AUDI A3 8V Parking sensors retrofit guide (8k Front + Rear)

yeah I got it, but what i meant is that you should get consent from OP prior to sharing his work, there might be a possibility that he dont want his work to be shared anymore; I saw this guide when it was up and it was quite a write up

Its all public info there is nothing personal in it so shouldnt matter. Its a forum to share this kind of knowledge. If he doesnt want that to be spread out he shouldnt create it in the first place.

Thanks for sharing Dave

Reactions: fOomad, v10oe, Harvey and 1 other person
yeah I got it, but what i meant is that you should get consent from OP prior to sharing his work, there might be a possibility that he dont want his work to be shared anymore; I saw this guide when it was up and it was quite a write up
Dave didn’t claim this to be his guide. Its information that was shared to the forum. Knowledge is what is useful between members to help each other out.

Reactions: Potterswheel
Actually, Dave’s own pictorial guide, which you can link to in post #25, shows in great detail everything you need to know about the retrofit (except for coding, which is pretty simple). I recently followed it myself and it was spot on. Dave also gave me a lot of support and extra advice. Top man.

Its all public info there is nothing personal in it so shouldnt matter. Its a forum to share this kind of knowledge. If he doesnt want that to be spread out he shouldnt create it in the first place.

Thanks for sharing Dave

Difference between “it was” and “it is, in perpetuity”. The owner can rescind at any time.

Reactions: markland21
It's been a while since I posted to this forum and I saw quite an activity on this thread so let me clarify a couple of things:
  • I got my dropbox account reported/blocked due to some unscrupulous users (not from this forum) trying to make profit out of my guide thats why all the links are down (this has happened in the past thus the different links).
  • I agree, I did create this guide to help out others and share some info which I believe would be useful to others, I did put tons of effort trying to come up with a good write up but I dont believe that a file shared once should be considered public domain for all times.
  • I will definitely update the links once I solve the issues with my account or find a good host for sharing files; in the meantime I would appreciate not to share this guide without my consentment.

Reactions: crisx24ro and markland21
i didnt meant to make a fuzz out of my reply I was just giving my opinion and didnt meant to target anyone, if by any chance I offended anyone I apologize; my intentions where to avoid any problems since there are many sites which have a strict policy on how information is shared.

It's been a while since I posted to this forum and I saw quite an activity on this thread so let me clarify a couple of things:
  • I got my dropbox account reported/blocked due to some unscrupulous users (not from this forum) trying to make profit out of my guide thats why all the links are down (this has happened in the past thus the different links).
  • I agree, I did create this guide to help out others and share some info which I believe would be useful to others, I did put tons of effort trying to come up with a good write up but I dont believe that a file shared once should be considered public domain for all times.
  • I will definitely update the links once I solve the issues with my account or find a good host for sharing files; in the meantime I would appreciate not to share this guide without my consentment.
^^^ this is exactly what i was talking about, it seems OP did had good reasons to remove the links.

BTW it was quite a write up and i hope you can fix the links and continue sharing this kind of guides :icon thumright:

I respect your descision about it and will be the last person blaming you for anything because you made a fantastric write up.
But as you share your document on a forum which is available for anyone when making an account you "agree" with it being downloaded and shared through one and another.

THen again, I don't want to start a whole discussion here mate, the document is amazing and did me good with finding partnumbers for the fit so I thank you for creating it.

Reactions: Outatozin
I have removed all the links. Anyone that wants the info must get the info from @swuw231 by pm.

Hi all, I recently retrofited front and rear OEM parking sensors into a 2015 PFL audi A3 8V saloon and since this forums have helped me so much, I wanted to share my 2 cents by creating a retrofit guide, hopefully someone will find it useful:

I've seen that many people (including myself) have experienced an issue with PDC button in which it activates the parking sensors but shows no display on MMI, I found out a workaround that worked in my case and its detailed also in the guide.

have same issue with PDC button, please share guide to me please, thanks

Do not change Gateway, DONT make update to ABS !! (you will have permanent error on it, only online calibration with backup software will save u) dont change module PDC.

I find solution myself, u dont need to change nothing on car, only from coding is problem. if someone what need to help him, send private message and i will help him.

This solution is for PFL Audi a3 with retrofit FRONT PDC , REAR Camera and MIB2.

Last edited:
Can you pm me?

Can someone please send it to me?
As new members you don’t have privileges to use private message. When you have enough posts you will get this privilege. Please don’t put your private email on the forum as it’s a public.

Reactions: Ranhin
Hi all, I recently retrofited front and rear OEM parking sensors into a 2015 PFL audi A3 8V saloon and since this forums have helped me so much, I wanted to share my 2 cents by creating a retrofit guide, hopefully someone will find it useful:

I've seen that many people (including myself) have experienced an issue with PDC button in which it activates the parking sensors but shows no display on MMI, I found out a workaround that worked in my case and its detailed also in the guide.
is this guide still available I am planning to upgrade to front parking sensors

Sorry to bump up the tread but I am going to see an 8V today and wanted to know if fitting front sensors is going to be a huge job or a plug and play retrofit (bar cutting holes). The two I've seen have rear sensors and adaptive cruise but no front sensors from what we can see.

I believe this is the set I need below?

