Audi A3 E-tron

Don't mean to hijack but I recently took the etron for a spin in early December after sitting on my hands for the past 6 months waiting to purchase a new car. Having lived in central London for close to 10 years I've had little need for a car and I've probably cycled at least what I've driven in that period alone. However time has come to upgrade my '96 micra for something a little more luxurious

As mentioned before the silent pull away is eerie but once you are above 10mph you sort of forget that you are driving a hybrid, let alone an automatic. The transition between petrol and electric engine appeared seamless and had to keep on checking the display to see what was powering the car. Granted that the A3 is not a luxury executive car, but the interior (on the test drive model) felt like you were being well catered for with heated leather seats, panoramic sunroof and plenty of electronic displays to keep my inner geek happy. I had around 30 mins to drive both local roads and jump on a dual carriageway. The etron was certainly quick (I guess anything is quicker than a 998cc micra). My only comparison/experience in performance would be to my father's golf GTD which I'd say would be similarly matched. In summary I really enjoyed driving the etron and felt very similar to a TDI I test drove a week earlier, so much so i returned in the new year and placed an order in monsoon grey

The only disappointing part for me was the sheer lack of movement on price or any extras the dealership would throw in even though I went a little crazy and pretty much ticked all the extra options . Went as far as to speak with the manager who gave me the "it's a very new car and you'd be only a handful of people driving one in the UK, plus with the government grant you are getting a very good deal already" spiel. Will probably throw in some accessories like iPhone cable, boot mat and tank of fuel/electricity - but this was off the record!! FYI I was going in as a cash buyer, finance was offered at their standard 7.4%

Just waiting for a delivery date now

A nice colour, Monsoon Grey. It was my second choice after Scuba Blue. Interestingly, Daytona Grey is not an "Option" colour for the UK e-trons, but is for German e-trons.

I had the same response from the dealership regarding discount but accessories are a different matter. I obtained 13% discount on my winter wheel/tyres and probably would have obtained better if they had not already been reduced. Keep a close eye on your delivery date and progress. I was advised BW=7 but the car turned up at the dealership in early December. Luckily I managed to get a couple of changes to my original specification in time!

I'll be collecting mine on the 15th which is the official launch day. Unfortunately you can't collect them before that date so I'll probably be one of the few for a while. I ordered mine back in August when the books opened, having test driven a pre-production LHD model at one of the e-tron days out in Warwickshire. I guess they may be ramping up production now that the demonstrator vehicles have been at dealerships for a month by now.

In any case, you'll probably benefit from the Congestion Charge exemption as well as other benefits. Are you going to get a 16/32A charging point installed?

Hey Guys,

Still toying with this idea. Still not taken a plunge in either direction yet.

Where did you guys get a test drive? I'm in the South East and I really don't want to go to Brighton for a 30 minute test drive if I don't have to.

I have used Camberley Audi for this and my previous A4. I have managed a couple of 2-hour test drives albeit the first one was with the battery only partially charged. Have a chat with Richard Melis if you are interested. Jerry

I ordered mine from Chingford Audi as Watford were rather rude and told me that I couldn't test drive until Jan and that I should place my order immediately due to high demand - this was back in November. Wasn't going to drop £35k on a car that I hadn't even driven :/

Jetron - unfortunately I don't have off street parking but have a parking lot that backs onto my house which I will likely run a 16A supply to the back of the garden and charge from there. I've also enquired with the council to apply for a charge point in our area as the closest one is in a tube station parking lot. Other than that there are plenty of points in and around places I go :)

Don't forget that you should still be able to get an outdoor/weatherproof charging point installed for free although you may have to pay for some of the cabling if it is a long way from the nearest distribution board. Worth enquiring anyway.

I thought the requirement was to have off street parking to qualify for the charge point grant? Please correct me if I'm wrong as it would save the hassle and money trying to put one up myself.

