AUDI A4 AVANT 2019 (B9) spare tyre question

@Steve335 The additional battery under the silver cover is for the 12v mild hybrid system. The link takes you to a video clip explaining the system.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audimediatv/video/audi-a4-sedan-tfsi-12-volt-mhev-animation-4632
Oh! I had no idea about that and the dealer never mentioned it either. I've just checked the manual and it's a bit vague. The only thing it says about the additional battery is that it's "for recuperation and extra equipment". The car was first registered in April 2019 so I'm wondering whether it's one of the first ones with this function (it looks like AUDI announced this in May 2019 according to this video).

Ok, very interesting, so your engine switches off while coasting? Mine goes to idle and no gear selection when coasting in certain conditions, it only switches off during stop start. These cars are becoming quite complex, I wonder how long the aux. battery will last and also the alternator starter? By adding the spare wheel and tools, you will counteract the 0.3 litre/100km fuel savings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I haven't noticed the engine switching off while coasting. It only switches off if you stop completely. But it may switch off... God knows what's really going on in the engine! I completely agree Paul, these cars are becoming a bit too complex. It's so hypocritical what they do to reduce emissions / consumption marginally, at the expense of removing basic essential things like a spare tyre.

Thank you DV24v, i've just read your report. It's very helpful. Is your AUDI a 2019 model and does it have the silver housing over the battery to the right or is it just the battery like Paul’s RS4? Also, have you got the 19 inch space saver tyre and if so, could you provide the part number for that please? What I want to make sure is to get a 19 radius space saver with a wheel rim that has enough depth to clear the battery without anything getting in the way.

I’ve just taken these photos from the boot of the car. There is some space to the front of this area that shows another empty compartment where the jack can potentially be stored.

1) the cover and inflate kit underneath

View attachment 195884

2) just the inflate kit

View attachment 195885

3) with both of the above removed (to show how much space there is available).

View attachment 195886

4) Plastic tray cover
View attachment 195887

The photos below show the silver housing for the battery. I’m not sure why that is there (other cars like Paul’s don’t have it). It may be ok for the tyre to clear it if the tyre radius is big enough and if the wheel rim has enough depth so it doesn’t get in the way of the battery.

View attachment 195888 View attachment 195889

In the last photo i'm showing the cables that stick out and may get in the way of the wheel, but i'm guessing these can probably be bent to either go under the wheel or to the side.

View attachment 195890

The part numbers I’ve noted down are as follows:
Plastic cover (tray): 8W0.012.116.B
Silver battery housing cover: 8W0 915 172 B
Not sure if this is relevant but the Battery part no. is 8W0 915 105 A.

Thanks!

If you go by my How To it will give you the part no.s you need to retro fit a 19” space saver.

Yes the space in my boot is exactly the same as yours by the photos you posted.

The correct part no. for the space saver for my car and possibly yours is 8W0 601 027C. Audi list 4 variants of that part no. it’s only the letter on the end that changes.

If you do decide to fit one you will definitely need to replace the box in the boot with the one that can store all the tools and jack as the box thing you currently have can’t be used with a space saver.

PM me if you need any advice or part no.s as I will need to ask my friendly parts guy for that info.

Reactions: Steve335
Oh! I had no idea about that and the dealer never mentioned it either. I've just checked the manual and it's a bit vague. The only thing it says about the additional battery is that it's "for recuperation and extra equipment". The car was first registered in April 2019 so I'm wondering whether it's one of the first ones with this function (it looks like AUDI announced this in May 2019 according to this video).
My 2016 A4 has the mild hybrid system, you can tell from the rev counter when it is engaged, as the needle goes to 'ready' and from the gear selection indicator, as the letter disappears and it just shows the number...

If you go by my How To it will give you the part no.s you need to retro fit a 19” space saver.

Yes the space in my boot is exactly the same as yours by the photos you posted.

The correct part no. for the space saver for my car and possibly yours is 8W0 601 027C. Audi list 4 variants of that part no. it’s only the letter on the end that changes.

If you do decide to fit one you will definitely need to replace the box in the boot with the one that can store all the tools and jack as the box thing you currently have can’t be used with a space saver.

PM me if you need any advice or part no.s as I will need to ask my friendly parts guy for that info.

Thank you so much that really helps. I'll speak to the dealer tomorrow and if I have no joy I'll be in touch to get some info from your friendly parts guy!

