Audi A3 Waiting Listing

How long did you wait for your Audi A3 as a factory order?

• Total voters

MattyW19

Reaction score
Just thought it would be a good idea to create a poll to get a feel how long your waiting for an Audi A3!

I waited nearly 7 months for mine, painful at the time! I hate waiting for anything!

Wow, I can't imagine waiting that long for a car. Luckily I only had to wait 1 month on my factory order. They are definitely worth the wait though.

I ordered mine on the 5th August and have a build date of week 13 2011 so looking at 8 months

Ordered 25/05/2010 :idea:
Production 46 week 15-21/11/2010 :readit:
Car Delivery 49 week 6-12/12/2010 :yahoo:

6 months 17 days (201 days) Long times :blink:

Last edited:
Not my car, but my parents ordered a S-Line DSG TDi 170 Sportback. Placed order 14/02/10, delivered to dealer 22/04/10, on the drive at home 30/04/10. The car had quite a few options on it but it WASN'T a BE!!

Some very interesting poll results! Yeh, it's not a black edition, but i'm ordering it through Drive the Deal - all seems to be going well! I just want it for late March but there saying June!!

doesn't seem like much has changed. the 1.6 i had was a factory order. ordered in October 2004, arrived in Feb 2005, ~ 4 months.

Yeh, all I need to do is keep my fingers crossed it arrives earlier! I'm mostly hoping everything goes to plan with Drive the Deal to be honest - I have never used a broker before, but up to now they have called when they promise and are very efficent!

ordered 30/9-10 built week 43 ( yeah ) got confirmed yesterday the car is in transit do denmark - should recieve it rebuild by dealer around 17/11-10.

however i managed to overtake an allready existing order, and customise it with my options and preferences, if i couldent have done that, i would look at min. 4 months acc. dealer.

i had a call this week to say that i have a build slot for february to get it for march i ordered it on the 6th of august so thats an 8 month wait. paid 1000 deposit got 9 percent off. was told originally that i was going to get it in december so as its a massive delay they are lending me an a4 from january too march, so cant complain.
cant wait for my a3 black edition sport back s-tronic 140 sline, in brilliant black with a few options. the 2011 model i think has the new manual look gear knob on the stronic can anyone confirm that?

Yeh, I was told by a dealership the Sport back is meant to have a longer lead time in general? Espeically ordering a black edition I suppose wouldn't of helped either - but WILL be worth waiting for!!

i had a call this week to say that i have a build slot for february to get it for march i ordered it on the 6th of august so thats an 8 month wait. paid 1000 deposit got 9 percent off. was told originally that i was going to get it in december so as its a massive delay they are lending me an a4 from january too march, so cant complain.
cant wait for my a3 black edition sport back s-tronic 140 sline, in brilliant black with a few options. the 2011 model i think has the new manual look gear knob on the stronic can anyone confirm that?

What about the VAT increase ? Do they expect you to pay at 20%>

I am in the exact same situation as swarvegooner, ordered 5th Aug, told Oct build date which was moved to Jan 11 then to March 11. I got a call on Tuesday and the have confirmed build date now week 7 Feb 11 and getting a courtesy car from Jan 2nd to my car arrives and I am liable for the VAT.

On order A3 SB BE 2.0 tdi 170 S Tronic, Ibis White, Open Sky, Full Vienna Leather, Power Folding Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Interior Light Pack, Non Smokers Pack and Engine Designation Deletion

i've been meaning to ask them about the vat implication which is a £600 difference, ive signed on the dotted line for 17.5 % so i am asuming they can back date it, if i am resposible for the vat then i might try paying them either a big chunck and class that as deposit so that should go down as 17.5 or i pay them the hole lot on december the 31st, although i would begrudge doing that! but it might be worth it to save £600. i managed to get a 9% discount tho which i was chuffed to bits with.