I took one for a test drive early december, having been eagerly waiting for quite some time. I was sold almost instantly, I got quite a good run and spent a good while chatting to the sales girl at Preston Audi, ordered the next day.
I've still not received my build week yet, so trying to decide what options I'm going with.

currently thinking about these
Equipment
7X5 Audi Parking System Plus with park assist 240.00 GBP
PU7 Auto-dimming rear-view mirror with light and rain sensor package 245.00 GBP
9VS Bang & Olufsen sound system 750.00 GBP
6XK Door mirrors – auto-dimming on the driver's side, electrically adjustable,
folding and heated 250.00 GBP
PCE Driver assistance package 1,105.00 GBP
7P1 Electrically adjustable lumbar support 195.00 GBP
7HE Extended mono.pur interior finish 295.00 GBP
UH2 Hold assist 90.00 GBP
6SJ Reversible load floor mat 65.00 GBP
KA2 Reversing camera 275.00 GBP

I thought the requirement was to have off street parking to qualify for the charge point grant? Please correct me if I'm wrong as it would save the hassle and money trying to put one up myself.
I'm not 100% sure about the current requirements, but I was able to have mine installed for free albeit off street. I guess you could trawl/search through www.gov.uk for the current situation, otherwise speak with a known installer. I had mine installed by a Guildford based company who installed solar PV systems. You could check them out at www.techforenergy.co.uk or enquiries@techforenergy.co.uk

I'm not 100% sure about the current requirements, but I was able to have mine installed for free albeit off street. I guess you could trawl/search through www.gov.uk for the current situation, otherwise speak with a known installer. I had mine installed by a Guildford based company who installed solar PV systems. You could check them out at www.techforenergy.co.uk or enquiries@techforenergy.co.uk
Just found out on gov.uk website that:

Property Eligibility
11. In addition to owning, leasing or have primary access to an electric vehicle you must have off street parking facilities suitable for chargepoint installation (a survey prior to installation should be conducted by your installer). If you do not have off street parking, your Local Authority may be able to help via a central Government grant to install recharging infrastructure. More details can be found at
www.gov.uk/government/publications/government-funding-for-residential-on-streetcharging-for-plug-in-vehicles-a-guide-for-members-of-the-public

That's exactly what I came up with. I've just fired off another email to Barnet council for them to put in request for the grant, so fingers crossed.

This is also what options I went for:
Exterior
Monsoon grey, metallic
Aluminium roof rails
Audi sound system
Door mirrors – electrically adjustable, folding and heated
Driver assistance package
Electrically-adjustable front seats
Electrically adjustable lumbar support
Heated front seats
Hold assist
Interior lighting package
Milano leather
Panoramic glass sunroof
Privacy glass
Reversing camera
Storage and luggage compartment package
Through-load facility

I would prefer a smaller car, like an A1, and more performance, as for me it is not going to be my main transport. Tesla are bringing out a smaller body sometime next yr, but for me the main obstacle is the sheer cost, they are just way over priced, cannot see you ever recouping your money on price difference alone.
I wonder if you went to buy one now due to such a drop in fuel prices if they would give a better discount?
I do feel now it is the way forward when the prices come down, and the range goes up, with a reasonable cost of battery replacement.

Regarding Green, personally It makes we wonder how green they really are if you take in account Batteries, replacement etc.

Do you think that technology on hybrid, hydrogen fuel cell and electric vehicles is moving very quickly and may leave buyers with an outdated vehicle?
However the Prius is still going strong after all these years so perhaps that's not an issue? Perhaps the same thing could be said for ICE vehicles too?

I think Jetron made this point earlier that a similar spec'd car would be of a similar cost and since I was in the market for a new car the etron is a nice alternative without compromise on looks, range and performance. Plus since I live in the London most of my trips are <30mi with added benefit I can charge my car at work, supermarket and home for next to nothing.

If in 5 years they bring out etron mk2 with 60mi range then i'll consider an upgrade, but for now 20-30mi is sufficient.

Reactions: jetron
Brett, are you suggesting that the Tesla is "way over priced" or the e-tron? I agree that the Tesla is an expensive car, but I'm not sure they make a huge profit on each one.

As for the e-tron, its performance is more than adequate for me, I gave up being in a hurry to get anywhere a long time ago, but am happy that it will run on zero-carbon energy.

The base price for the e-tron is high although several thousand pounds of that is due to the high spec, with Technology Pack, full LED lighting and MMI Navigation Plus etc. included as standard. As calculated earlier, if you add such features to a TDi Sportback, you will end up paying more.

Now for the battery. This issue continues to raise concern amongst some. The 8.8 kWh battery fitted as standard is modular and I would imagine that if some control system of an individual cell went faulty, it could be replaced, just as an ECU or an alternator. The battery and associated management system is the result of many years of R&D not to mention racing by Audi and I for one am confident that it will last 10+ years quite easily. I have laptops and phones that use Lithium ion batteries that continue to function well some 8 years after purchase. I am therefore not surprised that Audi gives an 8-year warranty on the e-tron battery as they have limited the charging current to 15-16A and provide liquid cooling, which is somewhat more cautious than another German manufacturer has done with their recently launched EV. I for one certainly haven't taken into consideration the cost of a replacement battery.

