Audi A3 Coolant Temprature

dan_gto

Reaction score
Hello all, ive got a problem with my audi a3 1.8t, 2001.

About a month ago the engine management light came on, so i got vag out, and came up with 1 error - 17704 - Error in Mapped Cooling System (usually temp Sensor or Thermostat).

So i went for the cheapest option and bought a temp sensor, may i add, before i fitted the new temp sensor, my car was getting up to temprature within 5 mins, sitting on 90.

Now with the new one fitted, my car didn't warm up even after driving 40 miles, the maximum temprature it got up to was about 80.

I just find this very odd, and im a little confused to why my cars behaving like this ? should i change my thermostat aswell ? i need help lol

Cheers.

I would have gone thermostat first, tricky but worth it. there is another thread here shows you how to do it on a 20v 1.8t from a tt

Same deal as I had, changed my thermostat last week and it sorted it out.

Stat is about £8 from GSF and all you need then is a bottle of G12 coolant for when you refill the system.

Its a bit of a sod to get the housing off but if you take the main feed from the alternator off it makes it a lot easier.

T

Ok cheers for the help guys, ill have to order a thermostat, and have ago at fitting it at the weekend, ill let ya know how i get on. =]

Did you buy a genuine Vag sensor?
My neighbour bought a cheap ebay one for his Cupra R & his guage started reading lower. I had a spare one which we stuck in & his guage went back to normal.

No, i bought a cheap one from ebay ha, maybe i should try that first before the thermostat, cheers.

I'll give it ago tomorrow, didnt get a chance last weekend.

Last edited: