Audi A3 boot release issue..

mohammedisap

Reaction score
Hi all!

This may seem like a stupid question, but how do I get my boot to open without using the button on the key?
It doesn't work when the key is in the ignition, and it doesn't open when I press the door unlock button? Am I doing something wrong?

Okay. To unlock the boot you have the following options

Press the middle button on the key fob (assuming yours in the same as mine which has lock at the top, boot in the middle and unlock at the bottom). So that will only open the boot.

Or you can press the unlock button twice which unlocks all the doors, the fuel tank and tailgate simultaneously.

Or you can use the key in the drivers door turning the key twice to the unlock position (anti-clockwise) you must turn it twice within 5 seconds.

The central locking switch on the drivers door can also be used to unlock all the doors including the tailgate on the vehicle.

That's how it should work unless someone has been playing around with VCDS and has reprogrammed it!

To open the tailgate you can either press the tailgate button on your fob for more than 1 second and this will open it.

Or press the release catch under the Audi badge.

If the car is locked pressing the middle button on the fob will only unlock the tailgate. It then locks the tailgate again automatically when you shut it.

If your tailgate wont open it can be opened from the inside. There is a cover than you prise off in the centre of the tailgate. You insert your key in the round opening and push move the key to the right (not tried this but it is detailed in my manual.)

If the remote control isn't working the first step would be to resynchronise the remote. To do this press the unlock button on the remote.

Use the key to manually unlock the drivers door within 30 seconds.

Press the unlock or lock button.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: