Audi A4 3.0TDI 272 -what a car!!!

syed123

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have finally picked up my A4 Saloon last Thursday and my oh my, what ever doubts I had before hand have been cleared!

- LOOKS/OPTIONS : I ordered the car with the adaptive sports suspension (nice n low) mythos black, 19 inch v spoke titanium alloys, matrix LED lights, s line, B&0 (finally amazing! probably run in now.. at first was hurting my ears and the bass was weak ), tech pack virtual cockpit, light n vision, flat bottom wheel, piano black interior, black leather n alcantara, interior lights.

-ENGINE/DRIVE: So when I first drove the car out of the dealer ship it really did feel like I was in an A8, the car is so silky smooth and the nice humming sound it makes from the inside as well as outside is so sooothing to hear! it was initially quite hesitant at first but I have actually racked up 600 miles in less than a week because I have completely fallen for this beast!

Performance has already drastically changed, it sounds like a muted dinasour roaring when you launch off the lights lol, the whooshing sound from the turbos is just something else and the initial acceleration is just mind blowing for a diesel, it does smooth out however after 100.. only bad side is that everyone seems to want to race me, quite daunting seeing cars come up to u from behind who knows it could be the police! I smoked a 535d off the lights and the guy asked me after how on earth is that a 3litre when there's only a twin exhaust?! understated I know..

I even had a race between a 650i and merc c350cdi which was quite something, I launched quicker than both but the 50i caught up with me and we stayed level.. the merc kept up not far behind! its hard to tell what cars are stock and what are tuned these days! So for a stock car it is very impressive.

- ECONOMY: Too good to be true, especially considering the insane torque u can exploit at literally any speed! did a trip to Woking from North West London over the weekend and did not take any fuel getting there, on the way back however it took 5 miles off, the trip computer also got up to 38mpg which I am very happy about considering the fact that its a brand new car. In town it is reasonable still, on average it takes 5 miles more off the tank than my a3 1.6tdi did.

RIDE/HANDLING: Now this is the most impressive part and the reason I was so surprised! for starters this is the best handling Audi I have ever driven! I was so concerned about having vague steering and a choppy ride but this is literally perfect, it handles with such accuracy and responsiveness for a saloon and completely makes a 3 series seem inferior in every possible way! ( a friend has a 320d msport ) I really don't understand why the reviewers make this car seem like it doesn't handle like the bmw or jag!

The ride is magic carpet like on smooth roads, and combined with the mighty torque from the V6, u can waft along so serenely which makes u feel like ur driving a much more expensive luxury car! even in dynamic it is extremely comfortable and the steering is perfectly weighted, only downside is it can be a wee firm on rough roads, but still acceptable :) so I could only advise anyone who wants an adaptive suspension go for the sports one!

I have attached 2 pics so far n will attach more later inc interior pics :)

P.S sorry for the long write up ( new car excitement) :p

Attachments

• 13962989_10153550590916065_6355285043285465033_o.jpg
    13962989_10153550590916065_6355285043285465033_o.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • 13923277_10153550201106065_1492725683335597480_o.jpg
    13923277_10153550201106065_1492725683335597480_o.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 622
Reactions: THQuattro, James.B8, f1nny and 5 others
Nice write up and a lovely looking car, thank you but please be careful...

Reactions: syed123
Nice write up and a lovely looking car, thank you but please be careful...

Thanks :) yeah your completely right, P.S. the race was very late at night with virtually no cars on road.. I don't like to and always avoid any kind of race when there are loads of cars around, not worth the risk or hazard to other road users..

One question mate regarding B&O , how much bass do you feel? Can you feel it on your chest? I'm asking this as my right hand side doesn't work atm ( getting fixed tomorrow)... also does your centre speaker rattle as well the door cards when volume is turned up to high with a bassy song.

Also very nice car and enjoy!!

Sounds very similar to mine only I went for an avant,they are quick enough to get in to trouble!
Mpg about same as me also ,38mpg at the worst I would say I've done about 1300 miles
Had a few new Audis you need about 10k on them ,and don't be to gentle running in I don't think it dose them any good.

One question mate regarding B&O , how much bass do you feel? Can you feel it on your chest? I'm asking this as my right hand side doesn't work atm ( getting fixed tomorrow)... also does your centre speaker rattle as well the door cards when volume is turned up to high with a bassy song.

