Facelift Audi A3 8V s-line FRONT BUMPER SENSORS RETROFIT

Rico2020

Reaction score
Hi people new to this forum and I’m looking for some help if anyone has done this before. Looking to fit front sensors for my car I currently have the rear sensors and a rear camera. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a couple members like @DJAlix he is in london.
There is another member on here located elswhere, but I forgot his name.
Someone will be along shortly.
Due to lockdowns, work like this is not urgent

Reactions: Rico2020
Hi
I am also new to the forum and have had much the same response to my questions, I am currently fitting rear sensors to my facelift saloon (remember the question peoples "how do you get "facelift" on your posts"?????????) have a look through the FAQ post - and yes keep with it - it has been hi jacked with a load of 'matey' chat, but go several pages down and there is some really useful stuff, this post really needs sorting into just the FAQ and how too guides. good luck and keep posting I will be doing the same thing soon to mine (after Rear Camera and PDC)
Grumpy

There is definitely a guide there , it's the same one for the rear sensors, just keep looking it's amazing what other stuff you will find

You don't say if your vehicle is a PFL or FL mk3 so I'm assuming PFL as you already have rear sensors and camera as the FL can't have rear camera without front sensors. You have options and can source the parts yourself from Car-Systems or other suppliers and if you're confidant perform the retrofit yourself and then get them coded by someone with access to VCDS. Your other option is to contact a retrofitter who will supply/install/activate the front sensors for you. There are site sponsors who are retrofitters who will be able to assist you so drop a PM to @DJAlix who runs VAG Car Coding as I used his Leicester based partner to complete my retrofits who comes highly recommended.

Hi it’s a FL AUDI A3 8v. I have the rear sensors fitted from factory and fitted a oem rear camera now just to fit the front sensors I have the front sensor kit I’m just looking for a guide or some knowledge from you guys on how to carry it out, the coding will be done by the same guy that coded the rear camera in.

Thanks

Found this guide using the sites search which might help but it's for a PFL click me. I know the FL grill sensor mounts can be a pain as it's not like the PFL with a seperate clip-in panel and you have to punch a hole in your existing grill and mod the supplied sensor brackets to get them to sit flush and look right. That is unless you buy the correct complete replacement grill with the sensor holes already there.

Keep at it and let us all know how you get on - Front sensors will be my next project

You don't say if your vehicle is a PFL or FL mk3 so I'm assuming PFL as you already have rear sensors and camera as the FL can't have rear camera without front sensors. You have options and can source the parts yourself from Car-Systems or other suppliers and if you're confidant perform the retrofit yourself and then get them coded by someone with access to VCDS. Your other option is to contact a retrofitter who will supply/install/activate the front sensors for you. There are site sponsors who are retrofitters who will be able to assist you so drop a PM to @DJAlix who runs VAG Car Coding as I used his Leicester based partner to complete my retrofits who comes highly recommended.

Hi Harvey thanks for your input - you worry me when you say that the FL can't have a camera without front sensors, I am half way through fitting rear sensors and a camera does this mean I have to also fit the front sensors at the same time as one job? it was my intention to tackle the front sensors separately .

Image is progress today!!!!!! I have loads of cleaning to do!!! check out the rear bumper bar 3 years old and covered in rust!!! I think a visit to the powder coaters is in order.
Rear pdc Bumper off

Hi harvey do you have the item code for the FL front grill ?

I am half way through fitting rear sensors and a camera does this mean I have to also fit the front sensors at the same time as one job?

If it's a FL the answer is yes I'm afraid, it's well documented on the forum if you have a search. The rear camera won't work without the front sensors on the FL. My S3 had factory fit rear sensors but I wanted the rear camera so had camera+front sensors retrofit at the same time.

Do you have the item code for the FL front grill?

I'm afraid not & I doubt you'll find it online unless your very lucky as there are lots of grill combos. I'd recommend you contact your local Audi Parts or try this forums Parts Request supplied by Crew Audi. My existing grill was used with the holes punched out using the correct (expensive) tool then sensor brackets modded, pics in my S3 diary of the finished look which I'm very pleased with.

If it's a FL the answer is yes I'm afraid, it's well documented on the forum if you have a search. The rear camera won't work without the front sensors on the FL. My S3 had factory fit rear sensors but I wanted the rear camera so had camera+front sensors retrofit at the same time.

I'm afraid not & I doubt you'll find it online unless your very lucky as there are lots of grill combos. I'd recommend you contact your local Audi Parts or try this forums Parts Request supplied by Crew Audi. My existing grill was used with the holes punched out using the correct (expensive) tool then sensor brackets modded, pics in my S3 diary of the finished look which I'm very pleased with.
Incorrect. Have installed loads of cameras in vehicle with rear sensors only, even with no sensors. What documented is that you cannot have parking sensor display, ie the radar lines, without front sensors.

I'm my defence I did want the full parking plus upgrade & can't for the life if me understand why someone ordered my vehicle from new just with rear senses only.

I will hang my head in shame for the rest of today but I swear I did read somewhere that FL rear camera won't work without front sensors....or was that rear sensors.... I'm off to stand & face the corner of the room :(

Last edited:
I'm my defence I did want the full parking plus upgrade & can't for the life if me understand why someone ordered my vehicle from new just with rear senses only.