When I ordered mine I was informed that if the delay went into 2011 I would be liable for the additional VAT, but not too bothered as I am getting a courtesy car from Audi from 3 months only have to pay insurance so that will cover the VAT in my eyes - especially if I get an R8 or an RS5....can only dream.

i've been meaning to ask them about the vat implication which is a £600 difference, ive signed on the dotted line for 17.5 % so i am asuming they can back date it, if i am resposible for the vat then i might try paying them either a big chunck and class that as deposit so that should go down as 17.5 or i pay them the hole lot on december the 31st, although i would begrudge doing that! but it might be worth it to save £600. i managed to get a 9% discount tho which i was chuffed to bits with.

Don't think the VAT man will allow that. The Vat is calculated on the price of the vatable item and the deposit does not reduce the vat. Even if you pay for the car on 31st Dec you will still be liable for the VAT at the rate valid when the car is "delivered". The dealer does not have a way round that. The only way to reduce the VAT a bit is if accept a "bigger discount which is contra against a reduced trade in price" That way the nett deal between you and the dealer is the same , but the price before vat is reduced. So for every £1k you do you can save £200 (at 20%). However , the dealer will be cautious about doing this as there is one body you don't want to mess with , and that is the VAT man. What you need to do is "negotiate" some free extras. How about paint and upholstory protection (usually £350).... some thoughts.

It is a tough one, but I would guess if you can get them to invoice you, before the 31st. December, then you do not have to pay for the extra vat if car is delivered in 2011, trouble is not to sure the garage will want to do that, as it really messes with their quota systems etc. depends how bad they want to sell cars now.

But as ^^ said, which ever way you change it all around you are still charged the vat rate on the whole of the cars total invoice which includes the deposit. Just phone up your dealer now and see what ways there is around it, NOT AFTER JAN 1st.

When I ordered mine I was informed that if the delay went into 2011 I would be liable for the additional VAT, but not too bothered as I am getting a courtesy car from Audi from 3 months only have to pay insurance so that will cover the VAT in my eyes - especially if I get an R8 or an RS5....can only dream.

WHy are you paying Insurance, our dealer has promised they will insure with only a 250xs.. So getting October deal price (some contribution towards VAT rise) + a free car for 4 months + savings on TAx and Insurance + more valauble new car when it arrives + come PX time? Sounds good to me!

yeah ive looked it up and seems like there aint many ways out of the vat situation, i will need to give my dealer a call, one website says that you will pay the vat on delivery because you will need a chassi number for the invoice. but on looking further its only if your paying with finance that you need the chassi number. so im hoping to still pay them for it all before the jan the 4th vat deadline. as it should be a done deal. fingers crossed and i should find out when i ring them.

oh one other thing can any one answer me this; is it too late too add extras after youve already done the deal and got a build date? after all its getting built in feb!!

I ordered mine a few weeks ago. They have wrote to me saying a delivery will be estimated June 11. Do you think this is reasonable?

Related to the VAT increase, I did think about paying early, but with such a lead time - I'd rather pay the VAT increase - especially when you haven't even checked the car!!

Now got loan car, October PX price and VAT increase paid even though delivery isn't likely until mid march. Audi have messed up big time and it is good that they seem keen to look after loyal customers..

I bet having a loan car will be fun!! They told me in mid November that they will have a build date (which will probably be April 2013 at this rate) but haven't got back to me yet.. should I check with them tomorrow?

I purchased it with Drive the Deal, and I must say that the service with Drive the Deal and Audi themselves has been excellent. We have purchased a couple of audi's before over the last few years, and we waited around 3-5 months!

They offer an A4 as a loaner but as the A3SB is second car a loaner A3 will be better. Doesn't really matter TBF. Have cancelled insurance, cashed in Road tax and have Audi wheels until new BE arrives in march. Oct 2010 PX guaranteed, no VAT increase to pay happy so far...

I ordered mine a few weeks ago. They have wrote to me saying a delivery will be estimated June 11. Do you think this is reasonable?

Related to the VAT increase, I did think about paying early, but with such a lead time - I'd rather pay the VAT increase - especially when you haven't even checked the car!!

