Audi A3 TDI 1.9 hard start when the engine is cold

Darius

Reaction score
Hello, maybe someone can help me. I have bought Audi A3 tdi 1.9 77kw 2007 some months ago and few months ago car became hard to start when the engine is cold. It usually takes like 20s+ of cranking for it to start. Once you start the car , you can turn it off and on again with no problems also i can still come back after like 2-4h and it will start with no problems in like half a second (time varies no idea why, sometimes you come back after 2h and its already dead and you need to crank 20 seconds again, sometimes even after 3-4h it starts without problems). If i leave car for longer periods like overnight or during working hours(anywhere from 5h+ to like 10h+) then i always need a long cranking for it to start again. But if i leave car turned off for even more longer periods (like a day or two passes since last driving, usually during weekends, when i don't drive) - it starts again with no problems. At first it was at random, like few days car drives with no problems, then another day i need to crank it to start and for the last month and a half that i have been driving it became permanent. I went to a few garages and in one they changed :fuel filter, rubber seals for fuel injectors, took out and cleaned fuel pump, checked glow plugs and engine compression.
Nothing helped and they didn't want to bother more so i went to another garage and they said the problem was damaged wires. They changed it and said everything should be fine now, but nothing changed i still have the same issue. Also when it was a bit warmer while you crank u just hear the starter making the normal buzzz sound, but when the temperature dropped a bit now, whenever you crank for like the first 5-10 seconds you can feel vibrations/shaking from engine and then it goes to normal starter buzzz sound.

Here are some examples:
normal cranking:

rough cranking with engine shaking/vibrations:

In short: car takes long to start when the engine is cold. Like 20s+ of cranking ( doesn't matter if its 20C+ outside or +0C temperature outside). After that it needs a day or two of rest for it to start without problems again ( or if you come back shortly after the last drive in like 0-3h period).

If anyone could help or have any ideas i would really appreciate it, Thank you

This is interesting, I have exactly the same problem with a Blb engine. All symptoms exactly as yours. I'm looking into it my self at the moment so I'll report back what I find.

I can’t help but think it’s a fuel supply issue......that seems like an eternity of cranking before it starts!
Bit of a long-shot here but there are 2 different fuel filter housings fitted to diesel A3’s depending on year/model , one made by UFI in Italy and the other Mann & Hummel in Germany, all taking a replaceable paper fuel filter element .
The Mann & Hummel type if I remember correctly have 2 different types of filter (think there’s an early & later version?) and the UFI type is different again.....so there’s 3 potential diesel filters a car could have fitted...
Might it be worth checking the correct one is fitted??
Just a thought.....

I can’t help but think it’s a fuel supply issue......that seems like an eternity of cranking before it starts!
Bit of a long-shot here but there are 2 different fuel filter housings fitted to diesel A3’s depending on year/model , one made by UFI in Italy and the other Mann & Hummel in Germany, all taking a replaceable paper fuel filter element .
The Mann & Hummel type if I remember correctly have 2 different types of filter (think there’s an early & later version?) and the UFI type is different again.....so there’s 3 potential diesel filters a car could have fitted...
Might it be worth checking the correct one is fitted??
Just a thought.....
Hey thanks for your input Nessy. Yes i had that dilema on which fuel filter to buy as it had 3 different options on Mann-Filter online catalog. Shop owner said it should be PU 825x but he wasnt 100% sure, so I went with it. Mechanic didn't say anything about it not fitting in . Any idea whats the correct one should be or how to check? My car is 2007 sportback tdi 1.9 77kw.

I’ve had a look at www.oemepc.com and it looks as if the 1.9 could have had either the UFI or M&H filter housing for your year.....
If you look carefully at the outside of the filter housing (you may need to peer with a small vanity mirror to see all around the housing) there will be a sticker stating the maker.....
I know from experience of using the Mann PU825X filter that this fits the UFI-housing as my car has the UFI system .
So first step I’d suggest is closely examine your filter housing and see what make it is.
It might not be possible to fit the wrong filter element in the filter housing ,so perhaps I’m barking up the wrong tree, but it’s worth eliminating that as a source of trouble for doing a simple check!
If your car has the M&H filter housing then it’s important that the correct filter element is used and that the sealing ring is used inside the housing (it’s the funny thing that looks a bit like the Olympic rings in the parts diagram pic).
Note that the UFI filter does not use this Olympic rings-type seal.
If your car does have the correct filter installed, then has the fuel system been purged of air?
I know that when replacing my filter (UFI system remember) I’ve never had to do anything, but the M&H filter housing does have what I believe to be a bleed screw on the top (I think visible in the pic) .
Anyway, hope I’ve given you some food for thought.....
0759EBC9 48D9 43FD A6B5 B49094B1CB0B

