Audi A3 a better prospect for a fast car than an S3?

silver75 said:
(I think) he is trying to say you guys only bought the S3 over the 1.8t because of status

i brought mine for the colour...............

and the haldex, pumped up arches, bigger wheels, heated electric leather seats, bigger turbo, EPS, twin exhaust, etc, etc, etc...... basically because it is a phat car :icon_thumright:

nickelvery said:
It won't be better performance, a S3 remapped gets from 250 to 275 BHP where as an A3 gets just over 200 BHP.

Did you read the post?

235-240Bhp actually in the above configuration, with 20Bhp per tonne MORE than an S3.

So actually, S3 beating performance on figures alone.

Dave_Bayern said:
Did you read the post?

235-240Bhp actually in the above configuration, with 20Bhp per tonne MORE than an S3.

I stand corrected.

I'm a ponce...I'd prefer to put my **** on the table and say I drive an S3 than saying I drive an A3...

I've come from modified golfs and my last one, although I loved it, I'm getting a bit beyond modifying cars...

The S3 fits the bill for me as it is sensible enough for work (driving clients about) but can also tick the boxes for me on my own and having fun....

I wanted to buy a car that, out of the box, was top spec, not go down the route of buying car and spending money to try and make it better...

I don't disagree at all with your point, as it is a very well constucted point, it's just, for me, if a friend says, what car do you drive, I would prefer to say S3 and have to explain that it is the top of the range A3 than say an A3 and have them say, oh, the S3 is a nice car, did you consider that...

I know it's poncy but that's just the way it is! I had a golf gti, but had to upgrade to a VR6 because of the status....

LoL! Honest at least.

I think it's actually the Audi Marque attracts people I think that want that little extra status, which I can't really blame people for, its a status driven society these days.

Mind, I'd drive a dog **** on wheels if it was fast enough :)

silver75 said:
yes of course it is.. what is it then? a budget brand?? Your car probably cost 25-30 grand brand new.

£25k-£30k I do not class as an expensive car at all, i'm not saying it's a budget brand by any means but I do not class it as an expensive or "exclusive" brand.

silver75 said:
(I think) he is trying to say you guys only bought the S3 over the 1.8t because of status

If I wanted to buy a car for status I would have gone for the Porsche

A Boxster can be had for 12K these days with reasonable mileage. But again, some people won't buy the Boxster as its the 'poverty porsche' despite it being an excellent mid engined car in its own right.

Dave_Bayern said:
Did you read the post?

At least I will know I will disappear into the distance when it rains or snows Dave. :moa:

S3IZZO said:
£25k-£30k I do not class as an expensive car at all...

mate
no matter which way you look at it that is a lot of money for a hatchback. Name one hatchback that costs more than the S3?

I did not say audi is an exclusive brand (obviously) but it is a premium brand in comparison to ford, vauxhall, mazda etc (and im sure you are aware of this)

S3IZZO said:
£25k-£30k I do not class as an expensive car at all, i'm not saying it's a budget brand by any means but I do not class it as an expensive or "exclusive" brand.
I think you need to apply £25k-£30k for a Hatchback, then tell me it isn't an expensive car with a straight face, this was 7 or so years ago remember, now the going rate for the current S3 is £30k+, I think that's expensive!

Poser.

S3IZZO said:

Porsche, I do not class as an expensive car at all, i'm not saying it's a budget brand by any means but I do not class it as an expensive or "exclusive" brand.

If I wanted to buy a car for status I would have gone for the Veyron :beee:

Dave_Bayern said:
Did you read the post?

paper does not show the reality! in relaity my K03 sport turbo AGU golf with 5 speed box was pretty much on a par with my STOCK 225 hp S3, the 6 speed helps keep the bigger k04 buzzing, the 4wd helpos off the line and overall they were pretty much the same over a 1/4 mile, maybe the s3 a little quicker to 60mph.

Remapped S3s have some serious torque, remember, like 290ft, compared to the K03 s on an agu with say 240ft!

Your paper figures dont quite add up to the reality, I know absolutely, as i have both!!

But handling is the real difference betweenthese two cars, on a trackday, the 4wd does not a great deal unless it is wet, sticky tyres, stickier tracks mean 240hp through the fornt WITHOUT an LSD is no problem at all.

But to maybe prove Dave's point a little, last year at Mallory in my k03s golf, I was able to absolutely MINCE up all the TT 225s, and three MTM BT S3s...! Why, well holding 95mph around Gerrards helped...its easier to get the FWD dtuff to handle well on road and track, the S3 is far more fussy with the independant rear end!!

Cool, I didn't know anyone on this site had both.

Interesting perspective, and yeah, a lot of the Golf guys (and myself) find that the FWD car is brilliant for throwing around corners at silly speeds far in excess of the speeds the 4WD vehicles are happy doing.

The K03s power curve is preferable to the K04s right up until about 5K, so that'll be why you were embarrasing the 'bigger' cars.

You make a very interesting argument dave and its somthing i thought about before buying my S3. The other option was a 1.8T quattro A3 with money to spare to get it modified. I dont regret buying the S though. Every time I look at it with the big arches imola paint and exaust tips piano black inside etc, it makes me smile.

If that makes me a poser in your eyes....I'm a poser!

some interesting POV in this thread.
I bouhgt my S3 because 1 - it was cheaper than a LCR, it has 4WD and the chassis that i wanted.

I didnt buy a golf because it wasnt fast enough ( i wanted turbo) same reason for the skoda (apart from the fact its FUGLY)

nickelvery said:
I didn't think that was the case. I thought they were the same.
Yes, the S3 has a different rear suspension to the FWD A3. To accommodate the 4WD system, it has independent rear suspension (as does the A3 quattro, R32, etc) rather than the cheaper option fitted to FWD Mk1 A3s and Mk4 Golfs. At that time, only the Focus Mk1 offered independent rear suspension in that class of car - which is why lots of people raved about its handling.

Jump forward to now and Mk5 Golf, latest Astra, Mk2 Focus etc. all have independent rear suspension as they have latched onto the fact that it gives better handling 'out of the box'.

Hope that helps.

Dave_Bayern said:
Cool, I didn't know anyone on this site had both.

Interesting perspective, and yeah, a lot of the Golf guys (and myself) find that the FWD car is brilliant for throwing around corners at silly speeds far in excess of the speeds the 4WD vehicles are happy doing.

The K03s power curve is preferable to the K04s right up until about 5K, so that'll be why you were embarrasing the 'bigger' cars.

MIne's not often below 5k on track tbh!!!!

Its down to the handling and the fact if you bin it its worth £4k not £35k!

Far easier to explore the linits of a £5k hot hatch than a £50k porker!

i bought my S3 cause its fully loaded looks the nuts mixes luxury with performance & i can afford one. I didnt think about mods at the time still have no regrets even after reading this thread.

The problem I have with S3's, is that they are just uncool. There's no other way to say it.

A lot of people disagree with me, but it's always the same poeple I see driving them. Fat people, or old people who have no business in a hatchback. I never see anyone young in an S3. Obviously because of it's price, but that's what makes the A3 1.8t a lot cooler in my opinion. Younger people drive it.

The S3 is for fat people. Also, every person who I see in an S3 just looks like a ****. It's like I look on their face that says "yes, I am a ****".

It's like you never see an RX8 being driven fast, and you never see one with even a spot of dirt. It's because they only attract a certain demographic.

S3's only attract a certain demographic: Old, fat, dicks.

...........? Quite the most stupid post I have read on Audi-sport since the remapped diesel threads....!

I think we can gues what demographic you are from fella...........!! CHAV!!

Why do you think the coolness of a car is related to the youth of the driver...? You think Spaxo's and 1 litre Polos are cool then....?

jojo said:
I think you need to apply £25k-£30k for a Hatchback, then tell me it isn't an expensive car with a straight face, this was 7 or so years ago remember, now the going rate for the current S3 is £30k+, I think that's expensive!

Agreed, I suppose £25k-£30k is a lot for a hatchback/small car.

Perhaps some people on here have bought an S3 for it's "status" judging from the reaction.

Any how I think we are drifting off topic a bit here :)

jojo said:

Obviously not :)

simch said:
...........? Quite the most stupid post I have read on Audi-sport since the remapped diesel threads....!

