Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 190 Sport - real fuel economy!

missiveuk

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hoping to get some help, please.

Thinking of buying Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 190 Dec 2015 (Sport). The official mpg figures are quite impressive 44.1mpg urban, 65.7mpg extra urban, 50.4mpg combined.

How close are we in the real world, please? I have checked the "Honest John" website and it is around 37.3mpg.

Is this close to what you are getting?

Much appreciated.

I average 40mpg - mainly motorway commute. I mostly let the ACC and Lane assist do all the driving which does reduce the economy. I could get around 50mpg in economy drive select and driving myself if I really wanted to.

Thanks, Your seems top of the range - nice - Sline must be 18 to 19 inch.

The one I am looking to buying is Sport with 17inch alloys, so can I expect bit more MPG?

Mine is a 66 plate, I’ve done about 24k since new with a mix of motorway and urban driving. My consumption is about 36MPG. I always leave it in dynamic mode though.

Hope this helps!

Hello all,

Thinking of buying Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 190 Dec 2015 (Sport). The official mpg figures are quite impressive 44.1mpg urban, 65.7mpg extra urban, 50.4mpg combined.

How close are we in the real world, please? I have checked the "Honest John" website and it is around 37.3mpg.

Much appreciated.
I can achieve the urban figure, however I have to try very hard. Thing is we don't purchase petrol engines for diesel economy. The 190ps engine does, though, have very good economy for what it is and doesn't rattle, vibrate or smell...

Dear cuke2u, thanks for your post.

I agree. Just trying to find the real mpg so that I can make my mind. As I said I am coming from Diesel Audi A3. As long as I can get some reasonable figures something like 35mpg urban and around 50mpg on the motorway, I would be more than happy. Is that possible at all on Audi A4 2.0 TFSI Auto Sport?

Currently, I do around 10k miles per year.

It is possible but you'd need to keep to the speed limits and not use cruise or the ACC. I tend to compare mpg from the different cars I have owned on the same journey and I find my current A4 mpg is the same as my 2.0l Ford Mondeo was on a run. Where petrol turbos tend to suffer is on short urban runs and if you treat the throttle as a on off switch.
The a43 is a smaller, lighter car, thus it's really not a comparison...

Sure, no doubt. My main point is to compare the official mpg with the real mpg and this is the best place to get some advice from experts and others who own the exact same spec cars with Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 190 Sport AUTO with 17inch alloys

I totally understand A4 petrol is a totally different league to A3 diesel.

I am sure you realise that this such a subjective subject depending upon the driving conditions and the manner in which the car is driven, I doubt if one owner will drive their car the same as another. Thus it may well be difficult to judge and the difference between tyre sizes will be negligible really.
Personally I think the engine is very good and does what it says.

Hello all,

Much appreciated.
Not a direct comparison (Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 190 Auto Dec 2017 BE 19" wheels). I'm getting low 30's urban short journey, high 30's longer urban and easily 50+ on longer (100 mile +) journeys including plenty of motorway. This compares to my B7 with the equivalent engine/gearbox that gave low 20's/mid 20's and mid 30's.

And more importantly, as Cuke2u said, the 190ps engine does, though, have very good economy for what it is and doesn't rattle, vibrate or smell...

Reactions: cuke2u
Test drove today, very quiet and smooth, no judder and vibrations. What a beauty ride. I m thinking to going to click buy button.

Fully packed with gadgets like active lane assistance, bigger screen than normal, wireless charging, heated leather seats, front and rear sensors, folding electric mirrors, MMI with SIM card, bottom flat multi-functional steering wheel. Anything else to look at which might be useful in longer run or I have missed to check? Sadly seat adjustments are not electric.

Thanks for clarifying my doubts and guiding me in the right direction.