My 2016 A4 has the mild hybrid system, you can tell from the rev counter when it is engaged, as the needle goes to 'ready' and from the gear selection indicator, as the letter disappears and it just shows the number...
I see. I didn't realise that system has been around that long on Audi cars. Do you also have that bigger silver battery housing in the boot for the extra battery or does yours look different?

It’s not the mild hybrid system, it’s related to the start/stop system. It stores the power generated while coasting or braking and then it’s used to power the start/stop and car reducing the load on the alternator and thus fuel consumption.

It’s not the mild hybrid system, it’s related to the start/stop system. It stores the power generated while coasting or braking and then it’s used to power the start/stop and car reducing the load on the alternator and thus fuel consumption.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

Is that a new feature on 2019 models? I may be wrong but from looking at photos of previous models (2018 and older) Ii’ve noticed that only my car (2019 model) has that silver battery housing, which may imply that they’ve added an extra battery for that purpose (or for some other new feature perhaps?). That is my only concern, whether that silver box (which doesn’t exist in other models) would get in the way of the space saver wheel.

It is though, still called a mild hybrid system even though the start/stop system is used and there is no electric motor or any electric assist through the starter/generator..
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/experience-with-2-0tfsi-and-mild-hybrid-12v-bsg.378083/

Reactions: Daggerit
I got that info directly from my local dealers mastertech who I know and trust. It was mainly put in to allow them to get the cars through the new WTLP emissions testing, the also had to remap the ECU so the car now only produces 245hp not the original 252hp.

I’m just passing on the info I got from them as I was interested as not seen it before, the other change was to mount the ECU under the bonnet to allow for cooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread piqued my interest in getting a space saver as I also have the tyre repair kit. I didn't realise that the tyre was probably scrap after it had been used...

Just bought a second hand space saver of the correct size off ebay. It was actually from an A4 B8.5 but its the same wheel size. Fits perfectly.
I don't have the silver box thingy on the battery but I'm sure it will fit over that no problem.
Just need a jack now..

You mean you got the jack from Audi?
I was just going to get a basic one off Amazon or eBay to be honest.
It’ll all fit nicely under the wheel behind the battery I think.

Just won an eBay auction for a "never been used" A4 B9 2016 soace saver wheel - £56 + £12 delivery. Just need a suitable jack and crank - I see generic 2T jacks are as little as £12 from ebay.

Hi how did it go fitting the spacesaver? I have the same car (march19) with the aluminium housing next to the battery, hybrid / start stop thingy Bob.

Hi how did it go fitting the spacesaver? I have the same car (march19) with the aluminium housing next to the battery, hybrid / start stop thingy Bob.

Fits great. You have to ditch the tool box pictured below and used the knurled plastic nut to secure the wheel down around the battery.

I stowed all tools in the large flapped area behind the wheel recess where the jack etc. would go if you had the full kit.

Next job is to get the proper tool tray that goes in that area and a generic 2T scissor jack and crank from ebay.

Brilliant do you have a link to the one you bought? Cheers

Only thing I bought was the space-saver, but it was an auction, not a fixed price buy.

Any A4 B8 or B9 19" space saver will do, although I would aim for B9 purely for age of tyre - you don't want to rely on a 10 year old tyre off a 2010 B8. That being said, kept in a dry and dark area under the boot floor will minimise ageing to the rubber as most occurs through UV exposure.

Just phoned TPS to enquire about the plastic tool tray that holds everything you get with the gunk kit + the jack...

£103 + VAT!?! FOR A MOULDED PLASTIC TRAY!?!

Balls to that!

Everything fits in the recess that the new tray would replace, except the jack. I would store the jack in a padded bag under the wheel to stop it rattling.

Just bought my jack with an extendable wheel wrench for £16.93 after 5% off list price. EBay item:184418976245.

My jack and telescopic wheel brace turned up - looks good quality for the money, I will have to sort out where under the boot floor it's going later. All sorted. Still can't believe Audi think it's acceptable to give you a bottle of gunk to save a gram or 2 of CO2 on the emissions figures.

It should go in a space between the spare and the back seats. Just remove completely the trunk mat and you'll see it. I'll post you a picture of mine if you need it.

It should go in a space between the spare and the back seats. Just remove completely the trunk mat and you'll see it. I'll post you a picture of mine if you need it.

I know the space you mean, thanks.

I have all the other tool stuff in there that used to be in the tray that was removed to allow the spare wheel to fit. I'll juggle stuff about.

Either the compressor moves to the wheel well with the wheel and the jack goes in there with the little bag of tools, or the jack gets wrapped in a blanket and put in a wheel well with the wheel.