Also very nice car and enjoy!!

Thank u :) I can feel a good amount of bass, not as much as I expected but I find that the speakers have vastly improved? maybe they need time to run in? at first I felt like I wasted my money as although the sound was very clear, it hurt my ears and the bass was weak, now things are falling into place nicely :)

I remember ur thread about the rattle and I have also noticed the side door bins rattling a wee bit on some songs, it's not that intrusive atm but it seems like it will soon.. the centre console does not rattle though or at least I haven't noticed it yet (fingers crossed)

My bass is turned all the way up aswell as the treble, was shocked it didn't have the subwoofer option! the audi sound system on my a3 had a sub option and the bass was much stronger :s but overall I think the B&O is better and has surely improved over the 600 miles..

Reactions: h1r4
Sounds very similar to mine only I went for an avant,they are quick enough to get in to trouble!
Mpg about same as me also ,38mpg at the worst I would say I've done about 1300 miles
Had a few new Audis you need about 10k on them ,and don't be to gentle running in I don't think it dose them any good.

Heyy, are u noticing that the performance and economy is improving day by day? the ECU in my car seems to have a mind of its own atm :p and by running them in do u mean to not take it easy and give it the beans?

My salesman strongly advised me on the first day not to go on dynamic and not to take it too hard in the first 500 miles.. later that night I couldn't hold it in when I reached a set of lights on a big dual carriageway so I put it in dynamic n launched! I haven't thrashed it too much but I defo didn't do what the dealer told me to do :$ :p

Reactions: Peter Metcalf
The manual says to not exceed 2/3 of the max engine rpm or use full throttle for the first 600 miles, then to gradually increase engine rpm and road speed over the 300 miles after that. I've been sticking to that with mine in the absence of any better advice from anywhere else (I figure the guys who designed the engine probably know best) and have avoided dynamic/sport so far. Almost there with the mileage so should be giving it full gas shortly (after the engine is properly warmed up of course ;) ).

Don't want to get in to the whole running in thing .....but
Don't rev hell out of it when cold .....obvious
They have already give it full throttle etc before you even got it ,at the factory
If you baby an engine to much the rings don't bed properly and engine may use more oil ,lots of tails of 2l Audi engines eating oil.
Also dynamic/sport as far as i know doesn't give you more power it just alters the throttle response you will still have 272 bhp
I may be wrong on this ?

Warm it ,keep going up and down revs don't keep at a constant revs early in life always builds a strong engine
Seen plenty of bike and car engines on dyno`s always produce more BHP when they loosen up a bit that means "wear" to you and me.

You are correct, you can drive a new engine like you stole it just not good to keep them at a constant high rpm or let them labour. The audi 2.0l engine thing about oil usage was one particular engine though and probably not related in any way to running in...

A very good write up and I agree with what you have written.

Very happy with mine too, it's a very impressive car.

sounds to me You are more likely to want to race than others want to race you!

Reactions: James_TDi and syed123
Ahem.. :$p I am yet to race an
S3 as of yet, not off the lights mind u but maybe from about 50mph onwards :p
Seriously speaking it is very tempting to drive fast in this car but because the pace is so deceptive and the quattro secure it does kind of rid the fun..
Probably putting a tdi tuning box on next week for 320ps and 700nm of torque?‎ :eek:

Reactions: h1r4
Nice one mate, I almost got the same specs as you just without the B&O, and I choose the 2.0 190.

Its really one hell of an amazing car! :)

Ahem.. :$p I am yet to race an
S3 as of yet, not off the lights mind u but maybe from about 50mph onwards :p
Seriously speaking it is very tempting to drive fast in this car but because the pace is so deceptive and the quattro secure it does kind of rid the fun..
Probably putting a tdi tuning box on next week for 320ps and 700nm of torque?‎ :eek:
I was thinking of DTUK box myself ,has anyone fitted one yet ?

More powwwweeer as clarkson would say.

Reactions: h1r4 and syed123
I was thinking of DTUK box myself ,has anyone fitted one yet ?

More powwwweeer as clarkson would say.

I'm going to be putting a multi twin channel tuning box from TDI tuning on next Thursday as I'm already used to the power :p

On top of that I picked up some family yesterday evening n went for a spin n they thought it didn't actually feel that 'fast' but super smooth,
I was gutted lol but happy also..

