Audi a4 170 2.0 tdi problems

S77NGY

Reaction score
Hi guys i am new on hear but have used the site for great information and hoping that I might be able to get some help really.
I have a A4 2.0 tdi 170 56plate 74,000 miles
Recently took the car to Audi for the injector recall (last week) because I found out I had not been done so thought it would be a good idea to get new ones put in FOC.
There wasn't really any problems with the car before I took it in but now the car has started playing up, on and off power like it stuttering only on low revs motorway is fine but drop your speed down and it's like it's missing?

Audi only replaced 3 injectors and wiring a they said one injector had a modified unit in, I don't believe this as they had never been changed before, could this be true?

Anway the car seems to be getting worse the more u drive it and was hoping anyone could help with advice and what to do? Do I just give it Audi back? But I don't wanna get hit with a big bill. Could it be the injector that hasn't been changed and should they have changed it? Also had a search on hear people having problems with egr valve or fuel filter! But the car wasn't playing up before it went into Audi.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am un sure what to do
many thanks
paul

Also working nites that why I am posting threads at this time cheers

HI mate,

Obviously with you looking on this forum you can see there are multiple issues with these cars that can lead to the sort of symptoms you are experiencing. I think you would be most within your rights to say that it has only been one week since you had the injectors replaced and now it has started to missfire and stutter. Personally I would try to come sort of agreement with the service manager before the vehicle is booked in if you are concerned about a large bill.

Does the car show any sort of engine management light when it is acting up? The reason I ask is my car had the same kind of symptoms but did not show up an EML, then it had a moment and the light came on so they could start to tie down where the problem was coming from. I think without a fault code it could get very expensive as any garage will just start to change things out until the problem is fixed.

Keep us updated on it.

Think at some point we are all going to need to have a 2.0TDi meet and all drive to the Audi UK headquarters with these cars!!

HI mate,

Obviously with you looking on this forum you can see there are multiple issues with these cars that can lead to the sort of symptoms you are experiencing. I think you would be most within your rights to say that it has only been one week since you had the injectors replaced and now it has started to missfire and stutter. Personally I would try to come sort of agreement with the service manager before the vehicle is booked in if you are concerned about a large bill.

Does the car show any sort of engine management light when it is acting up? The reason I ask is my car had the same kind of symptoms but did not show up an EML, then it had a moment and the light came on so they could start to tie down where the problem was coming from. I think without a fault code it could get very expensive as any garage will just start to change things out until the problem is fixed.

Keep us updated on it.

Think at some point we are all going to need to have a 2.0TDi meet and all drive to the Audi UK headquarters with these cars!!

yeah i will second that,now wouldn't that be a pr nightmare for them.

my problems all started after injectors were fitted,although mine just cut out completely one day whilst driving it and i had to wrestle it to side of road as no power steering or brakes.

since then its cost £0000's to put right,lovely cars,shame about the reliability

Hi guys thanks for the response, car has no warning lights on at all so it might be had to pin point the problem but think it must have something to do with the injectors.
Any way I rang Audi today to speak to service manager and was told he would call me back! No phone call at all so gonna have to ring Audi again in the morning and see what they say.
Will keep you updated.

Mine's the same ever since it's had new injectors it takes a too long to start and splutters on tickover.

Ran fine before they did this. I've lost all confidence in it and am thinking of switching to another make now.

Booked back in at Audi on Monday will see what they say! Also given car a full service today to eliminate fuel filter, car still not running properly. Update on Monday.

That makes three of us. I took mine in for a check. All injectors had already been done so it was just a Lift cam cover and read serials job. Now i have an ennoying hessitation at 1800 rpm, never happened before. Told em this, they eventually gave me a free diagnosis after writing to audi uk customer service and basically listed 8k of work lol... ****ing stealers!!! They even said they took it for a test drive, 0.3 of a mile excluding driving to the service area and back to parking bay (170m measured on mapmyride) exquates to 200m test drive! Good luck mate. audi whetstone was the garage i used and would not recommend.
Rant over
Cheers matt

All you lads need to be looking in to premature wear on cam followers, thats my next road to take with audi uk. These are prone for wearing on the follower andthen wearing the cam, you need to check what your injectors are doing on idle and test for cam degree. Audi has a tolerance of 0.5 degree, mines badly worn at 4.85 degree!!!! Its giving me very bad idle problems and makes your injectors run all over the place!

It seems that when injectors are recalled, that the rocker clearances aren't set properly. They need to be set using a DTI gauge and I don't think certain monkeys understand how to do it.

Also, timing belt replacements often lead to incorrect cam timing

Rick

Hi rick. Cheers for the heads up, is it a big job to check and set correctly. Can't be ***** to go back to the stealers but might get local Indy to have a look if its not too mant hours of work.

Update, car is now fixed touch wood, been for a long drive today and all seems ok!

Basically took the car back to Audi said I wasn't happy they checked injectors all fine but found two faults, egr cooler and inlet manifold vacuum unit/actuator. Egr cooler leaking exhaust gas and vac unit completely gone not working at all. Audi wanted £607 to fix so said balls to that and went and picked it up, they didn't charge me a penny for checking it over and diognostics test. I went to TPS picket up a new vac unit and inlet gasket got it fitted today at Audi motorspost in clayton at a grand total of £70 they checked it over and said egr cooler was ok and car now runs fine not missing very smooth all for a £10 vac unit very happy again now.

I must say a big thanks to Audi Motorsport for there help and to be honest Audi Blackburn were pritty good didn't charge me and also showed me what was wrong with the car, hope this helps any one.
And I also cleaned egr valve and gave full service so running sweet now.

Last edited:
Good news mate, hope it stays ok for you. I had the entire manifold replaced under warranty and the lack of power at motorway speeds was resolved. In my case the plastic diaphram inside the manifold had broken and is part of the entire assembly which was changed under warranty.

Dougie

hi can i check to see if mines due any recall work somehow?

Hi, 57 A4 TDI Sline 170bhp, just had my egr valve replace last month and injector harness. local garage did a good job. Had car 3yrs but she smokes a bit some times and the exhaust gasses stink sometimes, any ideas.