Audi A3 s line vs BMW 1 series m sport

J4MES

Reaction score
Although probably bias, if you were to be given a 3 year old A3 S line or 1 series M sport, both with identical mileage and specification - which one would you choose and why?

A x

A3 as the ride on the 1 Series M Sport sucks ***. But may be better with the silly run flats taken off.

Its a really hard question facing me - and I dont want to go to the other side really. I used to have a 3 series and the reliability was shocking, but it was back in the day and it was an S reg. Maybe things have improved?

Its a really hard question facing me - and I dont want to go to the other side really. I used to have a 3 series and the reliability was shocking, but it was back in the day and it was an S reg. Maybe things have improved?

I think they're both as bad as each other.

IMO the 1series is just too ugly to consider in any guise.
And the back is very small.
And its ugly.

Cheers
Paul

lol Dont pull any punches there Paul....

But the 1 Series is ugly and dare I say a tad feminine!!! Sorry

I agree with the above answers about the 1 series,thay are ugly and tend to be for ladies.if you're considering a bmw go for the 3 series.

A3 no doubt. as above, 1 Series = ugly and it won't hold its value as well as an A3.

If you want an ugly car go for the 1 series! It may be better dynamically but it's ugly inside and out and I couldn't live with one.

The A3, easily!

In Norway, the 1-series is a real womens car, I think the interior looks and feel cheap. And I don't want rear wheel drive. Getting stuck in winter isn't cool.

Did you know that BMW asked the 1-series owners of what kind of drive they thought their cars had, and 80% answered front wheel drive. So BMW is planning to put out a front wheel drive model for the 1-series.

And its ugly.

Cheers
Paul

I feel so much better now that others voice the same opinion... :)

Got flamed before for saying that on a North American forum... lol

Echo the girlie car thing too.
The 3 people I know who have a 1 series are female. That wont bother some though.

That said, 4 guys at my work have Minis yet claim to be raging red blooded Hetros?
Apparently the 1 series drives very well, but thats that enough for me of something looks that *****.

Susan Bolye might be an absolute vixen in bed, but would you????

cheers
Paul

Echo the girlie car thing too.
The 3 people I know who have a 1 series are female. That wont bother some though.

That said, 4 guys at my work have Minis yet claim to be raging red blooded Hetros?
Apparently the 1 series drives very well, but thats that enough for me of something looks that *****.

Susan Bolye might be an absolute vixen in bed, but would you????

cheers
Paul

To be fair, most of the people I know (aside from on here) that drive an A3 are girls. Small hatchbacks aren't very manly, whether of the Audi or BMW variety.

As for Susan Boyle - if you want to imagine her as a vixen in bed, then go for it, but don't type filth like that....

Having owned a 1series 120d M Sport from Brand new, I Can give a half decent opinion on this:

1 series For:
Quick
really handle well

1 series against
good to race around in, but horrible to drive any distance
looks dated, been around too long with no facelift/change
interiors feel like they came straight out of a vauxhall astra
everything is an option!
ride is ridiculously hard

i had my one series for 9 months, did really like the car, unfortunately had to change when Doctor found out the seats where giving me sciatica!

Since having the A3, and people saying how hard the ride is etc, i can honestly say the 1 series fail into comparison against any sort of A3.
the only car i would change my current A3 for is an S3!!

The A3, easily!
Did you know that BMW asked the 1-series owners of what kind of drive they thought their cars had, and 80% answered front wheel drive. So BMW is planning to put out a front wheel drive model for the 1-series.
So much for the superior driving experience of BMW and rear wheel drive! Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. It was pretty funny to see all the 3 series jokeys going nowehere but sideways in the snow earlier in the year.

1 series is particularly fugly.

A3

Last edited:
Having owned a 1series 120d M Sport from Brand new, I Can give a half decent opinion on this:

1 series For:
Quick
really handle well

1 series against
good to race around in, but horrible to drive any distance
looks dated, been around too long with no facelift/change
interiors feel like they came straight out of a vauxhall astra
everything is an option!
ride is ridiculously hard

i had my one series for 9 months, did really like the car, unfortunately had to change when Doctor found out the seats where giving me sciatica!

Since having the A3, and people saying how hard the ride is etc, i can honestly say the 1 series fail into comparison against any sort of A3.
the only car i would change my current A3 for is an S3!!

I've got to agree with the comments on the ride. A mate of mine had one for a couple of years and hated it. He had an E46 Coupe before, and a couple of E92 Coupes since. He likes his BMW's, just neved bonded with the 1 Series.

The ride was so hard, a couple of speed bumps between his house and work meant the tracking would be miles out after just a couple of months. Overly firm ride + run flats = fail.

The other problem facing the 1 series is the 3 series.

The almost iconic 3 series has been the default BMW choice for years and spawned so many brilliant models. And therefore the 1 series has so far been its shadow.

The A4 has rarely been much more than a premium Saloon, this has enabled the A3 to stand on its own as a pretty desirable model over the years.

Ive actually been a passanger in a 1 series 120d M Sport (the 170odd bhp version) and was completely underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Please BMW, start again and give A3 owners a proper premium hatch alternative.

cheers
Paul

The other problem facing the 1 series is the 3 series.

The almost iconic 3 series has been the default BMW choice for years and spawned so many brilliant models. And therefore the 1 series has so far been its shadow.

The A4 has rarely been much more than a premium Saloon, this has enabled the A3 to stand on its own as a pretty desirable model over the years.

Ive actually been a passanger in a 1 series 120d M Sport (the 170odd bhp version) and was completely underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Please BMW, start again and give A3 owners a proper premium hatch alternative.

cheers
Paul

To be fair though, has the 1 Series cannibalised BMW's 3 Series sales? I don't think so...

And as much as we may not all like the 1 Series, a lot of people do - there's no shortage of them on the roads. Not driven by enthusiasts, they're mostly company cars for sales reps, etc.

I think BMW missed a trick by not fitting the n54 265bhp straight 6 in the coupe- I think their aim was to avoid stealing sales from the 135i. I think the coupe looks not bad at all if they made a 130i I would consider that as practical and ok looking alternative to the Z4 coupe 3.0 si which my friend has and I love.
That engine is amazing, revs so quickly, amazing throttle response, great sound and isn't much slower then the E46 M3.
The hatchback versions however are hideous to look at and the ride is even worse then the A3s. The interior is also a horrid mix of random curves and lines and is almost as ugly as the outside.
The handling is better-much sharper steering , less body roll and quicker direction change, but the damping is not great although better then the A3s again. It also extremely cramped in the back and the boot is tiny compared to a quattro sportback.
The diesel engines' performance and economy are really the only thing is has going for it with the handling.

I know you said same spec etc but I do think it comes down to model you're looking at:
130m vs S3 - S3
130m vs 3.2 quattro - 130m
120d vs 140 bhp tdi - 120d
120d vs 170 bhp tdi - a3
123d vs 170 bhp tdi - 123d
The looks are an acquired taste, but beauty in the eye of the beholder etc etc

To be fair though, has the 1 Series cannibalised BMW's 3 Series sales? I don't think so...

And as much as we may not all like the 1 Series, a lot of people do - there's no shortage of them on the roads. Not driven by enthusiasts, they're mostly company cars for sales reps, etc.

I dont dispute its a relative sales success, just that it has a bit of a limp image in the shadow of the 3 series.
And it looks really gimpy IMO.

Paul

I do prefer the 1 Series, i sort of jumped into the audi without thinking. But i wish i got the 1 series, my main reasons for getting shut of my mini was economy. I wanted something i could put the dog in and my 4 year old, good mpg, tunabilty, and could be a fun car with mega insurance. Comfort, looks and interior where not the top of my list and i theres no way a fwd A3 tuned would of been as fun as a RWD 1 series tuned. Made the wrong decision realy but i love my A3 for now.

Hmm, i'm also considering changing to a 120d sport, also test driving a Merc C220cdi this weekend (coupe)

The 1-series was a pointless exercise from BMW. They made so much of the RWD, longitudinal engine and superior handling, totally failing to recognise that virtually noone in the market for such a car cares about such things. The vast majority of 1-series customers were women who were just after the badge and happy to be seen in a poverty-spec Beemer rather than a decently equipped Golf for the same money. In catering for the few that did care, they compromised the rest of the car for those that didn't, with a lack of interior space and the long bonnet leading to awkward styling.

BMW are on the decline IMO. Their latest models have very bland styling compared to previous generations - just look how boring the current E9x 3-series looks compared to the previous E46, which was such a nice shape. The new 5 looks just like a magnified 3 and has none of the "brave" styling of the previous model. Their interiors are far too "clinical" and not at all welcoming places to sit compared to the likes of Audi or Mercedes. Their i-Drive design people still focus far too much on integrating every single function into the system, resulting in a horribly overcomplicated interface. Finally, where's their answer to Audi's R8? Could it be that the makers of the "ultimate driving machine" are too scared to try in case they come up short? They seem more interested in producing pointless rubbish like the X6.

They also seem to have virtually no motorsport involvement these days. Whilst we have Audi dominating Le Mans for the past decade and duking it out with Mercedes in the DTM, who are also providing the best engine in F1, where are BMW? They canned their F1 programme and have no real presence in endurance racing, touring cars or rallying.

Ten to fifteen years ago, I aspired to owning a BMW, but not any more.

The 1-series was a pointless exercise from BMW. They made so much of the RWD, longitudinal engine and superior handling, totally failing to recognise that virtually noone in the market for such a car cares about such things. The vast majority of 1-series customers were women who were just after the badge and happy to be seen in a poverty-spec Beemer rather than a decently equipped Golf for the same money. In catering for the few that did care, they compromised the rest of the car for those that didn't, with a lack of interior space and the long bonnet leading to awkward styling.

BMW are on the decline IMO. Their latest models have very bland styling compared to previous generations - just look how boring the current E9x 3-series looks compared to the previous E46, which was such a nice shape. The new 5 looks just like a magnified 3 and has none of the "brave" styling of the previous model. Their interiors are far too "clinical" and not at all welcoming places to sit compared to the likes of Audi or Mercedes. Their i-Drive design people still focus far too much on integrating every single function into the system, resulting in a horribly overcomplicated interface. Finally, where's their answer to Audi's R8? Could it be that the makers of the "ultimate driving machine" are too scared to try in case they come up short? They seem more interested in producing pointless rubbish like the X6.

They also seem to have virtually no motorsport involvement these days. Whilst we have Audi dominating Le Mans for the past decade and duking it out with Mercedes in the DTM, who are also providing the best engine in F1, where are BMW? They canned their F1 programme and have no real presence in endurance racing, touring cars or rallying.

Ten to fifteen years ago, I aspired to owning a BMW, but not any more.

I disagree with quite a lot of that! The coments re the 1-Series are right to a point, but I think BMW would also have been criticised if they made a FWD 1-Series having always sung the praise of RWD so strongly.

I think the E92 Coupe looks fantastic, the E92 M3 in particular. Knowing a couple of people with X6's, I disagree that they're pointless or rubbish. Whilst not tasteful, for somebody who wants the road presence and high up driving position of an X5 but doesn't need a car to seat 5 people it makes sense. And it can handle. The people that buy X6's love them. And I would.

As for your motorsport comments, for companies like Mercedes, BMW, VAG.... it's all marketing, and despite all the crap they come up with, nothing translates onto a road car. Mercedes may well produce the best F1 engine - but they bought out an existing independent engine manufacturer who already produced great engines many years before they put their cash in. If BMW thought motorsport was a great marketing expense they'd still be doing it.

I don't aspire to a BMW, any more than I aspire to a Merc or an Audi. I take all the models on their own merit.