Will let everyone know how it goes :)

Ok, good you have some experience of the boxes, do you know that the newest ones, as I have, have buttons and led's on the outside of them so now you don't need to open it up to change jumpers. Makes changing the program and the map settings so much easier..

These boxes wont be detected by the dealers right? just worried about voiding the warranty...

Had a look at tdi tuning and they claim you can get the 2.0 187 engine up to very impressive 247 bhp and 488 nm of torque - very interested in getting one if I can avoid it being detected by Audi and voiding my warranty

Has anyone here with the 2 litre diesel had a box installed?

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
These boxes wont be detected by the dealers right? just worried about voiding the warranty...
Just remove it before you take the car to dealer service etc
Takes 5 mins even if you are a numpty usually 2 or 3 plugs that's all .

Leaves no trace on car .

Reactions: cppp
Removal depends upon the positioning of the sensors you break into with a tuning box, some are in a difficult to get to area such as the underside of the car. With mine I had to remove the air filter box and its tubing to get at the rear camshaft sensor...

Reactions: DEWCATI
Beautiful!
My first time running into the new A4, it had halogen lights and no DRL's... I have yet to see a nicely spec'd one like yours in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful!
My first time running into the new A4, it had halogen lights and no DRL's... I have yet to see a nicely spec'd one like yours in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look better in the flesh :) wouldn't say it has the same bling bling presence the C Class has, but defo more Macho and executive, sleek, understated with sharp but simple styling, the DRL's, rear lights, indicators plus Matrix lights really make this car look beastly at night ;)

Planning to wrap the grill n window sills in gloss black and add genuine V6T badges to replace the S line badges as in current form it's way too much of a sleeper car! I need a tad more 'go faster' touches to complete the stealth look I'm after :D

Thank u :) I can feel a good amount of bass, not as much as I expected but I find that the speakers have vastly improved? maybe they need time to run in? at first I felt like I wasted my money as although the sound was very clear, it hurt my ears and the bass was weak, now things are falling into place nicely :)

I remember ur thread about the rattle and I have also noticed the side door bins rattling a wee bit on some songs, it's not that intrusive atm but it seems like it will soon.. the centre console does not rattle though or at least I haven't noticed it yet (fingers crossed)

My bass is turned all the way up aswell as the treble, was shocked it didn't have the subwoofer option! the audi sound system on my a3 had a sub option and the bass was much stronger :s but overall I think the B&O is better and has surely improved over the 600 miles..

@h1r4 how is your B&O doing? my one is settling in but I find that some songs do cause an annoying rattle on the sides and in awkward places inside the car, it's as if the bass just isn't settling or smoothing out.. I do hope this gets better in time cause I do see improvements here and there.

P.s I've already done 1000 miles in less than 2 weeks lol so I'll see how it goes..

Has anyone on here tried playing a DVD via their tech pack on MMI? I tried it and put The Battle Of Five Armies on for my nephews and omg! sound quality was better than cinema! felt like IMAX or something honestly.. the sound effects u can tweak are quite something and I'll be looking forward to watching more movies in the car than at home!

@h1r4 how is your B&O doing? my one is settling in but I find that some songs do cause an annoying rattle on the sides and in awkward places inside the car, it's as if the bass just isn't settling or smoothing out.. I do hope this gets better in time cause I do see improvements here and there.

P.s I've already done 1000 miles in less than 2 weeks lol so I'll see how it goes..

Has anyone on here tried playing a DVD via their tech pack on MMI? I tried it and put The Battle Of Five Armies on for my nephews and omg! sound quality was better than cinema! felt like IMAX or something honestly.. the sound effects u can tweak are quite something and I'll be looking forward to watching more movies in the car than at home!

Well mines had a meltdown! , they've replaced the centre speaker ( which is fixed for now...) the right hand side door bass speaker doesn't work and they tried to replace with another speaker however new one didn't work either. So they've ordered another speaker to see if it will fix it. They also replaced the the second speaker in that door card. On the left hand side both speakers work however they sound ****. The bass speaker sounds so bad. It rattles and crackles so much it's really bad. They are also going to replace that speaker aswell. They replaced the other speaker above it last Thursday.

Apparently it takes 5-10 days for these parts to arrive so it's a long wait to get my car fixed...

Syed123 what's your MPG like now since you have some miles under your belt?