I have no doubt that I will encounter technical issues in due course as I will be one of the first to own an e-tron in the UK. Like many early adopters, I am prepared for such issues and have maintained an excellent relationship with my local dealership with this in mind.

I think all Hybrid cars are over priced, and that price is including a discount Government subsidy if I recall. I know it is the technology you are being charged for, and when they build more in mass prices will drop, but that is a lot of money for an A3 though to be fair it is good performance, but the range will be disputable once you start pushing it.

I have not done sums, but I will be interesting to work it out after a few years, and how much depreciation will it have if someone knows it is getting near time to replace batteries.
I agree 8 yr warranty is good
I wonder what price, can you replace just a few cells?

I would be close to buying a Tesla if it was not so huge, the performance intrigues me, although not the weight :(
How difference does this huge price in petrol make to e-tron, although I know prices will rise eventually?

So many Question so few answers, bar the price though for the E-tron is a good buy, I would buy one for my GF, but it is too big, she prefers smaller cars, would of thought Audi would have made an A1 version first

I've done a little more research into this and finally got a test drive booked. I've got to admit, I'm sold on the idea even more so than getting a S3 (which was my initial intention).

Some of the clinchers are:

- 8 Year battery warranty - I never keep a car that long anyway!
- Being able to use battery alone for 30+ miles at road speeds.
- High spec including Tech pack high, Interior light pack and LED lights all as standard.
- The fact you can charge from a normal 240v socket, although I'll be looking at a charge point (if it is fitted for free)
- 200HP when in dual mode isn't bad either!

I'm looking forward to the test drive now, already owning an 8V I know what to expect interior wise. I just hope the battery is charged when I arrive! I'm also looking forward to you guys' real world experience when they get delivered. By any chance does anyone know what the GFV is after 3 or 4 years?

My father in law has a brand new Toyota yaris hybrid. He loves it (don't know why) and he always says how efficient it is and that he gets 58mpg...ha ha.you can get a 1.6tdi that will do 80mpg! Lol
Personally I wouldn't bother with an overpriced electric car thing. Get an S3, enjoy yourself while they still make "normal" cars. In a few years you will be able to buy an electric car that will basically drive itself, so enjoy driving a proper car now.

35k is a lot just to save a few quid on fuel and tax. Just get a 1.2 petrol for under 20k and save yourself 15k?

My father in law has a brand new Toyota yaris hybrid. He loves it (don't know why) and he always says how efficient it is and that he gets 58mpg...ha ha.you can get a 1.6tdi that will do 80mpg! Lol
Personally I wouldn't bother with an overpriced electric car thing. Get an S3, enjoy yourself while they still make "normal" cars. In a few years you will be able to buy an electric car that will basically drive itself, so enjoy driving a proper car now.

35k is a lot just to save a few quid on fuel and tax. Just get a 1.2 petrol for under 20k and save yourself 15k?

Yeah but you're not really comparing apples to apples here.

If you were in the market for a ~200bhp car that has really good fuel economy and a low BIK rate you're probably comparing the A3 e-tron to the A3 184 TDI Quattro.

When you factor in the rebate, the inclusion of things like LED lights and the tech pack, and lower ongoing costs (particularly if it's a company car) then the e-tron works out to be cheaper and faster.

It seems like a bit of a no brainer next time around for me and to satisfy the performance car itch I'll probably just run a second hand Merc C63 AMG for a few months between this car and the e-tron.

I wonder if this will take the same route as Diesel, back in the 80's everyone was told to buy Diesel, much cheaper to run, big savings, and cheaper too, now look at it, give it 20 yrs when everyone has electric, price of electricity will rocket so the government can coup in to cover it loses on Diesel and Petrol :(

I wonder if this will take the same route as Diesel, back in the 80's everyone was told to buy Diesel, much cheaper to run, big savings, and cheaper too, now look at it, give it 20 yrs when everyone has electric, price of electricity will rocket so the government can coup in to cover it loses on Diesel and Petrol :(

Probably, but how many of us will still be running the same car in 8 years time?

