Audi A3 8Y Issues

SillyGoose

Hi guys, first post here. I've picked up my new A3 (30 TFSI S Line Sound and Comfort Pack + Parking Pack) in December 2020 from Watford Audi. I owned a 2009 MINI so the upgrade is huge, the car drives perfectly but the software is not too great. I will post below the issues that I am experiencing with the car.

1. SOS Emergency function fault (picture attached) . This error is strange because it only happens when I am in built up areas ( Central London) and the signal is poor. When the error comes up the system reboots itself 1-2 times and then it log me out of my user. If I try to log in, my user does not even appear on the system. If I leave the car for like 30 minutes and then start it again, it works; but this is very annoying. I went to the dealership and they said that they could not replicate the error and that is not much they can do and I would just need to monitor it and see if it happens again.

2. MyAudiApp. I have completed the registration successfully and I've set myself up as a Key User. I used to be able to log into the app but I only had some basic functionality (car status, mileage and next service). From reading on the forums I think I should also be able to unlock the car from the app but I am not sure and I'd like your input on that. See the picture attached for the message that I used to get. Now things got even worse and I can't even log in on the myAudi App. When I try to log in from my failed the error that I get is : Network : Cancelled (but I read on another thread that it has been disabled as they are having IT outages)

3. Bonus one - Why are there no nets or bag hooks in the boot of car? Does anyone have any recommendations where I could get some from? Every time I put something in the back, it jumps everywhere.

Edit: This is a bit of a gimmick. When I unlock/ lock the car the light do not light up progressively, i.e : one by one at the rear of the car. When I went to the dealership I saw an A3 Saloon that did that. What would I need to do in order to get them to light up like that when I lock/ unlock the car?

Thank you for taking your time to read this and I'm looking forward for your replies.

Attachments

• photo_2021-02-03_09-20-10.jpg
    photo_2021-02-03_09-20-10.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 91
  • photo_2021-02-03_09-20-41.jpg
    photo_2021-02-03_09-20-41.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

auzzam_crd

welcome buddy, hope you've seen a lot of my content on youtube already - if you have not, here is the link - make sure to subscribe:)

https://youtube.com/c/crdchannel

Interestingly it is the same jump I made too (2007 Cooper S -> 2020 A3)

I'll try answer your questions in order:

1) I've suffered from this problem as well as many other owners. Some have had better luck once removing the app and logging out from the MMI. There is a recall software update for the 35TFSI (due to the MHEV battery) - I know of at least one person that has had that carried out and had better luck.

But not sure your 30tfsi will have the same recall as it might not have the MHEV?

2) The app is honestly a bit useless, it rarely ever works and always has server issues. It also reports things falsey e.g. your windows are open / doors are unlocked when they are not which often means you walk back to the car just to check.

In terms of the remote unlock, I think on the latest versions you can as one user on the forum has said he can with his iphone, I believe it takes 40 seconds or so to lock it though.

3) The lack of nets is because I'm guessing you did not go for the storage pack upgrade? I've got a video coming out on it soon as so many owners were unaware they needed to select that. I think it may be a bit of a chore to retrofit, as the entire back of the seat is a different panel.

4) Not 100% sure what you mean by the lights, but if you mean the sweeping motion when you unlock the doors, you would require the dynamic lights which is part of the matrix light upgrade.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

SillyGoose

welcome buddy, hope you've seen a lot of my content on youtube already - if you have not, here is the link - make sure to subscribe:)

https://youtube.com/c/crdchannel

Interestingly it is the same jump I made too (2007 Cooper S -> 2020 A3)

I'll try answer your questions in order:

1) I've suffered from this problem as well as many other owners. Some have had better luck once removing the app and logging out from the MMI. There is a recall software update for the 35TFSI (due to the MHEV battery) - I know of at least one person that has had that carried out and had better luck.

But not sure your 30tfsi will have the same recall as it might not have the MHEV?

2) The app is honestly a bit useless, it rarely ever works and always has server issues. It also reports things falsey e.g. your windows are open / doors are unlocked when they are not which often means you walk back to the car just to check.

