Audi A3 8V Reverse Camera (High) DIY Retrofit guide!!

Thats all "Audi Speak" meaning "we don't know what we are doing and we were hoping the compoota would do it for us" lol.

The GFF process would never be able to complete this because as mentioned the vehicle never came from the factory with a camera. Same goes for the SVM process, both because of non factory supplied camera and because its not a retrofit that Audi supply, however with ODIS in Self Diagnosis Mode they would be able to enter Long Coding and Adaptations manually without issue. They could then use GFF to complete the calibration procedure.

SVM has two meanings in "Audi Speak":
  • Software coding comparison between factory database and actual coding on the vehicle. If a difference is found the tech can ask the software to automatically "correct" this.
  • Automatic feature activation triggered via entering a code. Think of this process as an OBDeleven App, but actioned via said code entry instead of a single button press, example:
Special Functions > SVM activation > Enter Code String ABCD12E345 = Automatically perform all coding and adaptation steps needed for Cruise Control.

Yeah, that's the impression I got as well. I figured that they only know the Audi way of doing things that are in the manual and that any modification that isn't spelled out is futile. At this point, I'm just going to get the vag-can pro and be done with it. When it comes in, I might be back with more questions. Thanks!

Reactions: DJAlix
I'm holding off for now on the vag-can pro, but I did find someone with VCDS and it gave me this information which I believes backs up everything you and others have said in prior posts.

Address 6C: Back-up Cam. (J772) Labels: 5Q0-907-441.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 441 A HW: 5Q0 907 441 A
Component: MQB RVC Mid H07 0140
Coding: 000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_2CamSysRearPASE 006016
ROD: EV_CamSysRearPANAAU914.rod
VCID: 303A189EFAA6B2779D9-8064

3 Faults Found:
10490624 - No End-of-Line Programming
B2013 53 [009] - Deactivated
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 241
Mileage: 81070 km
Date: 2017.07.24
Time: 17:56:13

OFF

13636352 - Control module not coded
U1013 00 [009] - -
Freeze Frame:

OFF

10489856 - No Basic Setting
B2010 53 [009] - Deactivated
Freeze Frame:

OFF

Finally... it is here! A retrofit/DIY guide for fitting a reverse camera (high) in detail to a 8V. I use this forum from time to time and its my turn to return something back! When I had my 8P, I was handing out the SDS hack for the RNS-E mk1 (which I still have should anyone need) but now I have an 8v S3 saloon, this is my contribution.

I would like to thank 2 people

1) My friend (a previous 8P owner) for allowing me to use his VCDS

2) DJAlix (active forum member) for stepping in with his VCDS and coding skills when I was only half able to complete the coding myself. A quick review on DJAlix (Alix), he is most friendly and helpful person and a delight to have met and spent time with! His knowledge of VCDS is exceptional and took no risks! Not only did he get to the bottom of my coding problems but he also added some very cool VCDS mods (Like mirror dip, oil temp, etc). Can't stress how helpful he is and a lovely person!

Now the fun stuff... unfortunately the guide is in much detail and is 30 so pages! Therefore I have created a PDF downloadable from here:

Audi A3 8V Reverse Camera (high) DIY Retrofit Guide (click here to download pdf)
to open the password is: audi-sport.net

if there are any editions to be made, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will ensure the above link always has the latest copy. If the link dies, please let me know and I will update it so it remains live.. enjoy :)

View attachment 87678View attachment 87677

so when can are you free to help me fit one ; )

Hi I have retrofitted a reverse camera myself a year ago with the help I got from here and I have been working well.

Until 5 days ago, in a hot day (34C) in the sun, when reversing, the screen began to darken and flicker then eventually it gone black out. After a day of cooling, the camera work as I drive out in the morning. Once I reach the destination, the video won't display and only the Optical Parking Aid showed (all grey background with your car showed horizontally, filling most of the space of the screen, indicating sensor distances). In the past 2 days, the video don't seem to work at all. The video option in the MMI menu have greyed out.

As I got the VCDS message below, I attempt to single out the problem by replacing the video cable between the camera and the module. Of course I did not work and the same message keeps pop up once I clear the fault code.

Any idea what went wrong? Should I replace the camera unit? Thanks in advance.

I have experience the same two months ago but the camera just gone blackout for a day then it worked fine until recent days.

Code:
Address 6C: Back-up Cam.       Labels: 5Q0-907-441.clb
Control Module Part Number: 5Q0 907 441 A    HW: 5Q0 907 441 A
  Component and/or Version: MQB RVC Mid   H07 0140
           Software Coding: 027300010201000300
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00046 000 00000
              ASAM Dataset: EV_2CamSysRearPASE 006016 (AU37)
                      VCID: 306F4B776B613DBEED-8064
1 Fault Found:

9591825 - Video Signal Line
             B125C 11 [009] - Short to Ground
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Reset counter: 41
                    Mileage: 39452 km
                    Date: 2017.08.05
                    Time: 09:13:22

Hi I have retrofitted a reverse camera myself a year ago with the help I got from here and I have been working well.

