Audi A3 sportback 2.0TDI 150 vs 2.0TFSI 190

nonicker

Reaction score
Hi!
I got two offers for used A3 sportback 2017.

First is 2.0TDI 150 s-tronic, second is 2.0TFSI 190 quattro, s-tronic. Both cars are priced almost the same.
* I've tested A3 TDI 150 and the "feeling" of power on gas pedal is fine.
There is wheel spin in 3rd gear on bad roads but ESC controls it. The car accelerates good especially in 2,3,4th gear.

* I cant test A3 TFSI 190. Are there any owners here of 2.0TFSI? Could you compare "the feeling" and acceleration of 2.0TFSI 190?

Thank you.

Why cant you test drive a car, I would never buy a car without testing it.
I have a 150bhp and it pulls like a train, but out of the 2 I would have went for the quattro all day long

Also you need to take into account what extras each car has.

I cant tell you about the TFSI as I dont own 1, but if the quattro is the same price as a FWD, you need to ask if there is something wrong with it.

When I was looking for my car in Feb, the quattros were about 2-3k more than the TDI/Petrol FWD cars.

Reactions: nonicker
Impossible to test the car at the moment, due to COVID19 restrictions.
I've tested 2.0 tdi 150 FWD. For tdi 150 quattro - i dont know the performance, but quattro specs acceleration 100-160 km/h seems 2-3 seconds slower then FWD.

If it's out and out acceleration and speed that you care about go for the petrol. The diesel feels quick in gear because of the extra torque, but it wouldnt keep up with the 190 petrol through the gears. It wouldn't be far behind though despite having less power, because it weighs less (50kgs or so) than the quattro and all that extra torque helps bridge the gap to a degree.

You can always get a remap done too, on either car (diesel up to 190bhp, petrol up to 240 ish). However, at this point the FWD starts becoming undriveable especially in the wet whereas the quattro delivers that extra power no matter what the weather. If modifying is something you might consider later then forget FWD all together. A quattro version of either the petrol or the diesel is a must here.

If fuel efficiency / mileage is more important to you then go for the diesel. It will be a lot more fuel efficient than the petrol but whilst the car will be brisk it may not be as fun, ultimately. That said, the petrol with sensible driving on longer runs can still get you 35, 40mpgs. I guess it depends on what your priorities are.

I currently have a 2017 2.0TFSI Quattro Saloon and love it. The engine is great, refined and smooth. Power is there when you need it and I get between 40 to 42mpg on motorway runs. Have nothing bad to say about the vehicle at all.

Reactions: mister.c. and nonicker
For me, 4WD everytime. Its worth the loss in MPG, and it will take a remap just lovely as you don't get any wheelspin.

Having gone back to a FWD 8P (after my Impreza) before my current Quattro 8V, it reminded me why I switched to AWD in the first place. Feels like a toy car being dragged around, and wheelspin is for kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: nonicker and Damo S
The only reason I can see is that the Quattro would be slower is that you have a lot more weight due to the Quattro drive system.

One thing about the quattro is that they are highly tunable due to the AWD where as the 150TDI, you can get max 196bhp due to FWD torque.

Either way, I would take the TFSI Quattro all day long, but I still would not buy it without a test drive.

If its from a dealer they should be cleaning it before and after so test drive should not be a issue, or if private you can do it yourself if the owner is happy.

Check the MOT checker to see if there is any issues, make sure car has not been in a accident or HPI, but still would not buy without a test drive.

I would never buy a car without a test drive, the gear box may be toast, or even worse, you never know.

They should not be selling a car and refusing test drives as it seems they are using covid as an excuse not to drive it??

Masks, Detol and alc. wipes will be fine to get into the car for a test

The only reason I can see is that the Quattro would be slower is that you have a lot more weight due to the Quattro drive system.

One thing about the quattro is that they are highly tunable due to the AWD where as the 150TDI, you can get max 196bhp due to FWD torque.

Either way, I would take the TFSI Quattro all day long, but I still would not buy it without a test drive.

If its from a dealer they should be cleaning it before and after so test drive should not be a issue, or if private you can do it yourself if the owner is happy.

Check the MOT checker to see if there is any issues, make sure car has not been in a accident or HPI, but still would not buy without a test drive.

I would never buy a car without a test drive, the gear box may be toast, or even worse, you never know.

They should not be selling a car and refusing test drives as it seems they are using covid as an excuse not to drive it??

Masks, Detol and alc. wipes will be fine to get into the car for a test

Thats not strictly true. its the limitations or abilities of the engine and turbo, not because of 'torque'. However remapping a FWD car above around 170 causes wheelspin, generally, imo, there isn't much point remapping front wheel drive cars when they are above the 150 mark. My 250bhp S3 powered MK2 Golf was FWD, and unless you're on the motorway, it was all wheelspin. Great fun when you're in your 20's, but you look like a tosser when you're in your 30+'s :)

Car dealers aren't open currently in the UK, only for pick up, hence possibly not being able to test drive. However if its bought remotely, its covered under usual distance selling CCR Regs.

Private sales also for similar reasons, I'd avoid buying privately remotely that's for sure.

I used to own a 1.8 TFSI. Driving a 2.0 150 TDI felt slow in comparison.
The 150 TDI will feel lively until you give it the beans and there is nothing else left. The diesel economy will better a 2.0 TFSI with quattro by approximately 15 mpg.
The 2.0 TFSI quattro will be a far nicer car to drive, will feel "planted" and won't slide all over the place if you give it plenty coming out of corners. It will cost quite a lot more to run in fuel, the haldex system will need servicing and is something else to go wrong.
Only you can decide on your priorities but if the condition of the two are the same, the petrol car looks better value.

