Audi A3 SD Sat-Nav

I had an sd card installed by Audi main dealer 2015 A3 sport back 1.4 Tfsi cost £550 my advice to any body considering this upgrade is DONT bother in my opinion sd system is not fit for purpose, big big mistake having it installed.

Although everyone has different expectations to what they deemed as a good or suitable sat nav, this user had high expectations as what would be an all round great sat nav for the price point of £550. Now we dont know what Michael Ayres had in his A3 if it was the SD Card version compared to the high version (internal hdd)

Hi Michael,
You are definitely not happy with the SD card system, is this because it is generally not as good as you thought it would be or poor compared to other systems or manufacturers? I have the sd system now but had the full 2g in a previous A4. I went for the smaller and cheaper option this time because for me the sd card was a good compromise given the excessive cost of the full system. I am amazed though that Audi don't put the SD card in as standard and let you update for the extra bits you might want. I find the card system meets all my needs and is definitely an improvement over the 2g, hope you find some hidden bits that make it a bit more worthwhile for you.

If you came from the old version up to the next, then yes it is a step up. Personally I've been using a TomTom and thats how I expect most of my Sat navs to be and the routes it takes you are better than the Audi version. The Audi has its benefits such as being integrated in the car and at available at a touch of a button with displaying directions on the DIS, however routes and other small features such as POST Code correction or correct route path does make other Sat nav's like WAZE or TomTom much more better.

Personally if I had to have another Audi and choose Sat Nav (SD Based) over another option like front parking sensors or heated heats I would go for the latter. The SD isn't value for money in my opinion if comparing it to WAZE or a TomTom module.

Whilst the built-in sat/nav is very neat set-up in the car, personally I think Audi have a long way to go in ease of use terms. I have used a TomTom device for many years and recently upgraded to one of their latest 6000 series devices. It provides all I want from a sat/nav as well as lifetime map updates, lifetime speed camera updates, always on traffic information using it's own SIM card and updates by WiFi. Being a touch-screen with a qwerty keyboard it is very easy to enter data. All of this is available for around less than £300. This makes even the Audi SD card version seem expensive at £495 and the full version at £1395 is silly unless you want all the other items in the pack. Audi even expect you to pay for map updates and a fee for Connect after 3 months for the SD system. My latest A3 has the SD version as standard but having used it on my last holiday to Germany to see what it was like I think I will be sticking to my TomTom device.

Hi all, I'm taking delivery of a new A3 Sport 1.4 this weekend and I didn't go for the sat nav sd card, thinking I'll just buy the SD Card elsewhere at a later date. My dealer quoted £495 but would find out about activating a card if I buy it elsewhere.
Can anyone offer a link to somewhere (ebay for example) of one that would be suitable? I can see a few on ebay right now around £100 but I just want to ensure I get the right one!
when you say "new" it sounds like you mean brand new?? - if so, sd sat nav is standard on sport trim I believe but I guess you would know that, so presume you are talking about an older model then?

I'm in the same boat as Matty8114 - I take delivery of mine on Monday/Tuesday next week, and I am very intrigued as to what my options are. It almost seems there's no definitive answer on price for either option. I definitely prefer it to a TomTom etc., but £500 is a lot of money when you've just shelled out near 25k on the car.

I'm going to email my dealer tomorrow and try to get a price on them fitting it before I collect it. I'll let you guys know.

As its £25k it sounds like you mean brand new?? - if so, that surely is not a base trim model so isn't sd sat nav standard ?

Yes the only model that does not have Navigation as standard is the SE. All others including the SE Technik, Sport, S-Line etc have the SD card version as standard. It's a trim related item and is not related to engine size or type.