver rectangular box to the right of the centre of the wheel nut (by the red cables) which seems a bit wider than the black box in your car. I’m thinking that it might get in the way of the wheel. I guess I don’t have anything to lose. I actually found a few of these wheels online and one of them comes with the tool kit (jack etc), so I think I will go ahead and buy it and see what happens! I agree that it's a must have and saves me having to call the AA for a puncture!

Thank you again!

Best,
Steve.

I agree your battery is definitely wider than mine, is your car diesel? You might be lucky and the wheel fits around it?

I agree your battery is definitely wider than mine, is your car diesel? You might be lucky and the wheel fits around it?

It's a petrol engine. I don't know why it's different. Hmmm... I'm also annoyed with the dealer as they did not point that out before i bought it. They conveniently avoided the subject when i asked but i didn't think much of it at the time. I took it for granted that I can just buy and fit a spare tyre that would fit in that space. Also I didn't get a service booklet from them (the car has only done 10,000 miles) but from looking on this forum, it seems that it's all done digitally now, is that correct? What happens when you sell the car and you are asked to provide proof of servicing?

I have an S4 Avant with spare space saver.

Let me know if you do need pics.
Hi Filipao thank you for your reply. Yes if you could send some photos over, it’d be great please. I wanted to see if yours is like Paul’s (with the smaller black box) or if it has that bigger silver box like mine. If it’s the latter and the wheel still fits, then I may be in luck! Also, what year is your S4 and are the tyre dimensions T125/70/19? Thanks.

Hi Steve, there is no box on my battery, there is only the negative battery connection terminal post on the right side with no cover or box on it
457c115a1dcccab2dd1fe7d186c94549.jpg

Correct there is no service book anymore, the service history is available from an Audi dealer so long as they have done the service. You can ask for a service history certificate. There may also be a health check list and invoice from the previous owner? Any servicing carried out by other garages will give you a service report to fill in any blanks. I’m like you and prefer the good old book with stamps as well as invoices etc. You should also have a 149 point inspection sheet, although I wouldn’t believe it as mine had some minor issues even though these boxes were ticked. What they then do is book it in under warranty so Audi pays for the problem rather than the dealer which is all wrong, the car should be perfect when you collect it!
d1aa8f11d054877b113fea28526b4edc.jpg
19e4095b9fca2373dc9df054f0eb93b3.jpg

I had the same thing with my A4 Avant, no space saver just that stupid kit.

I did some digging and yes some 2019 cars have the space saver from factory others don’t.

I managed to get all the part no.s from a new car in my dealers show room. Yes the space saver will fit even if Audi say it won’t.

I did a full write up with photos in the A4 how 2s section, it’s easy to fit everything needed by slightly costly as it’s not just the wheel you also need the jack and the tray to store all tools in.

Correct there is no service book anymore, the service history is available from an Audi dealer so long as they have done the service. You can ask for a service history certificate. There may also be a health check list and invoice from the previous owner? Any servicing carried out by other garages will give you a service report to fill in any blanks. I’m like you and prefer the good old book with stamps as well as invoices etc. You should also have a 149 point inspection sheet, although I wouldn’t believe it as mine had some minor issues even though these boxes were ticked. What they then do is book it in under warranty so Audi pays for the problem rather than the dealer which is all wrong, the car should be perfect when you collect it!
19e4095b9fca2373dc9df054f0eb93b3.jpg

Thank you Paul, I got those documents also. I bought mine from West London AUDI. Regarding checks, I got another report named "Multipoint Preparation" (could it be what they refer to as "145 multi point check" ?). Should there be a Health Check report as well? I agree with you that those checks are not done thoroughly and they then get AUDI to pay for everything under warranty.

I had the same thing with my A4 Avant, no space saver just that stupid kit.

I did some digging and yes some 2019 cars have the space saver from factory others don’t.

I managed to get all the part no.s from a new car in my dealers show room. Yes the space saver will fit even if Audi say it won’t.

I did a full write up with photos in the A4 how 2s section, it’s easy to fit everything needed by slightly costly as it’s not just the wheel you also need the jack and the tray to store all tools in.

Thank you DV24v, i've just read your report. It's very helpful. Is your AUDI a 2019 model and does it have the silver housing over the battery to the right or is it just the battery like Paul’s RS4? Also, have you got the 19 inch space saver tyre and if so, could you provide the part number for that please? What I want to make sure is to get a 19 radius space saver with a wheel rim that has enough depth to clear the battery without anything getting in the way.

I’ve just taken these photos from the boot of the car. There is some space to the front of this area that shows another empty compartment where the jack can potentially be stored.

1) the cover and inflate kit underneath

IMG 2261

2) just the inflate kit

IMG 2260

3) with both of the above removed (to show how much space there is available).

IMG 2259

4) Plastic tray cover
IMG 2263

The photos below show the silver housing for the battery. I’m not sure why that is there (other cars like Paul’s don’t have it). It may be ok for the tyre to clear it if the tyre radius is big enough and if the wheel rim has enough depth so it doesn’t get in the way of the battery.

IMG 2267
IMG 2268

In the last photo i'm showing the cables that stick out and may get in the way of the wheel, but i'm guessing these can probably be bent to either go under the wheel or to the side.

IMG 2270

The part numbers I’ve noted down are as follows:
Plastic cover (tray): 8W0.012.116.B
Silver battery housing cover: 8W0 915 172 B
Not sure if this is relevant but the Battery part no. is 8W0 915 105 A.

Thanks!

The silver battery housing cover is actually an auxiliary battery if you google the part number. I can’t find out what it powers, maybe electric convertible roof? My RS4 is loaded with electronics but I don’t have an aux. battery
My tools are under a flap in front of the battery well on the RS4 Avant.
Rgds
Paul

The silver battery housing cover is actually an auxiliary battery if you google the part number. I can’t find out what it powers, maybe electric convertible roof? My RS4 is loaded with electronics but I don’t have an aux. battery
My tools are under a flap in front of the battery well on the RS4 Avant.
Rgds
Paul

You are right. I'm not sure what it does either. My car doesn't have any fancy electronics (or sunroof) other than the standard spec. The only extra rather unusual addition is a towbar which is electrically operated (car is from AUDI approved used so I didn't have much choice!). It sits discreetly under the car and just rotates and pops up on the press of a button. I can't imagine using that ever and I don't think the extra battery is there for that! I'm wondering whether they've actually changed the spec slightly between 2018 and 2019 and added a second battery to handle certain functions.

Unable to comment on the tool kit. You could ask Audi UK about the battery. The fact that it has one corner cut off, looks like it has been done to accept a wheel on top.

I sent you the spare 19” wheel photo of bar code and an EBay link to the exact same wheel that I have. I’m getting the car out this afternoon so I’ll check the Jack part number for you and photo the tool tray.

Wheel N0101 FB9 RM9 -Q

Cheers
Paul

Unable to comment on the tool kit. You could ask Audi UK about the battery. The fact that it has one corner cut off, looks like it has been done to accept a wheel on top.

I sent you the spare 19” wheel photo of bar code and an EBay link to the exact same wheel that I have. I’m getting the car out this afternoon so I’ll check the Jack part number for you and photo the tool tray.

Wheel N0101 FB9 RM9 -Q

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul, I got those thank you. I wasn't sure if I would need a different shape of wheel for a 2019 spec car, (deeper?) because of the extra housing for the battry but you are tight it seems that they shaved the corner off so that a wheel can go on top.

Reactions: Filipão
Thank you Filipe.

Reactions: Filipão
Some pics of the jack
cf54c78534243120e48d04a7440f20b1.jpg
313bebf5482ee7ac2c955a29868967bf.jpg
7cc7a04239a5dc7c443842aa028a10a8.jpg

Ok, very interesting, so your engine switches off while coasting? Mine goes to idle and no gear selection when coasting in certain conditions, it only switches off during stop start. These cars are becoming quite complex, I wonder how long the aux. battery will last and also the alternator starter? By adding the spare wheel and tools, you will counteract the 0.3 litre/100km fuel savings.

It's a petrol engine. I don't know why it's different. Hmmm... I'm also annoyed with the dealer as they did not point that out before i bought it. They conveniently avoided the subject when i asked but i didn't think much of it at the time. I took it for granted that I can just buy and fit a spare tyre that would fit in that space. Also I didn't get a service booklet from them (the car has only done 10,000 miles) but from looking on this forum, it seems that it's all done digitally now, is that correct? What happens when you sell the car and you are asked to provide proof of servicing?

Get your dealer to register you on the MyAudi go system as key holder. Afterwards when you log into MyAudi you will be able to see all the service records