Audi A4 2005 with BKD PD 2.0tdi engine loss of power/misfire issue

Ritchie Garner

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have an 05 Audi A4 2.0tdi which has the BKD PD140 engine (used to be the BLB but was swapped about 8000miles ago and run fine until now)

About 2 weeks ago suddenly lost all power at a set of lights wouldn't rev to accelerate tons of smoke (white initially but then sooty thick black) and when trying to accelerate getting a loud engine knock.

Once you manage to get it past 2500rpm it revs fine and can drive as normal but as soon as it drops below - back to engine knock/no power/ no acceleration almost on the verge of stalling. Managed to get car home and so far I've replaced:

Diesel filter
Injectors and seals
Injector wiring
Tandem pump

And I've also checked the turbo, oil and fuel which are all normal. No fault codes are flagging up on my handheld but haven't done a Vag reading yet.

Car starts and runs in idle fine other than smoking for 5-10mins then as soon as you try to rev it up or drive it splutters and struggles to rev again and get the engine/diesel knock sound again until above 2500rpm and then revs fine once past that point.

Any ideas? I'm usually pretty decent at solving car engine issues but this has me stumped and without a car.

Thanks! Ritch

The knocking part sounds little concerning, where is this coming from in the bay?

The knocking part sounds little concerning, where is this coming from in the bay?

Its just standard diesel knock like when you run out of fuel and use easy start, not concerned about the knock itself its not there when its running properly. Just seems to be a symptom of a bigger problem if you get me

Lift pump.

Check the trust for the pump, check the wiring.

I had a relay not pushed home which caused issues, stupid thing but fixed it when pushed fully in the relay plate.

Have you checked all intake piping, cause you've looked at fuel side by changing things out already.