As you can understand I am coming from diesel car and use to get high miles per gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you liked the drive! They are a nice ride, but sounds like you need to justify the fuel bill a bit more?
The A4 was my first petrol in 10 years being a high mileage driver, but then I had a fuel card to remove that fuel cost shock. Never expected to get the advertised MPG, unlike in French diesels where I could exceed it!
Have you done any sums around the diesel cost offset vs. the reduction in MPG?

If it’s any compensation, my A4 has been truly hassle free, only ever needed routine maintenance. Will certainly miss it when it comes to end of lease in October!

I had a ride in the current golf with a diesel engine on Thursday, then took mine out to stretch it's legs for bit, unfortunately not able to drive much these day, and all was confirmed on how refined and quiet the A4 is. Sod the mpg, it's about a driver's enjoyment...

A4 2016 2.0TFSI 190PS S-Tronic
65% town 35% highway

PS: i don't drive like an old man
aaaf837d8ae846cdf7e2da61e206951c.jpg
136a5eb8db00e438b6071b390601c019.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

A4 2016 2.0TFSI 190PS S-Tronic
65% town 35% highway

PS: i don't drive like an old man
aaaf837d8ae846cdf7e2da61e206951c.jpg
136a5eb8db00e438b6071b390601c019.jpg

Basically it is 38mpg, which is not bad for 65% town and 35% highway..

I was calculating the other expenses on my Audi A3 1.9tdie. No doubt it gives 45mpg in town and 70 mpg on motorway but I have spent hundreds on flywheel, clutch, tandem pump, etc. few times in last few years.

I think there will be less maintenance on petrol A4 which will compensate against less mpg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less vibration, noise, the S-tronic gearbox is not jerking as o diesel, it heats up quicker in winter, maintenance should be cheaper and have no turbo surprises

Dear cuke2u, thanks for your post.

I agree. Just trying to find the real mpg so that I can make my mind. As I said I am coming from Diesel Audi A3. As long as I can get some reasonable figures something like 35mpg urban and around 50mpg on the motorway, I would be more than happy. Is that possible at all on Audi A4 2.0 TFSI Auto Sport?

Currently, I do around 10k miles per year.
In case you're still pondering, I've just done 330 miles each way to Newcastle at mostly 75/80 on the A1 with some urban and countryside at each end. I got 51.3 going and 50.4 coming back.

Reactions: missiveuk
In case you're still pondering, I've just done 330 miles each way to Newcastle at mostly 75/80 on the A1 with some urban and countryside at each end. I got 51.3 going and 50.4 coming back.

Thanks, Paul.

Do you mean to say A4, not A1? Also, you got a black edition with 19inch. Mine will be Sport - 17inch but the engine will be same. So not bad at all.

No, the A4 goes west and the A1 is north, towards Newcastle. I could've made it clearer though :tearsofjoy:

I don't imagine the wheel size will make a difference and the overall diameter with the tyre is the same.

My consumption meter only goes up to 50mpg so i don't know how you can get more than that. Even Audi doesn't expect you to get more than 50. I cannot get the meter to reach 50 mpg at any speed, it only happens when I take my foot of the accelerator.

Lol, I have seen, albeit unrealistically driven, an average of 75mpg and once on an A road 65...

My consumption meter only goes up to 50mpg so i don't know how you can get more than that. Even Audi doesn't expect you to get more than 50. I cannot get the meter to reach 50 mpg at any speed, it only happens when I take my foot of the accelerator.
I'm getting the info from the DIS where it gives the info for both trip and long term average. As cuke2u says, it can get into the 70's easily.

That was an average from the dis from a 5 mile drive averaging between 30-60mph. If you can keep the engine off boost, or as low as possible, 44mpg urban can be achieved...

And so the competition begins :tongueclosed:, but needs to start near the top of a long shallow hill :tearsofjoy:

Lol, no competition really just my thing with my route home from work I used to do with all my cars which included a section of urban followed by a A road. The A3 1.4 was the best, followed by the A4 then a focus 1.6 EcoBoost. Not tried the route with our fiesta yet....