I think we can gues what demographic you are from fella...........!! CHAV!!

Why do you think the coolness of a car is related to the youth of the driver...? You think Spaxo's and 1 litre Polos are cool then....?

No I don't. And I'm not a chav, I figured you might be able to gether that fact from the way I am able to write legible English.

I don't know what a Spaxo is, and I probably think the same of 1.0 Polo's as most other people.

The S3 is an uncool car. Look at the S3 owner above me.. The guy's listed the colour of his indicator bulbs in his signature!! Who gives a **** about indicator bulbs?!?!?!

Don't get mad, Stanley, no prizes for guessing which car you own!

leave1 said:
The problem I have with S3's, is that they are just uncool. There's no other way to say it.

A lot of people disagree with me, but it's always the same poeple I see driving them. Fat people, or old people who have no business in a hatchback. I never see anyone young in an S3. Obviously because of it's price, but that's what makes the A3 1.8t a lot cooler in my opinion. Younger people drive it.

The S3 is for fat people. Also, every person who I see in an S3 just looks like a ****. It's like I look on their face that says "yes, I am a ****".

It's like you never see an RX8 being driven fast, and you never see one with even a spot of dirt. It's because they only attract a certain demographic.

am 22 and drive a S3

am i too old to own a S3 ?

Nah, I never said every single owner on the entire planet is fat and old, I said all the people I see driving them are.

The falling price of the second hand S3's that change hands these days is opening the market to a broader range of people, and that's a good thing. The less fat boring dicks driving S3's, the better.

If you take offense to what I say, perhaps you care a little too much about cars.

leave1 said:

:think: it sounds to me like your slightly bitter and that you arent able to afford an S3 with comments like that.... everyone i know that owns an S3 arent old, fat or dicks.... infact they are twenty something fitness freaks.... and as for their manhoods..... well i cant answer that one.....

Who can't afford a 12 grand car!?

Come on man, come up with something a little better than that. Why would I be bitter about a ****** car? I can't afford a porsche carrera, but I still like those.. I think a clio 172 is a cool hatchback, and you can pick those up for 5 grand.. So what's your point? There's loads of **** on this planet that I can't afford, I'm not going to get bitter about it..

My A3 cost me more when I got it than an S3 costs now..

leave1 said:

LOLOL I genuinely laughed out loud at that :):)

leave1 said:
Who can't afford a 12 grand car!?

quite a few people........ i couldnt up till a year ago.....

leave1 said:
I can't afford a porsche carrera, but I still like those..
if you can afford a 12 grand car surely you could add another 3/4 grand and buy one.....
leave1 said:
I think a clio 172 is a cool hatchback, and you can pick those up for 5 grand.. So what's your point? There's loads of **** on this planet that I can't afford, I'm not going to get bitter about it..

engines are good granted but why do you think they are only worth 5 grand ?

leave1 said:
My A3 cost me more when I got it than an S3 costs now..

which is ?

very interesting thread dave! shame its gone a little off topic!

if your at the audi meet on sunday id very much like to have a chat about the ko3S onto an AGU idea......

my turbo seems to be getting a bit smokey from time to time these days, and if a ko3S upgrade is as cheap as you make it sound, id be VERY interested in going ahead with that.......

see you guys sunday!

now, enough bickering.

back on topic!

I'd still take the S3...
The suspension design allows you to dial in more negative camber, the rear suspension design gives more grip, better traction...and also importantly more confidence.

You can make an A3 do what an S3 can...but you have to drive the A3 harder, and closer to the car's limit to do it...
Take the S3 to the same point and the inbuilt design advantages will still make it the faster point to point car, all weathers, all surfaces, in my view.

If you want a FWD VAG car to turn from something that doesn't handle, into something that does...I'd take a Mk3 Golf as the suspension design on that lets you dial in lots on negative camber - something an A3 doesn't allow - so if trackdays are your bag, my view is that a Mk3 Golf will be a better option....but you loose the 1.8T option.

I have a well tweaked Mk3 GTI...and it'll quite happliy show standard S3s/TTs the way home on accelleration, braking and handling...and will give certain high power S3s a bit of a scare on the right backroad (eh Chris?) but you have to drive it 100%...where the S3 driver is probably sitting at a much safer and more comfortable 85%.