I've gone from a TDI, albeit in an 8P A3, to the TFSI. I'd had diesels for years (high mileage) but my mileage reduced drastically so I went for the TFSI.

I've no problem with the TDI whatsoever, but the TFSI is much more refined and a nicer car to drive IMHO. Yes, I miss the torque of the diesel but there's enough grunt in the TFSI and it's quicker overall.

Ultimately, it's a personal choice and no amount of positive reviews - from either side - should sway you; it has to be your choice. What do you need from the car? What mileage do you do? Do you want or need quattro? You really need to drive them both and compare them, even if it's at a different dealership.

I can't test drive A3 2.0TFSI because its located in another country (Germany). Its sold by official Audi Center, Audi gebrauchtwagenplus, 1 owner, accident-free, full service history, 2017, 43.000km... The car had just minor paint smart-repairs on front bumper (scratches). Seems decent and checked vehicle. But at the moment it's impossible to test drive it (for at least 3 weeks).

Mileage is approx. 15.000km/year. Fuel costs are not a problem. I've tested TDI 150 and on local roads, wet and bumpy, it had problems with wheel spin. Since the roads here are not that good, mileage is not high - i'm considering 2.0 TFSI quattro. From available data, i'm thinking cca 7.5 l/100km would be average consumption with normal driving style. So, i wanted to check with A3 TDI/TFSI owners - is the feeling of acceleration/driving the same or .. different? Cabin noise and s-tronic transmission shifting?
Troublesome decision... :)

Last edited:
But why not test a similar car with the TFSI engine that's nearer to you so get a feel for the car?

My TDI was the 170 version. It felt quicker because of the torque, but in reality the TFSI is quicker. Compared to the lower powered 150, I'd imagine they'd feel similar. You seem sold on the quattro.

If it was my money, and there's no issue with fuel costs, I'd go for the petrol. I don't regret it at all and would be reluctant to go back to diesel.

Reactions: Damo S and nonicker
Fuel costs are not a problem. I've tested TDI 150 and on local roads, wet and bumpy, it had problems with wheel spin. Since the roads here are not that good, mileage is not high - i'm considering 2.0 TFSI quattro.
Troublesome decision... :)

I was going to say you won't really tell the difference of quattro on a test drive, but if you are willing to give it enough on a test drive to be losing grip then I'd imagine you'd be happiest with, and enjoy the 2.0 TFSI quattro a whole lot more.

You would notice the difference straight away just pulling out of a junction in this cold damp weather :)

Reactions: Dubjam
You would if you were giving it the beans. Most people test driving 2.0 150 diesels aren't so immature.

Not really. even our 1.0 ibiza spins the wheel pulling out the end of our road when its damp (hard right, slightly up hill).

Reactions: Dubjam
The 2.0 150 diesel is no firecracker. In a back to back comparison with the 1.8 TFSI I owned at the time, the TDI felt slow and frustrating to drive.

Interesting you would say that. I have just bought the 2.0TDI (non Quattro) because I felt it WAS a firecracker! It’s very nippy. And that’s from someone who has just downsized from the A4 B9 2.0TDI 190.

The only 1.4TFSI I have driven was in the A1 which was a great wee engine. Again very nippy and sprightly. Although the bigger and heavier A3 will damn that a little bit I would imagine.

Thank you all for replies on this. It has been an interesting discussion! :)

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Interesting you would say that. I have just bought the 2.0TDI (non Quattro) because I felt it WAS a firecracker! It’s very nippy. And that’s from someone who has just downsized from the A4 B9 2.0TDI 190.

The only 1.4TFSI I have driven was in the A1 which was a great wee engine. Again very nippy and sprightly. Although the bigger and heavier A3 will damn that a little bit I would imagine.
I test drove a 116bhp 1.6diesel Audi A3 and i was suprised, it had much more grunt than my old 130bhp Leon 1.5TSI, it was down on outright bhp over the 1.5TSI but felt quicker.

i settled in the end for a 2.0l tdi A3 with 150bhp and s-tronic box, it gives a nice shove low down the rev range and i am impressed with it. It’s much faster than my old 1.5tsi 130 and is no slouch. I contemplated mapping it but i think it’s fast enough as is.

@Bigjase88 I would have loved the Stonic box but I had to snap up my car quick as A3’s sell so damn quick and I couldn’t find any Stronic boxes with what I was looking for.

I was the same, I could not find any DSG boxes, they were all manuals.
But I love to drive manuals as well, so it was no big deal for me and cheaper to fix if the gearbox goes

@Bigjase88 I would have loved the Stonic box but I had to snap up my car quick as A3’s sell so damn quick and I couldn’t find any Stronic boxes with what I was looking for.

I was the same, I could not find any DSG boxes, they were all manuals.
But I love to drive manuals as well, so it was no big deal for me and cheaper to fix if the gearbox goes

i needed an auto as i had an OP in 2019 on my clutch knee plus it means i could get the missus to learn to drive in it too so was solely looking for an s-tronic. The missus can’t do manual / gears. Too complicated. I have owned a 330d auto previously and it was an awesome car and i did love it. Probably shouldn’t of sold that one.

I love auto cars, almost every car in canada is auto and my golf last year was DSG and it was great, but I always wanted a A3 and I just could not find any S-Tronic boxes out there, and as I was relying on my partner for a car so I was desperate