Hey, thx for reply. I was away for quite a bit and then left the car at another garage for different people to look at it, but they couldn't find anything to fix my problem. Then while waiting, last week, the weather temperatures dropped quite a bit and something unexpected happened. Once the temperature goes below -5C degrees ( as shown on car's display panel) the car starts absolutely with no problems. I was able to start it every time with half a key turn as long as the cars display showed outside temperature below -5. The cold weather lasted for like 4 days and I had no problems at all starting the car, no matter if the car engine was hot or cold. Now this last sunday and this monday the temperatures rised again and the long cranking problem came back with it. Anyone has any ideas what it might be?

Hey, thx for reply. I was away for quite a bit and then left the car at another garage for different people to look at it, but they couldn't find anything to fix my problem. Then while waiting, last week, the weather temperatures dropped quite a bit and something unexpected happened. Once the temperature goes below -5C degrees ( as shown on car's display panel) the car starts absolutely with no problems. I was able to start it every time with half a key turn as long as the cars display showed outside temperature below -5. The cold weather lasted for like 4 days and I had no problems at all starting the car, no matter if the car engine was hot or cold. Now this last sunday and this monday the temperatures rised again and the long cranking problem came back with it. Anyone has any ideas what it might be?

Hi Darius
Have you had any luck with resolving your starting problem?
I have what seems to be exactly the same issue on my 2009 A3 1.9 tdi E. It randomly takes 20 seconds to start some days, but it is only first thing in the morning, but some days it’s fine, even though it may have been stood a day or two.
I just cannot get to the bottom of it?!
Thanks
Rob

I had a similar issue on my VW Golf and after researching it was a well known 109 relay problem which was related to glow plugs (even though light on dash would go off), anyways I swapped it out for a new one and no more non starting problems. Always used to happen at the most awkward times too!

Worth a check/google

Hey, nope I had no luck at all so far since my last update. I left my car at a big garage (with good reviews and recommendations) 3 weeks ago. So right away next day they r calling me and saying - we changed your fuel injector rubber seals and bolts and the car is working(even thought i said them the rubber seals , not the bolts, was changed by different mechanic like 3 months ago already). I took the car and it was working with no problems for a week, but then the same long cranking (15-20seconds) came back. I left the car to them again, they took out high pressure fuel pump as I understood (the one attached to the engine) cleaned it or something, changed some gaskets. I took back the car a week and a half ago, no starting problems for like a 4-5 days and then this last saturday long cranking (zzzzzzz) again. The car had cranking problems for like 2 days, then somehow magically healed itself on monday and last three days i had no starting problems. And just yesterday the cranking came back.....again...I am lost and have no idea what to do. Its like the mechanics randomly change something that doesn't fix the problem and I pay the bills.

Pull out the relay I said above and have a look at the coils, if they are dull and not shiny I bet that is your problem...

Pull out the relay I said above and have a look at the coils, if they are dull and not shiny I bet that is your problem...

Thanks for your advice. I’ve been having a look at this relay issue on the web and all issues seem to be with the 1999-2003 model and when I look to buy one, they also only quote this model of the A3 that they will fit.
Could it still be affecting mine even though it’s a 2009 and should I be able to get a 109 relay specific for my year?
Thanks again

Before purchasing at least have a look, it's under/behind the dash drivers side. I understand how frustrating it is...I had a 2000 1.9 tdi Golf and after a problem similar to yours that was so infrequent it was hard to pinpoint and in the end I got one from local breakers for £2 (as opposed to £25 from VW) cured it. Hope it helps.

I have exactly the problem as yours on my Audi A3 8P 2005 and I have'nt found any solution yet. How did you fixed this problem?

Have you looked at the fuel lift pump from the tank to confirm the flow rate is correct into a bucket?

fuel may be siphoned back to the tank