Until 5 days ago, in a hot day (34C) in the sun, when reversing, the screen began to darken and flicker then eventually it gone black out. After a day of cooling, the camera work as I drive out in the morning. Once I reach the destination, the video won't display and only the Optical Parking Aid showed (all grey background with your car showed horizontally, filling most of the space of the screen, indicating sensor distances). In the past 2 days, the video don't seem to work at all. The video option in the MMI menu have greyed out.

As I got the VCDS message below, I attempt to single out the problem by replacing the video cable between the camera and the module. Of course I did not work and the same message keeps pop up once I clear the fault code.

Any idea what went wrong? Should I replace the camera unit? Thanks in advance.

I have experience the same two months ago but the camera just gone blackout for a day then it worked fine until recent days.

Code:
Address 6C: Back-up Cam.       Labels: 5Q0-907-441.clb
Control Module Part Number: 5Q0 907 441 A    HW: 5Q0 907 441 A
  Component and/or Version: MQB RVC Mid   H07 0140
           Software Coding: 027300010201000300
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00046 000 00000
              ASAM Dataset: EV_2CamSysRearPASE 006016 (AU37)
                      VCID: 306F4B776B613DBEED-8064
1 Fault Found:

9591825 - Video Signal Line
             B125C 11 [009] - Short to Ground
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Reset counter: 41
                    Mileage: 39452 km
                    Date: 2017.08.05
                    Time: 09:13:22
Need to check your connections, looks like something has come loose as the error you are seeing normally indicates a broken wire or plug.

Need to check your connections, looks like something has come loose as the error you are seeing normally indicates a broken wire or plug.

I have checked the connection between the module and the camera. That means I need to check those between the MMI and the camera?? (This part of the coxn is a lengthy task)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have checked the connection between the module and the camera. That means I need to check those between the MMI and the camera?? (This part of the coxn is a lengthy task)

How much would this cost to be professionally fitted on a 2017 S3

Yup. What that error is basically saying is that there is a loss of connection so all connections will need to be checked:
  • MMI to Camera Unit
  • Camera Unit to Camera
  • Power
Would suggest power and CAN Hi / Low connections are ok as you can communicate with the camera control unit. Looks like the video feed pair, to the rear of the MMI, might be the issue.

Thanks for your advice. I have done several tests and I am more sure that it is the camera unit become faulty. Here's what I have done.

Green = Video line from module to MMI
Grey = Video line from module to Camera Unit

[My action] = [error message from the module]
All plugged in = video short to ground
Unplug Green = video short to ground + open circuit
Unplug Grey = open circuit only
Replaced grey = video short to ground

Although I have not replaced the two other power cables (red and white if my memory is correct) to the camera, I have checked the plugs already. Of course same short to ground message came up.

That's why I think I can narrow down the root cause of the problem. Could it be a faulty circuit in the camera that made the module reckon that it has shorted to the ground?

Can I seek you view on this before I go ahead and buy another camera unit? Thanks in advance.

The reverse camera finally resurrected by replacing the faulty camera cum handle unit.

I am feel very thankful for the advice provided earlier so that I can order just the parts I needed to fix the system.

Reactions: Schizophonic
Can anyone provide direction on coding my reverse camera using vag can pro? As far as I can tell, everything is connected correctly, but I'm not sure the next steps to take to make it work correctly.

Can anyone provide direction on coding my reverse camera using vag can pro? As far as I can tell, everything is connected correctly, but I'm not sure the next steps to take to make it work correctly.
All the needed adaptations and codings are contained within the PDF guide. Although VCDS and VCP look different the adaptation and coding functions are the same.

Cool, thanks. I saw something about it section 14, but perhaps I need to read through it again. Thanks.

Ignore the control module in this screenshot, but this is where you would enter the Adaptations and Codings once connected to 6C and 5F.

Maxresdefault

*image found via google

Coding and Adaptations from page 34.

Had the opportunity to conduct some testing around the issue which some people are having when trying to code the 6C Camera Module.

A module supplied with all 0's was returning "out of range" and "no end of line coding" errors. The module was posted to me, I made up a custom loom and connected the module to my own car for testing, and in order to resolve the issues a firmware re-flash and a parameterisation were needed.

If anyone encounters the same issues and cannot code their module, and cannot return / exchange it, please feel free to send me a message :)

I know you've helped me in the past, which I appreciate, and since I have VCP, I was wondering if you can provide some insight about the firmware re-flash and parameterization procedure?