I will hang my head in shame for the rest of today but I swear I did read somewhere that FL rear camera won't work without front sensors....or was that rear sensors.... I'm off to stand & face the corner of the room :(
I had, at the time, a brand new 2017 S3 visit for a few bits which had no parking sensors! Some oddly spec’d cars out there.

Reactions: Potterswheel
Thanks guys, looks like I need to fit the front sensors as well then, as I too want the full deal having done all this work.
I have used the 'expensive' tool today with mixed results, first three holes absolutely magic then fourth hole cracking sounds!!!!! it looks like whoever ordered the car new without sensors found out why - bumper has been repaired on the rear corner!!!!!!!! so its off to the paint shop to be repaired!!!!! I have to say that even now its difficult to see the repair without looking at the sensor hole where all the lacquer has separated and cracked.

Big thanks to the member who wrote the rear camera install guide as I have followed it to fit the camera whilst I have come to a stop with the sensors

Potterswheel where did you find the expensive cutter ?

Sealey VS318 Parking Sensor PDC Bumper Hole Cutter Ø18.2mm 5054511203639 | eBay

I drilled a 2.5 mm hole through the marks on the back of the bumper (like a rifle sight) and then a 4.0 mm then an 8 mm the size for the cutter bolt which I had greased all the binding surfaces before use as new it comes a bit dry (probably more important if you were cutting steel) and it worked fine, just take deep breaths!!

There are several second hand PDC mounts on ebay at the moment, I am lead to believe that both the bumper and the mount are polypropylene (PP) and need a special adhesive this is available on ebay as well. (Audi use plastic welding for this reason)

Technicqll Gel Glue Adhesive PE PTFE PP Polyethylene Polypropylene Silicone C086 5902051002086 | eBay

good luck!

The rear camera won't work without the front sensors on the FL.

I now know why I was getting confused as it's the FL cars that you require front+rear sensors for the MMI to show the parking sensor activating correctly, graphic display. Again apologies for any confusion...I stood facing the corner all day yesterday :slap:

@Potterswheel what a pain regarding your unknown bumper repair and now re-repair. Stick at it and you'll get there and soon enjoy lots of beeping and driving in reverse not having to use your mirrors or brain if your brave :cower:

Reactions: Potterswheel
Is there any logic to this?? Audi are usually pretty logical but I don't understand the link between having front sensors and the rear camera, is it just a coding issue?

Thanks very much for the links, the help is much appreciated

Hi guys I’m a bit disappointed with the lack of response on my post regarding on how to do the installation/ wiring schematics and wiring routes. Other things have slightly been covered but that’s about it.

Hi people new to this forum and I’m looking for some help if anyone has done this before. Looking to fit front sensors for my car I currently have the rear sensors and a rear camera. Any help would be much appreciated

Car: AUDI A3 8V S-line FL. (2017)

Thanks

Following my education by this forum I have just ordered the parts from Kufatec for the front sensors, as I too want a 'full beans' system.

This will not include the front grill brackets or sensor holders etc. so any help will be gratefully received.

So when I have completed the rear install, I am now armed with the cutter, a tool I have had made for aligning the sensor brackets to the holes in the bumper cover and the adhesive and some know how with which to attack the front sensors, no doubt there is loads of trawling to do for the rest of the info/parts but here go's once more into the abys.

What would I have done without lockdown????

Compatibility chart says not, I think I am going to have to punch the grill and glue a holder on the back - I will know more when I take the bumper off, I have spent some time looking for sensor holders and PDC unit bracket this morning without success!!

Kufatec have come up trumps, loom delivered this am - and they have answered some of my questions with the supplied kit.

As I out sourced my retrofits to VAGPro who did an exceptional job, I was informed the sensor grill mounts from his supplier had to be cut down & plastic welded to get the sensors to sit flush as shown below on my install. His supplier said they were the correct sensor mounts but they still needed a fettle as the sensors sat in a few mm too much thus why they needed modding. So worth checking your mounts before your final fit.

20200829_124619Small.jpg

The finished article looks great - any part numbers??? I am not averse to a bit of fettling!!!!

Unfortunately VAGPro supplied all parts so I don't have any part numbers but suspect Kufatec were used for the various installation parts. I have enough fiddling on my Vauxhalls & just wanted it done on the S3 so outsourcing was my preferred method at the time.

Unfortunately VAGPro supplied all parts so I don't have any part numbers but suspect Kufatec were used for the various installation parts. I have enough fiddling on my Vauxhalls & just wanted it done on the S3 so outsourcing was my preferred method at the time.
No parts from Kufatec were used :)

Seems like all roads lead to you on this forum DJ :redface new: I take it that was your colleague who did Harveys upgrade - handy to know he's only just the other end of the A50 from me.

Don't you use Kufatec? Do you make up your own looms?

Do you know what sensor brackets I should be getting for my 2017 FL S3 ? (with standard old mans chrome Grill - as described elsewhere on here) as I said I am not opposed to a bit of fettling and If I can get mine as good as Harveys I will be a happy bunny.
I have put my fingers through my grill and can feel the 'target' on the back - so it's marked to cut the holes if I can get the brackets. there are some centre brackets listed on ebay for a Tiguan for £6.00 each they must be worth a punt.