Mrs wont have it if its not got front and rear so need your help :)

I only had the rear sensors. It was plug and play for me. I just changed the control unit and connected everything. I have an 8V FL.

That’s great! Did you have a guide to follow? Meant to be one here but you can’t PM people to ask as a newbie.

anything you have to help would be ace!

J6Y

#Potterswheel posted a thread with a comprehensive pictorial guide to this retrofit. I recommend you read it before making any decisions. I found it invaluable when I did my own retrofit. There is quite a lot of work involved, including removing the front bumper, fitting the sensors accurately and securely and getting the wiring through to the dashboard. You also need to make sure that the kit you get has wiring that is suitable for RHD and the model year of your car, otherwise you could end up having to shorten or lengthen it. Ask me how I know. The coding is fairly simple, but you will need access to VCDS. Incidentally, the kit you have linked to does not appear to include a new switch panel, which you will need because there is an extra switch involved.

hth

Mike

J6Y

#Potterswheel posted a thread with a comprehensive pictorial guide to this retrofit. I recommend you read it before making any decisions. I found it invaluable when I did my own retrofit. There is quite a lot of work involved, including removing the front bumper, fitting the sensors accurately and securely and getting the wiring through to the dashboard. You also need to make sure that the kit you get has wiring that is suitable for RHD and the model year of your car, otherwise you could end up having to shorten or lengthen it. Ask me how I know. The coding is fairly simple, but you will need access to VCDS. Incidentally, the kit you have linked to does not appear to include a new switch panel, which you will need because there is an extra switch involved.

hth

Mike
Hi Mike,

that’s exactly what I need, I’ve had a search but can’t find it so will fire the computer up when I’m home and try searching again for Potterswheels guide.

Good point, I stupidly thought because it has rear sensors it would already have the button but nooo of course not!

If you go back to post #21 in this thread you will find a link to an earlier thread. Follow this link and go through all of #Potterwheel ‘s posts In the thread. These detail installing rear and then front sensors, with comprehensive photos.

Mike

Reactions: J6Y and Potterswheel
Hi, I read your professional guide.
I need to ask you about the can bus wiring, as it's not so clear to me. Can you contact your via email or wa ?

For anyone that’s done this, what route did you take for the front sensor loom back to the PDC module in the footwell?

There is a gland/grommet which is tucked away behind the battery/battery tray in the bulkhead, (you have to take these out to make a neat job of running your new loom anyway) the best way to find it is when you have your glove box etc. out reach up behind the top edge of the carpet and sound proofing, you will find it behind the fuse box. I used a stiff piece of steel wire and pushed this through the gland/grommet then attached the loom to this and pulled it all through.

There is a gland/grommet which is tucked away behind the battery/battery tray in the bulkhead, (you have to take these out to make a neat job of running your new loom anyway) the best way to find it is when you have your glove box etc. out reach up behind the top edge of the carpet and sound proofing, you will find it behind the fuse box. I used a stiff piece of steel wire and pushed this through the gland/grommet then attached the loom to this and pulled it all through.
Brill thanks. I used that same grommet for the hill hold wiring loom to the ABS so know exactly where you mean. Does the bumper wiring go on with clips?

Yes exactly the same gland/grommet.
The wiring is clipped to the O.E. fixings which are a 'clip on' cable tie base clipped to small tabs on the rear of the bumper, i just cut the original ties off and replaced them with new ones fastened around both looms.
Centre sensor in position Finished except centre sensors
Centre sensors installation Front bumper almost complete

Have you read through the tread on fitting PDC's there may be loads of bits and bobs in there which may help you out.

The wiring is clipped to the O.E. fixings which are a 'clip on' cable tie base clipped to small tabs on the rear of the bumper, i just cut the original ties off and replaced them with new ones fastened around both looms.
View attachment 253733 View attachment 253734

Have you read through the tread on fitting PDC's there may be loads of bits and bobs in there which may help you out.

View attachment 253733 View attachment 253734

Thanks mate. Yes had a read through, looks fairly sensible. The loom section from the grommet to the front - I’m guessing it follows the rest of the bumper wires at this point and is just cable tied alongside?

There is a moulding under the battery tray which holds all the cables there nice and neatly, from the end of this it just drops down behind the headlight and then the side of the radiator, as you say a couple of judiciously placed ties to other looms which take this route and it looks invisible.
Who's loom are you using?

There is a moulding under the battery tray which holds all the cables there nice and neatly, from the end of this it just drops down behind the headlight and then the side of the radiator, as you say a couple of judiciously placed ties to other looms which take this route and it looks invisible.
Who's loom are you using?
It’s an aliexpress special. Looks reasonable quality. Said to be PFL hatchback but we’ll see how well it lines up when it arrives

Hi, is it possible for someone to send me a PM so can get this PDF file for installing the PDC system?

Here is my install after many hours of buying parts of the great auction site in the sky!View attachment 235094View attachment 235095
needless to say I am really chuffed with the results, and nothing like the kit in the pictures.
Hey! Great job with the installation.
I need to replace front inner sensor on mine, as it has a stone chip and gives false signals randomly (detecting phantom obstacles).
I have the same color grille - did you get painted sensor or did you paint it yourself?
Would you have a part number and color code?

Thanks,
p4xel

Hello you all,

Could someone help me with that installation guide?

I would realy appreciate!

Thank you in advance!

BR,
Mihai