In terms of the remote unlock, I think on the latest versions you can as one user on the forum has said he can with his iphone, I believe it takes 40 seconds or so to lock it though.

3) The lack of nets is because I'm guessing you did not go for the storage pack upgrade? I've got a video coming out on it soon as so many owners were unaware they needed to select that. I think it may be a bit of a chore to retrofit, as the entire back of the seat is a different panel.

4) Not 100% sure what you mean by the lights, but if you mean the sweeping motion when you unlock the doors, you would require the dynamic lights which is part of the matrix light upgrade.

Hope that helps :)

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will check out your youtube channel now :)

1) Forgot to mention in my initial post. I took the car to the dealership on Monday as it has been recalled for that specific software update, I hope that fixed it.
3) Yup, I did not go for the storage pack upgrade, that must be why.

4) That's exactly what I mean, thanks for the clarification.

auzzam_crd

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will check out your youtube channel now :)

1) Forgot to mention in my initial post. I took the car to the dealership on Monday as it has been recalled for that specific software update, I hope that fixed it.
3) Yup, I did not go for the storage pack upgrade, that must be why.

4) That's exactly what I mean, thanks for the clarification.

no worries buddy, - noticed you are in London too :) , I'm looking for an S-Line to film once the restrictions ease. Let me know if you would be up for it :)

Ludus

Everything @auzzam_crd said is correct. As we've discussed a lot here, you need to be extremely vigilant when specing Audi's and make sure you understand exactly what you're getting, so many people miss out on basic things such as the storage pack and ambient lighting pack because they believe it to be standard. To all future owners - read your build spec carefully!

Also, these MMI errors seem to be very common from what I've seen - i've yet to receive my A3 yet, but i'm hoping they've patched these issues by now. I expect there to be a major recall programme soon for all MY20 builds.

SillyGoose

Everything @auzzam_crd said is correct. As we've discussed a lot here, you need to be extremely vigilant when specing Audi's and make sure you understand exactly what you're getting, so many people miss out on basic things such as the storage pack and ambient lighting pack because they believe it to be standard. To all future owners - read your build spec carefully!

Also, these MMI errors seem to be very common from what I've seen - i've yet to receive my A3 yet, but i'm hoping they've patched these issues by now. I expect there to be a major recall programme soon for all MY20 builds.

Thank you. I hope it will all be resolved by the time you pick up your car :)

you need to be extremely vigilant when specing Audi's and make sure you understand exactly what you're getting, so many people miss out on basic things such as the storage pack and ambient lighting pack because they believe it to be standard.

I was disappointed to find that I wouldn’t be getting a lockable glove box and a 12V socket in the boot of my new S-Line - as they are standard on my mid-trim Golf. But I wasn’t prepared to pay the extra £175 for the Storage pack for them :-|

I’m pretty sure that you get bag hooks in the Sportback, but I guess not in the saloon. How strange <shrugs>

Ludus

I was disappointed to find that I wouldn’t be getting a lockable glove box and a 12V socket in the boot of my new S-Line - as they are standard on my mid-trim Golf. But I wasn’t prepared to pay the extra £175 for the Storage pack for them :-|

I’m pretty sure that you get bag hooks in the Sportback, but I guess not in the saloon. How strange <shrugs>
Yeah, I deliberated over it for ages, but in the end I opted for it mainly for the second light in the boot (standard you only get one - I've only got one in my current car and it's not enough, I can't see anything at night), the 12v socket in the back for passengers and 12v in the boot (without the storage pack you only get a single 12v in the front) and the extra storage compartment on the drivers side so I can hide things away in a place only I can reach. Seat back nets and lockable glove box didn't bother me a much. But yeah, really all of that should be standard so it's a bit of a ripoff.

S15THM

Navarra S3 Saloon
If you mean the light show that lights up the individual diodes and not the indicators then I THINK you may need the matrix headlight pack? Could be wrong. I have that in mind and they do a dance like the new RS6 etc.

KXL

Does the A3 at least come with floor mats on the Technik and Sport trims?