Keep us informed how you go on ? Been tempted by drive the deal in the past but never used them.

Chuffed to bits with my 14T Sline now, but it does seem a tad lazier than my previous 08 14T, turbo wont spool as quick at low revs as the other did, hopefully with a few more miles all will settle down. Only 600 miles at the mo.

Glad to hear your enjoying your A3! Yes, the engine will have to free up abit yet, but on the whole do you find it ok? I was toying with the 1.6, but I wanted the 6th gear and some more power!

Yes sure I will let you know how I get on. I was unsure myself, but there was so many good reviews for them - I thought i'll give them a try considering the saving. My experience upto now has been brilliant. I ordered the car and within 24hours they phoned to confirm the order and made me aware of the lead time.

I then received a letter from them explaining that the dealership will contact me ASAP and confirming the price with options etc. The dealership contacted me within a couple of days to introduce themselves, and to let me know some paperwork is on it's way and needs signing and to be returned in the prepaid envolope.

However, when I ordered the car, Drive the Deal's database was out of date (due to the new price list) and the paperwork which came through from audi had the wrong price on it. There was an increase of £1100 from the original price but because drive the deal had indicated an incorrect price, they were willing to reduce the figure to just over £700 and gave me the option to cancel the order.

I went along with it, and the new paper work from audi came through and we signed it and sent it off! The dealer said to me if I have any questions don't hessiate to ask. The dealership is about 2 hours away from me, so I am unsure to have it delivered? They gave me the option to have it delivered for free - but it will be driven up, or on the back or a transporter if I pay the petrol costs etc.

Including Xenon lights with DRL, Privacy glass and iPod Dock the figure came to £19,999.99! But comes with a VERY long wait :(

I'm just in the process of keeping my fingers crossed it arrives for around April!!

Hope this is useful!

Last edited:
mine is yet to be confirmed for the build slot but should be week 8 which is end of feb so i should get it at the end of march. as it was suposed to be december im getting the loan car on the 7th of jan from audi. insured and taxed by them. also ive paid in full this morning so i beat the vat increase. i was able to do this as i wasnt paying with finance. as finance needs a chassis number. so only 3 more months 2 wait. not long now

dunno about that matey - my 1.6 was a factory order in OCTOBER 2004 and didn't arrive until FEB 2005

mine is yet to be confirmed for the build slot but should be week 8 which is end of feb so i should get it at the end of march. as it was suposed to be december im getting the loan car on the 7th of jan from audi. insured and taxed by them. also ive paid in full this morning so i beat the vat increase. i was able to do this as i wasnt paying with finance. as finance needs a chassis number. so only 3 more months 2 wait. not long now

Ok, I was told Week 4 but not confirmed? They said they would phone back to let me know - but I might give them a call tomorrow and ask again. I keep seeing delays, that are rather worrying to be honest! I'm not using a finance method, so I did think about what you have already done to beat the VAT increase - but didn't fancy paying for a car, which hasn't been built!!

This loan car, is it a R8 by any chance? :)

Most Audi loan cars have been A4's but our Local Dealer swapped for an A3, Missus doesn't like the A4 especially the handbrake!

Regarding payment, why? My understanding was that Audi were also picking up the VAT increase on delivery, maybe this ia a local deal. I had heard that Audi had allowed dealers a fund of money for dealers to keep customers happy!!

They should introduce a fund for R8's as loan cars, then we would be cheering when they give us the 'bad' news :)

I phoned up today, and I have a confirmed build week - which was the actual scheduled one. The confirmed build week is 04, and will be built on the 24th Jan. I asked would this change, and they said no, its fixed - is that right? I ordered in October, and I think the order was sent off early November. I was expecting a much longer delay, or is it because I have gone for the S Line and not the Black Edition?

the loan car i managed to get was an A5 with nearly all the toys the cruise control is amaizing as its the one with the distance sensor. should get my a3 at end of march. fingers crossed!!