I know you've helped me in the past, which I appreciate, and since I have VCP, I was wondering if you can provide some insight about the firmware re-flash and parameterization procedure?
Hey!

Are you getting a "no end of line coding" error message?

Hey!

Are you getting a "no end of line coding" error message?

If I try to long code the 6C module, I get the error mentioned by someone in a prior post:

Coding rejected
Error 31: Request out of range

Also, when I look up the errors in the 6C module, here are the errors:

(B201300) No band end programming occurs
(U101300) Control module not coded
(B201000) No basic setting

Also, when I try to access module 10, I am never able to connect.

Thanks!

If I try to long code the 6C module, I get the error mentioned by someone in a prior post:

Coding rejected
Error 31: Request out of range

Also, when I look up the errors in the 6C module, here are the errors:

(B201300) No band end programming occurs
(U101300) Control module not coded
(B201000) No basic setting

Also, when I try to access module 10, I am never able to connect.

Thanks!
Any chance we can setup a team viewer session? This will save a lot of messing about trying to fault find the issues, we can then update the thread once all is sorted :)

Reactions: jungle650
Any chance we can setup a team viewer session? This will save a lot of messing about trying to fault find the issues, we can then update the thread once all is sorted :)
Sure! I'd sure appreciate the help. Let me know when and hopefully I won't be commuting! I'm in the pacific time zone and based on our previous conversation, we are quite a few hours apart :)

Sure! I'd sure appreciate the help. Let me know when and hopefully I won't be commuting! I'm in the pacific time zone and based on our previous conversation, we are quite a few hours apart :)
will pm you tomorrow in order to get the ball rolling,

I successfully fitted the reversing camera into my previous sport back. I now have a facelift A3 saloon with tech pack and virtual cockpit and would like to fit the same camera into this. I've been searching for parts but the facelift wiring loom looks totally than the older one. Does anyone know whether I can fit the same camera into my facelift A3 without any problems Please

I successfully fitted the reversing camera into my previous sport back. I now have a facelift A3 saloon with tech pack and virtual cockpit and would like to fit the same camera into this. I've been searching for parts but the facelift wiring loom looks totally than the older one. Does anyone know whether I can fit the same camera into my facelift A3 without any problems Please
PFL camera will work in a FL car but you should really use the FL camera, which now has the control module built in to the handle unit.

Reactions: pns2007
PFL camera will work in a FL car but you should really use the FL camera, which now has the control module built in to the handle unit.

Thanks @DJAlix. If I were buying it all again I would, I'm just recycling the parts I used in my previous car. Dealer wouldn't give me any extra with it in so I took it out. Thanks for your help.

Thanks @DJAlix. If I were buying it all again I would, I'm just recycling the parts I used in my previous car. Dealer wouldn't give me any extra with it in so I took it out. Thanks for your help.
Cool cool. Only problem you might have is finding where to mount the control module as the FL is designed to have the phonebox power module and an amp module in the place where the module is mounted in the PFL. Will be space but no holes to mount the cage.

Reactions: pns2007
Anyone retrofitting the rear view OEM camera can now have this calibrated by companies like @DJAlix from Vag Car Coding who are an authorised VAG group agent.

Although the rear view cameras work fine, unless they are calibrated they will flag an error message in Vagcom/ VCDS and ofcourse dealers Odis / Vas systems.

The calibration eliminates an error which is shown when cars are scanned. This also means any future work on the car, ie dealer updates would require them to ensure the calibration remains in place.

50B5E57F 4930 4644 B0E5 D79EDB55B73F

A1E0BCD2 6D63 4BE3 8043 57B0E9F9A310

E1F1DC00 464A 4699 8F32 2DE4B718650B

Jungle

Reactions: Nic00, duncanator and DJAlix
Now you've got me motivated to pick this up again, thanks! Now that it's not as hot here in California, it might be tolerable to sit in the car and see what can be done. Only in the 80's (temp) now so it won't be an oven!

Reactions: jungle650
Anyone in the midlands got camera installed and working on a PFL model? I want to test my module to be sure it's working

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Anyone in the midlands got camera installed and working on a PFL model? I want to test my module to be sure it's working

Im based in the midlands but I've got a different unit to yours possible - mines the new gen all in one. Whats your issue?