Maybe we'll all be driving metal-air electric cars or flywheel/hydrogen fuel cell hybrids by then!

Reactions: coddy85

That logic could carry on and say why not buy a car for less than a grand and save all that money?

The BIK or tax benefits is of no interest to me, this is a personal car. But at current tech levels, this is the present and near future.

I have to say I think that the e-tron/hybrid approach is probably quite a good one for certain use cases. If you are someone who travels the length and breadth of the country regularly doing long journeys then diesel is probably still the way to go. But for many commuters and people (such as my wife) who typically do short journeys in and around town but want the ability to go further and/or not have range anxiety then e-tron like cars seem to be a good option.

I think it was previously discussed, but I think someone did the comparison and found that once you specced up a standard A3 with the same kit then the prices were very similar or slightly cheaper for the e-tron. It's somewhere earlier on in this thread. So if you were planning to spec those extras anyway (granted a big if) then considering the e-tron is a no brainer, IMHO.

+1

Also the ability to warm the car up on a morning using my phone whilst having breakfast would be a real game-changer for me!

That logic could carry on and say why not buy a car for less than a grand and save all that money?

The BIK or tax benefits is of no interest to me, this is a personal car. But at current tech levels, this is the present and near future.
Spot on @coddy85, as I stated in one of my first posts, it isn't just about the economy or the performance and certainly not the BIK as I am now retired. I like the clever way that Audi has put the package together. Its about the whole package, just as someone who has an S3 with added Technology Pack or LED lights or B&O speakers doesn't just enjoy the car's performance and handling.

I for one have invested in order to buffer myself against the inevitable increase in energy costs by using solar PV panels which more than meet the majority of my energy needs.

Everyone has their own preferences and "to each their own" as they say. It is interesting to see such polarisations on this forum, partly due in all fairness to the breadth of the A3 model range. Thank you Audi :uk:

Reactions: coddy85
I have to say I think that the e-tron/hybrid approach is probably quite a good one for certain use cases. If you are someone who travels the length and breadth of the country regularly doing long journeys then diesel is probably still the way to go. But for many commuters and people (such as my wife) who typically do short journeys in and around town but want the ability to go further and/or not have range anxiety then e-tron like cars seem to be a good option.

I think it was previously discussed, but I think someone did the comparison and found that once you specced up a standard A3 with the same kit then the prices were very similar or slightly cheaper for the e-tron. It's somewhere earlier on in this thread. So if you were planning to spec those extras anyway (granted a big if) then considering the e-tron is a no brainer, IMHO.

This. Even a specced S3 with discount is about the same.

+1

Also the ability to warm the car up on a morning using my phone whilst having breakfast would be a real game-changer for me!

It's a nice commodity to have!

Spot on @coddy85, as I stated in one of my first posts, it isn't just about the economy or the performance and certainly not the BIK as I am now retired. I like the clever way that Audi has put the package together. Its about the whole package, just as someone who has an S3 with added Technology Pack or LED lights or B&O speakers doesn't just enjoy the car's performance and handling.

I for one have invested in order to buffer myself against the inevitable increase in energy costs by using solar PV panels which more than meet the majority of my energy needs.

Everyone has their own preferences and "to each their own" as they say. It is interesting to see such polarisations on this forum, partly due in all fairness to the breadth of the A3 model range. Thank you Audi :uk:

I like that people can have their own views and thank you Audi for making the range so diverse!

I've also just come off the phone to the dealer who assures me that the GFV of the e-tron is about the same as the S3, if not even higher! So could be a better deal on PCP.

I for one wouldn't spec a new Audi without Tech pack at the minimum, S-tronic is also essential in my opinion. The only thing I wish had been standard was comfort pack or drivers assistance pack.

I look forward to your review in the coming weeks jetron!

This. Even a specced S3 with discount is about the same.

It's a nice commodity to have!

I like that people can have their own views and thank you Audi for making the range so diverse!

I've also just come off the phone to the dealer who assures me that the GFV of the e-tron is about the same as the S3, if not even higher! So could be a better deal on PCP.

I for one wouldn't spec a new Audi without Tech pack at the minimum, S-tronic is also essential in my opinion. The only thing I wish had been standard was comfort pack or drivers assistance pack.