The advantage of a well sorted S3 is that it's sooooo easy to drive quickly.

This is really quite an intersting thread.

I think in a Nutshell the S3 is so more appealing inside and out to look at, Alot more comfortable too with those recaro's. So out of the two the S3 has more power as standard and better looking plus more comfortable so id say as standard the S3 would definitly be the better car to own.

But if we're talking track capabilities all of that doesnt matter raw power and handling are the key factors and you can make both cars pretty capable track cars with £££ Spent on them.

At the end of the day though a man buying an audi wont be buying it for its track capabilities so id say some-one buying an Audi will buy an S3 everytime.

Never the less i totally agree with Dave an A3 1.8T could Rape an S3 round a track with some money spent on it.

If i wanted a track car though i definitly wouldnt have an audi!

Never-the-less i have an Audi and i can still have fun Raping an S3 round a track!

Hehe ;)

Jason

Ess_Three said:
If you want a FWD VAG car to turn from something that doesn't handle, into something that does...I'd take a Mk3 Golf as the suspension design on that lets you dial in lots on negative camber - something an A3 doesn't allow - so if trackdays are your bag, my view is that a Mk3 Golf will be a better option....but you loose the 1.8T option.

thats a very interesting viewpoint. Mk3's aren't known for their handling by any stretch and the vast majority of VW based track cars are Mk1's and Mk2, abeit with Mk3 wide track, so utilising the Mk2 lightness and durability with the Mk2 suspension and 5x100/brake upgrades. Using the Mk3 front and rear (and the 2.0L bottom end) on a Mk2 16v makes an AMAZING car.

1.8T is a very viable and very easy option with the M1/Mk2/Mk3 series, and it would easily be within the price for mods quoted above, you can pick up a low mileage 1.8T for 1.5K with box. Loom work, and the suspension, ARBs etc would still be below another 1.5K.

So in essense, sticking with the VAG cars, you could build a Mk2 VERY cheaply that would absolutely destroy 99% of Mk3 Golfs, Mk4 Golfs, Audi A3s and Audi S3s.

In fact, that might be why I'm on the lookout for a decent Mk2 shell!!!

The mk3 gti 16v can be turn into a very quick good handeling car, they have a bad image for being fat and not a great gti from the factory but it is well know that with simple suspension mods which now days arnt that expensive they can be made into good gti. Also the abf engine is restricted as vw needed it to sit between the 8v and the VR6. The ABF can be tune to 190bhp with ease, plus it has a much better engine management over the KR and 9A 16v engines.

Yeah, proper intercooler for us AGU owners for under £300!!

Just be interesting to see if it fits under a standard 1.8T bumper as those guys were using R32 bumpers.

I can't afford the £300 this month after turbo purchases and other things, but I intend to fit mine in the coming months so we'll see - unless you buy one first :)

leave1 said:
No I don't. And I'm not a chav, I figured you might be able to gether that fact from the way I am able to write legible English.

I don't know what a Spaxo is, and I probably think the same of 1.0 Polo's as most other people.

The S3 is an uncool car. Look at the S3 owner above me.. The guy's listed the colour of his indicator bulbs in his signature!! Who gives a **** about indicator bulbs?!?!?!

Don't get mad, Stanley, no prizes for guessing which car you own!

If you read my posts you will see I own both types of these cars were are talking about, albeit one of them a 18t AGUgolf, not an A3, (same thing really).

Oh I also have a mk2 rally spec 8v golf, 1991.

Oh and a 1992 968 cab..?

I drive them all, hard! They are all a bit different, all have their good points all at least slightly modded (porker) to get them to be a little more interesting, the 8v has a motor I built in it, the mk4 and the s3 both have turbo conversions and uprated chassis mods to get them up to par.

Dave's point on thr title of this thread is a good one, I have effectively both specs of cars he's describing although the s3 has recently gone IHI. So I can identify with his point better than most, and his arguments are well thought out and make sense....

Then we look at your comments.. You say you are not a chav as you can write legible english..... "Fat old Dicks" wasn't it...?

Oh well done, have a GCSE to go with the other 10 you got in the Christmas crackers!

PS who is "Stanley", your imaginary friend..?