Im based in the midlands but I've got a different unit to yours possible - mines the new gen all in one. Whats your issue?
No problem, mine's the old unit with separate camera and module. I couldn't get it to show on screen when in reverse. A battery off reset didn't help. But an MMI button restart seems to have sorted it. Thanks

Ok, back at it again, this time I got it to show the camera, but only when resetting the MMI and then for only 5 seconds or so. Any ideas why it won't activate on reverse? Is it not working when I put the car in reverse because it might need to be calibrated? I've attached two pictures, one showing the rear camera activated (on MMI reset), and the other showing the reverse gear selector and the rear camera status.
I also have the logs for the systems reporting an error:

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
22-AWD -- Status: OK 0000
2B-Steer. Col. Lock -- Status: OK 0000
37-Navigation -- Status: Cannot be reached 0100
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
55-Headlight Range -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
6C-Back-up Cam. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
BB-Door Rear Drv -- Status: OK 0000
BC-Door Rear Pass -- Status: OK 0000

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels:| 5Q0-907-530-V1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 T HW: 5Q0 907 530 M
Component: GW MQB High 212 2186
Revision: -------- Serial number: 07101310800087
Coding: 0101000820085A005B00020C180B00000001010000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 22975 444 28888
ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewConti 011017
ROD: EV_GatewConti_011.rod
VCID: 42DE4256440A30E70C5-8016

Alternator:

Multi Function Steering Wheel Control Module:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8U0 951 528 A HW: 8U0 951 528 A
Component: E221 - MFL H02 0014
Serial number: 27 09 2013 E0254747

2 Faults Found:
131692 - No Communications with Undefined Control Module
U1126 00 [009] - -
1548 - Data Set Implausible
B2012 00 [009] - -

Address 37: Navigation
Cannot be reached

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 8V0-035-MIB-HGH1.clb
Part No SW: 8V0 035 038 A HW: 8V0 035 038
Component: MU-H-LNS-US H42 0289
Serial number: A302K0D7500089
Coding: 01730102FF0A000021220001041A00102F000115010001047E
Shop #: WSC 22975 444 28888
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUHig6C3HBAS 001040
ROD: EV_MUHig6C3HBAS_AU37.rod
VCID: 323E1296F4AA80679C5-8066

Data medium:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: V03 959 800 TA HW: -----------
Component: NAR 2016/2017 --- 0054
Serial number: --------------------

Display unit 1 for multimedia system:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 604 C HW: 8V0 919 604 C
Component: DU High H49 0013
Serial number: AUZ8Z9DY2001KX

Multimedia Operating Unit:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 614 S HW: 8V0 919 614 E
Component: ControlUnit_H H64 0766
Serial number: C1000002101300020106

Compact Disc Database:
Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: V03 959 800 EG HW: -----------
Component: Gracenote --- 3005
Serial number: --------------------

1 Fault Found:
0020 - Tuner for Satelite Radio
B11CF 53 [009] - Deactivated

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 6C: Back-up Cam. (J772) Labels:| 5Q0-907-441.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 441 A HW: 5Q0 907 441 A
Component: MQB RVC Mid H07 0140
Coding: 027300022201000300
Shop #: WSC 12345 123 12345
ASAM Dataset: EV_2CamSysRearPASE 006016
ROD: EV_CamSysRearPANAVW428.rod
VCID: 303A189EFAA6B277EA1-8064

1 Fault Found:
13705478 - Databus
U1121 06 [009] - Missing Message

Attachments

• rear_cam1.JPG
    rear_cam1.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 712
  • rear_cam2.JPG
    rear_cam2.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 777
Reactions: Nic00
Having fitted a reverse cam for a friend today I too had no picture when reverse was selected. Would show on startup after an mmi reboot. Also setting node 0x6c to coded added 37 navigation to gateway. So I removed this from the gateway has I was getting a missing message error in some of the modules. Because the car didn’t have parking sensors fitted I took a look in 5f information adaptations. I set Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_pdc to activated. Rebooted mmi and it was all working.

Reactions: Nic00, duncanator, Schizophonic and 1 other person
Having fitted a reverse cam for a friend today I too had no picture when reverse was selected. Would show on startup after an mmi reboot. Also setting node 0x6c to coded added 37 navigation to gateway. So I removed this from the gateway has I was getting a missing message error in some of the modules. Because the car didn’t have parking sensors fitted I took a look in 5f information adaptations. I set Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_pdc to activated. Rebooted mmi and it was all working.
That is my exact issue so I will try that out tonight. Thanks!

Reactions: Nic00

That did it! What I was missing was the setting "Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_pdc to activated." Thank you so much for ending my months long pain!

Reactions: Nic00, Duffy77 and Schizophonic
Glad to see you got it working. You don't need to set node 0x6c to coded either. I couldn't see what this did apart from add navigation to Gateway installations.

I have a reverse camera kit for sale which I retro fitted to my S3 SB (pfl) . I have a saloon now, and DJAlix has confirmed the camera will still fit but has changed so that the module is in the camera handle. I like to keep things standard so am selling this so I can get the newer version for the FL saloon.

Please PM me with reasonable offers.

Thanks

Neil