I look forward to your review in the coming weeks jetron!
Early morning phone call from my dealer after his team meeting with management this morning. The Launch date for the e-tron is now the 17th January, not the 15th January as previously advised. However, as I had planned to drop the car into the detailler on the 15th for pickup on the 17th, the dealer will now drop the car off under trade plates and return it to the dealership on the 17th on my behalf. Audi won't release the registration number for any e-trons until the 17th. I guess I end up with two days extra Audi insurance and who knows, maybe the dealer will send other customers to a certain Aldershot based detailler in the future once he brings the finished product back to the dealership!

Could have been worse:)

I think all Hybrid cars are over priced, and that price is including a discount Government subsidy if I recall. I know it is the technology you are being charged for, and when they build more in mass prices will drop, but that is a lot of money for an A3 though to be fair it is good performance, but the range will be disputable once you start pushing it.

I have not done sums, but I will be interesting to work it out after a few years, and how much depreciation will it have if someone knows it is getting near time to replace batteries.
I agree 8 yr warranty is good
I wonder what price, can you replace just a few cells?

I would be close to buying a Tesla if it was not so huge, the performance intrigues me, although not the weight :(
How difference does this huge price in petrol make to e-tron, although I know prices will rise eventually?

So many Question so few answers, bar the price though for the E-tron is a good buy, I would buy one for my GF, but it is too big, she prefers smaller cars, would of thought Audi would have made an A1 version first
Brett, if the news from late last year that VW were looking to bring out a Polo hybrid, you could end up in a win win situation as I'm sure Audi would pre-launch the Polo e-tron with an A1 e-tron :thumbs up:

Jetron, I am looking forward to your reports in the real world, another ? I ask myself, is adding all these electronics xtras how does that effect battery time on a journey? and Fuel Consumption?

Jetron, I am looking forward to your reports in the real world, another ? I ask myself, is adding all these electronics xtras how does that effect battery time on a journey? and Fuel Consumption?

Me too.

My understanding is that the killer is the HVAC system. I think heating the car in particular is a massive drain on the battery as there isn't any waste heat to make use of.

Me too.

My understanding is that the killer is the HVAC system. I think heating the car in particular is a massive drain on the battery as there isn't any waste heat to make use of.
I'm not 100% sure but the cooling systems, either engine, motor or battery, may have some effect on the cabin temperature. I'll just have to wait and see...

Now that there is some interest in the e-tron, I thought I would share some documentation that was shared with me by Audi Uk earlier this year. Of particular interest to some may be the last few slides regarding the A3 e-tron as a company car and associated model comparisons and case studies.

.....sorry for the aspect of the pictures/slides. They were uploaded in landscape mode but have changed to portrait for some reason :(

If anyone is interested I read today that Audi has arranged a deal with the renewable energy supplier, Ecotricity, for a special tariff including a free first thousand miles.

You can really claim to have a green motor when travelling then...

If anyone is interested I read today that Audi has arranged a deal with the renewable energy supplier, Ecotricity, for a special tariff including a free first thousand miles.

You can really claim to have a green motor when travelling then...
Hi @ToniqR, I am very interested in details of their deal. Ecotricity currently supply my electricity and I know about the free £40 (1000 mile equivalent) but require my V5 registration document to claim this. I didn't know about about any deal with Audi although Audi do advertise ecotricity in at least one of their e-tron brochures but the one I have only states I can receive the equivalent of 1,000 miles of electricity for free and free access to ecotricity's "electric highway" of public charging points. Again, for the latter I require my registration number and possibly my VIN. The free access to ecotricity's "electric highway" is available to any electric powered car owner, not just Audi owners and you don't need to have ecotricity as your energy supplier. The 1,000 miles of electricity for free does however require to sign ecotricity up as your supplier.

Interesting, so are we saying that 1000 miles on EV is equivalent to about £40? That's a figure I needed to give me some further number crunching to do.

Interesting, so are we saying that 1000 miles on EV is equivalent to about £40? That's a figure I needed to give me some further number crunching to do.
Sounds about right to me. I've been running my calculations on the basis of 3p/mile in electric costs.

Interestingly enough I've been running the numbers for the e-tron against my current 184 and speccing the e-tron to the same level it looks like it would be cheaper for me even if all the miles were done on petrol thanks to the BIK rate.

Now to find out how much it would cost me to change cars mid-lease.... :(

So for me it means it costs about £1.20 to fill with electric? Not too bad. Also if my company allows me to hook up at work then it will be a free ride home too.

@a3_phil If you had your car through VWFS it's very easy, I think I've done it about 4 times!