Audi A3 sportback 'sport' discomfort

Baz123

Reaction score
This is my first official post- I have a question and really need to get some advise/help.

I have a brand new audi A3 Sporback Sport (2.0TDI). The car itself is great- top end motoring and build etc. It was the first time I opted for an Audi as previously been driving VW's or Japanese makes (Avensis).

It is also the first time I opted for a Sport spec- now I am thinking if this was a right move as I experience some discomfort.

I knew that a lower suspension meant a firmer ride- this does not bother me as the handling and grip make up for that- but does a sport suspension mean occupants will experience physical discomfort?? The thing is, I am getting wrist/finger strains on right hand and also when been in car for 1hr or so (sometimes less) I begin to feel strain in right thigh/ bum cheeks- again, mainly on right side. I have adjusted seat and still do this trying to find a correct position- but feel I have the right position- not stretching to pedals, elbows bent, knee slightly bent when pressing clutch.

I read on another Audi forum that for some people, the sport seats are just not 'right' no matter what. In my case it could be seats and chunky steering wheel??

Any help would be a god send!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have full napper leather sport seats in my sport SB .i have been from Coventry to Kent five or six times this year in my sport with original suspension .Its now harder as i have fitted coilovers ,Its still very comfortable?Infact i have had all the gti golfs , This is by far a better drivers car way more comfy than any VW .Have you any medical conditions?My seats are very comfortable .Perhaps you need to alter your seat more ?

Last edited:
when i first got my car i got back ache and pins and needles in my hand i just didnt have the seat set right after trying loads of settings
its good now and i have also lowered my car and regurly drive to west wales from london and the only thing that bothers me is when i get back from wales is how bad our roads are and the poxy speed bumps in every road in london grrr

Think of it this way... If it was an S-Line you'd be totally ruined! The sport suspension is actually not that bad compared to some of my other cars. I see it as more comfort than sporty to be honest. I should know i had a Type-R on coilies and that nearly crippled me lol! Try playing around with the seat to get a mor comfortable position.

Think of it this way... If it was an S-Line you'd be totally ruined! The sport suspension is actually not that bad compared to some of my other cars. I see it as more comfort than sporty to be honest. I should know i had a Type-R on coilies and that nearly crippled me lol! Try playing around with the seat to get a mor comfortable position.

Agreed, S-Line is a hard ride though the newer models are now softer...
I do know about the achy thigh though after about an hour on a motorway. Is the original poster about 6' 1"???

I know what you mean about the right thigh strain etc. etc. as I experience the same problem sometimes. However, I do suffer from sciatica on that side and driving can aggravate it.

Best thing I did was retro-fit cruise control so I can stretch the right leg when required.

Fiddle about with the seat height adjustment as that could help.

This is my first official post- I have a question and really need to get some advise/help.

I have a brand new audi A3 Sporback Sport (2.0TDI). The car itself is great- top end motoring and build etc. It was the first time I opted for an Audi as previously been driving VW's or Japanese makes (Avensis).

It is also the first time I opted for a Sport spec- now I am thinking if this was a right move as I experience some discomfort.

I knew that a lower suspension meant a firmer ride- this does not bother me as the handling and grip make up for that- but does a sport suspension mean occupants will experience physical discomfort?? The thing is, I am getting wrist/finger strains on right hand and also when been in car for 1hr or so (sometimes less) I begin to feel strain in right thigh/ bum cheeks- again, mainly on right side. I have adjusted seat and still do this trying to find a correct position- but feel I have the right position- not stretching to pedals, elbows bent, knee slightly bent when pressing clutch.

I read on another Audi forum that for some people, the sport seats are just not 'right' no matter what. In my case it could be seats and chunky steering wheel??

Any help would be a god send!

Not that it will much help but I experience similar problems. I had four A3 1.8T Sport's over the years but when I changed to my first 8P model back in 2004 I decided to go for the SE model to get the slightly softer suspension and the non-sport seats. My last three A3s, including my current one have also been the SE model and I must admit I find them far more comfortable, especially on long runs to Germany and Austria. The handling may not be quite as good as the Sport and SE models but it is still very good and I never find it a problem although I still tend to drive quite fast. The seats in particular I findvery much more comfortable.

You should the ride in my car with H&R springs on OEM shocks:ohmy: lol. My S-Line seats are very supportive but over long trips (4 hours plus) I also emerge with a bit of an ache from the seat in the lumbar and ****, whereas my old Bora with SE seats would be give ZERO discomfort although not supportive at all.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have heard S line suspension is lower than the support and even Top Gear mention it on their review so I guess I am lucky its not this spec!

Guess I will play around with seat and see if I can get 'right'- thing is, I am average height too so cant be too far away from pedals otherwise I will be stretching. The audi guy at garage did show me where he felt the steering wheel should be- pulling it closer to myself but I don't like it too close- have just pulled it in slightly but still retain bent elbow and when arms stretched, wrists sit on top of wheel (as I think this is what you're supposed to be able to do)

I may look at going to the Audi garage and sit in an SE model- may be even arrange a test drive to see if my body may simply be more accustomed to this model spec- all my previous cars (even a VW Bora SE) were fine. I could sleep in them!

Last edited: