Audi A3 +BHP Guide!

Dave, there is no need for the attitude. If you amend the post with more realistic gains, we will look at putting a link to it in the stickies thread.

Thats all Voorhees wanted you to do in the first place. Up to you, edit it and it' 99% stuck, or leave it to die a natural death, your choice.

he could have said it slightly different though tbh. in a more friendly manner. ill update accordinglyif i could i would change it now. but i cant edit it anymore for some reason.

also if anyone who can pin point exact figures then that would be helpful and tbh i dont know any more than the rough figures ive already posted. as mentioned previously im not an expert unfortunately

cheers

Dave, air filter and exhaust (well the back box) have not been proven to give gains..... reference is on S3 mind but i think a lot of the same methodology will follow across - it has been proven on an RR that S3 doesnt benefit from no air filter which means no restriction at all

Exhaust isnt restrictive on S3, A3 - the issue is the DP/CAT rather than the cat back system

and as Voorhees says, FMIC wont get you power, just allows you to make best the power you already have

thats all i can give you at the min as cant be ***** to read it all :)

nice one dave, good effort mate!! deffo got some ideas flowing in my head! lol

cheers mate!

Dave, air filter and exhaust (well the back box) have not been proven to give gains..... reference is on S3 mind but i think a lot of the same methodology will follow across - it has been proven on an RR that S3 doesnt benefit from no air filter which means no restriction at all

Exhaust isnt restrictive on S3, A3 - the issue is the DP/CAT rather than the cat back system

and as Voorhees says, FMIC wont get you power, just allows you to make best the power you already have

thats all i can give you at the min as cant be ***** to read it all :)

fairs do's mate if i can ill adjust that at some point thanks for the advice. i thoughti read someone on done some test with sports cat and without n it didnt make much difference if any at all. but the downpipe did. might have been one setup but i put it up as others feel happy with their sports cats. opinions eh :p

17.If I had to replace the turbo with a bigger one do I have to change any of the engine internals? - Yes... See Tufty's build thread.

Got a link to that?

nice 1 dave i found it very helpfull!!

An intercooler wont increase power? Since when?

The ECU's in most A3's aim for a target boost pressure, irrespective of which intercooler is fitted.

If you take a remapped A3, with the standard intercooler, you might get for instance 1bar of pressure in the inlet, and this will equate to a specific power output.
If you then fit an intercooler, the ECU will still aim for 1 bar of pressure, however because the air is now cooler, its more dense, and therefore more oxygen is now present in the cylinders. This additional oxygen is compensated for by the ECU, adding more fuel, and so creating a bigger bang and more power.

Reactions: tkirkwood
An intercooler wont increase power? Since when?

The ECU's in most A3's aim for a target boost pressure, irrespective of which intercooler is fitted.

If you take a remapped A3, with the standard intercooler, you might get for instance 1bar of pressure in the inlet, and this will equate to a specific power output.
If you then fit an intercooler, the ECU will still aim for 1 bar of pressure, however because the air is now cooler, its more dense, and therefore more oxygen is now present in the cylinders. This additional oxygen is compensated for by the ECU, adding more fuel, and so creating a bigger bang and more power.

i just dont think voorhees likes me for some reason mate

lol just realised in one of my posts i put wini instead of welly LOL :laugh: thats ur new nickname now man.

hmm i made this in august last year and its all still valid information. But now the 3inch TIP could be added along with the ebay downpipe links.

Last edited:
Despite all the arguing lol u opened my eyes to the fact I can bolt on a ko3s to my a3 using only a different TIP so cheers dave

hehe did get a bit heated. shame i cant remove the bhp figures as this would help alot of people. nevermind eh. glad it helped mate

is the ko3-52 a version of the ko3s and still bolt straight on with the TIP obv lol

great write up mate, definitely gave me direction to what's what and my k03s is waiting for a TIP now since its confirmed i cant use the standard Tip. :respekt:

cheers mate

Brilliant guide, But the problem is that my wish list for the car has grown even more, Hate you Dave <3

--------------------------------------- FMIC (Front Mounted Intercooler �250+ BHP depends on other mods FMIC is another popular mod adding that much need cooling to replace the insuffcient standard SMIC (side mounted intercooler). Once you start remapping adding boost etc its recommended to keep the temperatures down. Its a relatively cheap mod all things considered and looks great behind the grill. There are a few options from Forge etc but you can get decent kits on ebay with all the extras you need. It can be fitted by the average Joe with some pretty normal tools on a saturday afternoon. The most popular for the A3 with proven results is the Turborevs kit for A3s @ ~�200 on ebay. ---------------------------------------
Bit of a bump here but as i'm looking up mods for my A3 i had a look at this and these are now going for £1000!! SKODA OCTAVIA AUDI A3 1.8T FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER KIT | eBay