Audi A3 FSI 2.0 Coolant Warning, Emission Control System Warning light. & Servicing

dk1234

Reaction score
Hi, a few problems I would appreciate some advice on.

I have an Audi A3 54 plate FSI. I've had the coolant warning beeps and warning coming on my DIS for about a month or two. I did read on here around when it first started to happen about the sensors could need cleaned. Unfortunelty I've been very busy and didn't look further into it. Mostly when it first started happening, after I drove for a while or over bumps the coolant warning would go away. I figured it might just go away but it's hasn't. The fan also comes on faster / harder, for example when I turn of my car engine off I can hear the engine fan roaring away for about 10-45 seconds afterwards. On checking the coolant it is between the min and max markings (maybe more near the min but above that line)

I've seen posts (whilst searching) that say that you can clean the sensor with the coolant tank still attached to the car and that you can use a flat headed screw driver or similar to clean the prongs of the sensors. I was wondering though, would the scrapings from cleaning the prongs in that way cause a problem? as the scraping would be floating about in the coolant tank.

In the last 2 weeks I noticed that I've had the Emissions Control System light come on my dashboard. It is just lit. On searching on here I will check out the fuse F8 (if i remember correctly) in the engine bay fuse box to check if that is blown.

I've seem vagcoms mentioned to find faults etc, what other makes and models of cars can they be used on? as I'm not sure how long I will be keeping the Audi for yet, it would be good to know. (I got a load of uni work to do :( hence my limited time to do all the research.

My car is also in need of a full service, I'm trying to work out a good garage in or around North London. I phone Russel Automotive Centre and they were charging £250. Looking on Audi's fixed prices they are charging £299. I also think it's time to get the cambelt and water bottle changed. Not sure if I should use either of them or go local as I'm not sure how long I want to keep this car for. Russel Automotive Centre for Cambelt etc is £435, Audi is £429 but I dont believe that includes water pump.

Thanks for any help

i just checked the F8 fuse in the engine bay and that looks fine, so it's not that, that is causing the Emissions Control System warning light to be on. Does anybody think that it could be related to the coolant problem or is more likely to be a seperate problem?

Quick question if I keep driving my car like this can I mess it up or cause more damage? I aint really drove it for the last week. I'm going to take it to a garage as soon as I work out what one as it needs a full service. But, if I could sort out the Emission Control and Coolant problems it might save me a bit. From looking on the net somebody suggested using a toothbrush to clean the prongs in the coolant tank, it was a different car though. I don't want to cause any other problems so thought I'll ask first if you guys think that would or wouldn't work.

If your coolant is at the correct levels. Then you likely have a faulty sensor in your coolant tank. The coolant tank has the sensor built into it and the part doesn't cost a lot (probably 50gbp or so).