I know you said same spec etc but I do think it comes down to model you're looking at:
130m vs S3 - S3
130m vs 3.2 quattro - 130m
120d vs 140 bhp tdi - 120d
120d vs 170 bhp tdi - a3
123d vs 170 bhp tdi - 123d
The looks are an acquired taste, but beauty in the eye of the beholder etc etc

2.0TFSI shopping trolly vs 3.2 quattro - 3.2 all day long :)
2 wheel drive 130m with awful auto box ? vs 3.2 quattro dsg........work it out.....lol :)

Dont rise Pete...its a ****** stupid thread...1 series v A3 ??
A/ dont ask on an audi forum
B/ If you need to ask they you wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

I disagree with quite a lot of that!
Which is your prerogative, of course :)

I think the E92 Coupe looks fantastic, the E92 M3 in particular.
I'll grant that the E92 is the best looking of the 3-series models but the standard 4-door is just bland and none of them looks a nice as the old E46 did in its day.

Knowing a couple of people with X6's, I disagree that they're pointless or rubbish. Whilst not tasteful, for somebody who wants the road presence and high up driving position of an X5 but doesn't need a car to seat 5 people it makes sense. And it can handle. The people that buy X6's love them. And I would.

Fair enough - personally I really don't see the point. Why have something as large as an X5 but with less space?

As for your motorsport comments, for companies like Mercedes, BMW, VAG.... it's all marketing, and despite all the crap they come up with, nothing translates onto a road car.
Whilst that's true of a lot of motorsport activity, in Audi's case I'm quite sure that a lot of their diesel engine technology has been researched through their R10 and R15 LMP campaigns.

If BMW thought motorsport was a great marketing expense they'd still be doing it.
It's always a great "marketing expense" if you win - if their F1 team had done better I doubt they've have pulled the plug. I accept that most of motorsport is marketing but I'm including the marketing side of things when I say BMW are in decline relative to their competitors. Regardless of the merits of the actual cars, it's also about the public's perception of the companies themselves. For a company which prides itself on the performance and handling of its cars and which once used the slogan "The Ultimate Driving Machine" to not be competing in any form of top-flight motorsport doesn't send out the right message IMO.

:)

Just my feelings on a few bits:

X6 - if you don't regularly carry back seat passengers, then the X6 makes sense. You need to drive one, or be driven in one to "get it". There's something quite surreal about the speed they can carry around the twisties whilst being the size of a semi-detached house.

I'm sure Audi do claim a lof of their diesel engine technology comes from the R10 and R15. I don't agree though. They want to show a link, but is that really R&D? Oh and as a rule BMW make better diesel engines, despite the lack of motorsport inspiration ;)

Mercedes are now spending a huge amount on motorsport, but yet most of their cars are still bought by fat balding company directors. People more interested in the dynamics are more likely to buy an M3, M5, etc. than an AMG Merc.

Can't speak much for the beemers although the 1 series is just tooooo fugly for me but the 3 series m coupe is a beutiful thing to look at imo especially in white with red leather!!:sex: As for the winter vs rear wheel drive debate, i have a 140 tdi s-line a3 sportback and it was pi** poor in the snow to the point where i was being passed by rear drive jags, corsas and scabby old mondeos whilst i was pushing mine with the missus in the drivers seat and that was with nearly new tyres so plenty of tread!:mad:

And its ugly.

Cheers
Paul

Basically this!

I find them alright inside and to drive but they look horrendous. And when you are spending that kind of money you want something that looks good as well as actually being a good car to drive!

The 1 Series is too feminine for guys, sorry but true. They have some good engine choices for size of car but the A3 is just better in so many ways. BMW have much better cars the bigger they go.

Thanks for all the info. It pretty much confirms my suspicions that most people think the 1 series is a bit ugly and not as reliable as the A3.

A3 it is! x

Thanks for all the info. It pretty much confirms my suspicions that most people think the 1 series is a bit ugly and not as reliable as the A3.

A3 it is! x

To be fair the comments generally suggeset the 1 Series is ugly. I don't think most people think it'll be less reliable than an A3 though.

It looks ugly viewed head on but has a great stance especially when its moving.

If i had to buy one over an A3 it would be top spec with a 3ltr engine. Only then can i enjoy the benefits of a RWD chassis