Audi A4 2.5 TDI Pump Timing.

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've done a few searches and I'm struggling.
My car isn't the best at starting, a few good folk on here have suggested checking the pump timing.
I had a play today with vagcom, but couldn't find the relevent options.

Could someone please advise.
Cheers.

Thats the one yeh, i found something earlier. But it said something about Seat engines.

Edit:
Now i have a better idea of what to search for!
Found it, Cheers Bruce.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am interested in looking into this with my new VCDS cable but have been into engine and then measure blocks but cant see TDi pump timing anywhere. Am i looking in the right place as i would like to check my pump timing to see if its correct and is the cause of my starting issues. The car is an A4 B6 2.5TDi 180 Quattro with the BAU engine.

Cheers

rob,
as your is the BAU engine, have you checked that you have the relevent pins in your diagnostic plug, you need to get on your back with a tourch mate and count the visable pins in the purple socket you plug your vag cable in !!!!
let us know how many pins you have mate.

Sounds like fun will do it in a bit :)

ok so this is what i can see, there are 16 holes 8 on the top row and 8 on the bottom row

x - - x x - x -
- - - - - - xx

x is where i have pins and - is where there are no pins

rob,
just as i thought mate, your 4 top x's would stand for " WIND "
and the second row would stand for " UP "

but dont you feel better for that bit of fresh air !!! lmfao

sorry mate, couldnt resist.

here you go mate

Step by step:
  • Make sure you are using VAG-COM Release 303.1 or newer.
  • Start your engine
  • Start VAG-COM
  • Click [Select]
  • Click [01-Engine]
  • Click [Meas. Blocks - 08]
  • Go to group 000
  • Click [Switch to Basic Settings]
  • Click [TDI Timing]
  • Select your engine code from the drop-down menu
it states this may help too
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=163435

Last edited:
Damn you all! you see this is the problem you have been to helpful so now i believe anything you tell me.

Thanks mate for the procedure will give it a go 2moro after work.

Gaysport i like it, so thats where you can go to get some real hands on support ;)

Gonna have a read thru that link and then have a go after work today.

Cheers guys will let you known how i get on.

Right really confused now as i have followed the instructions and i dont get the right results as no TDi button shows up!

So i am going into engine and then measure blocks (all with the engine running on tickover) goto group 000 and click go then i goto basic settings and in the bottom right hand corner i get buttons for graph and for log but nothing saying TDi Timing.

I am using the latest version of VAGcom 908 and the only difference i can see is that the instructions i have with pics they are using version 805.1 so could this be why i am not getting the TDi timing button as i have no other ideas.

Did you download your software from the Ross-Tech web site? If so, the TDITiming checker should be there. You can download the program separately.

Your engine is definitely supported.

Was the engine up to operating temp? I seem to remember that TDIGraph is disabled until engine is warm.

Last edited:
Use the above mentioned procedure but USE Basic Setings block 4 instead of 0 !!! The engine should rev on its own to 1100 rpm and the tdi buton should appear on right hand side corner of the screen. Press -it and select the last option from the drop down box on the lowere corner of the graff ! The timing should be between the top and middle line...

Ok so had some progress as i have found the TDi timing button after using group 004 so i followed the instructions, got the car upto running temp and then hooked up VAGcom and started the graph chose my engine from the drop down box and waited. i could see it doing something and the engine kept dropping and picking up. but it just ran and ran and said waiting for injectiont timing to be retarded at the bottom of the graph. so am confused again!

If you click 'cloud' it'll put a cloud of dots where the timing is. So it shoudl say where the timing is.

Cheers buddy, i did click cloud but was unsure what it did so unticked it almost immediatly. If i have some time will give it another go soon.