Audi A3 8v MMii upgrade retrofit Sound ECU

Abz3

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone have changed their sound ECU ?
I’ve recently upgraded my MMII system to the facelifted version and I’m not getting any sound output through media/satnav. I found out that the facelift has a different part number for its sound ECU, problem is I’ve no clue where the sound ECU is located in the car.

Don’t suppose anyone can help?

Thanks

which parts have you upgraded? I think you need to replace the amplifier under the seat as well as the control unit in the glove box. The center console you might get away with using the 1st gen but then u probably lose access to any USB. I heard if you have the larger screen then you might get away using that as well. I was thinking of doing it and gathering the parts bit at a time.....as it will be expensive

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve changed upgraded all 3 the consoles interface, the screen and the glovebox MMii, everything works except the touch dial speller function still need to figure that one out. I don’t think it’s the amp I’ve scanned the system and it’s the sound module 47 with a programmed error, plus I can’t find the amp either it’s not under the FL seat In my model or in the Rear tail section. Also when I start messing with the module on vag it starts to play sound for a couple seconds.

yeah I got my screen and mmi off eBay for £260, a steal if I get to work

I dont think the sound control eCU needs to be changed.
I’ve changed upgraded all 3 the consoles interface, the screen and the glovebox MMii, everything works except the touch dial speller function still need to figure that one out. I don’t think it’s the amp I’ve scanned the system and it’s the sound module 47 with a programmed error, plus I can’t find the amp either it’s not under the FL seat In my model or in the Rear tail section. Also when I start messing with the module on vag it starts to play sound for a couple seconds.

yeah I got my screen and mmi off eBay for £260, a steal if I get to work

The reason your Touch dosent work, is that the upgraded FL MMI controller you bought probably isn't a touch control one. Only the MMI controllers with part numbers ending in BJ and BK had touch control. And getting one of them is rare as rocking horse poo, I've just managed to get one after months of looking.

The amplifier I believer is under the passenger seat. This needs to be changed to the Gen2 to get full sound control on the MMI if you have BO, however the MIB2 may just need a firmware flash to avoid needing to do this. This is something I am getting sorted in the next week for my upgrade. If you dont have BO, maybe the MIB2 thinks you do, hence the issue?

I think your lack of sound may be that component protection has kicked in somewhere? Was the MIB2 unit you bought hacked? if not, then I think it will have CP.

£260 for an entire MIB2 setup sounds far too cheap. Does the MIB2 unit part number end in 035035?

Last edited:
I dont think the sound control eCU needs to be changed.

The reason your Touch dosent work, is that the upgraded FL MMI controller you bought probably isn't a touch control one. Only the MMI controllers with part numbers ending in BJ and BK had touch control. And getting one of them is rare as rocking horse poo, I've just managed to get one after months of looking.

The amplifier I believer is under the passenger seat. This needs to be changed to the Gen2 to get full sound control on the MMI if you have BO, however the MIB2 may just need a firmware flash to avoid needing to do this. This is something I am getting sorted in the next week for my upgrade. If you dont have BO, maybe the MIB2 thinks you do, hence the issue?

I think your lack of sound may be that component protection has kicked in somewhere? Was the MIB2 unit you bought hacked? if not, then I think it will have CP.

£260 for an entire MIB2 setup sounds far too cheap. Does the MIB2 unit part number end in 035035?

Ahh that explains it mine ends in BE, its a hunt then. I don't know I literally stripped out the front seat looking for it, found nothing but the HVAC foot duct. So my sound system is an 8 Speaker standard set up and after going through the manuals the only tie I found between the mmii unit and the speakers is the sound ecu. The unit I picked up is a 81A 035 192E and the car it came off didn’t have the OB option code on it (9VD or 9vs) so I can only assume it was standard like mine. I don’t think it was hacked tbh, clueless on what that in tales. The only thing I can think of is theirs been a tweak on the sound ECU as the facelifted year has an ‘A’ on the end of its part number

Attachments

• 0955BC11-EE90-40F3-8955-0A515F075CB2.png
    0955BC11-EE90-40F3-8955-0A515F075CB2.png
    875.3 KB · Views: 325
you will need the high version of the MMI2 for the touch to work, I dont think that is the version you have.

A scan with VCDS etc will show if the component protection is activated.

you have the Audi Sound System by the sounds of it. There is no amp for this and upgrading to the MMI2 removes control of the bass speaker in the boot which is a disappointment as it reduces the volume.

you will need the high version of the MMI2 for the touch to work, I dont think that is the version you have.

A scan with VCDS etc will show if the component protection is activated.

you have the Audi Sound System by the sounds of it. There is no amp for this and upgrading to the MMI2 removes control of the bass speaker in the boot which is a disappointment as it reduces the volume.

Its not by the looks of that with the MIB2 part number.

I saw that kit on eBay as well and knew it wouldnt work in full.

Its the unit ending 035035 which is the proper MIB2 one.

gentlemen, if I do plan on upgrading, what essentials do I need? does it have to have CP off or can I remove that later? I have a 2016 S3 canadian version with the upgraded technics larger screen and B&O system. can i get away with using my screen? I also have the touch center console... i plan on getting the VC at some point.

Ahh that explains it mine ends in BE, its a hunt then. I don't know I literally stripped out the front seat looking for it, found nothing but the HVAC foot duct. So my sound system is an 8 Speaker standard set up and after going through the manuals the only tie I found between the mmii unit and the speakers is the sound ecu. The unit I picked up is a 81A 035 192E and the car it came off didn’t have the OB option code on it (9VD or 9vs) so I can only assume it was standard like mine. I don’t think it was hacked tbh, clueless on what that in tales. The only thing I can think of is theirs been a tweak on the sound ECU as the facelifted year has an ‘A’ on the end of its part number

Check Component Protection as suggested above. If it has, it needs removing. Or you can have the unit hacked, which removes CP and can then have newer firmware and maps updated on it. You'll need to speak to someone like @DJAlix to do this for you.

Reactions: Abz3
gentlemen, if I do plan on upgrading, what essentials do I need? does it have to have CP off or can I remove that later? I have a 2016 S3 canadian version with the upgraded technics larger screen and B&O system. can i get away with using my screen? I also have the touch center console... i plan on getting the VC at some point.

If its the wide screen (Tech pack) then you dont need to change the screen.

You'll need

1. Harman MIB2 Main-Unit (8V1 035 035 C) ("unlocked" unit ready for use in any car (may require coding))
  2. Bang & Olufsen Amplifier (81A 035 466 B) (required if you have B&O as the V1 amp is not 100% compatiable. You'll have sound but no control settings in the MMI)
  3. Base for amplifier (81A 907 390) (required as the mounting points are different between the V1 amp and the V2)
  4. MMI Controls (8V0 919 614 BJ/BE/BK) (required as the new MMI interface requires you to use the joystick on this MMI to navigate the menus, especially with CarPlay) BE - No touch, BJ/BK - touch
  5. Storage Compartment (8V0 863 300 C) (USB connectors don't fit in the existing storage bin under the arm rest)
  6. External Connectors (USB) (81A 035 736)
  7. Wiring Loom (4M0 035 736)
Expect to pay between £750-1250 for the setup, plus CP protection removal and 'hacking'.

Then your LEDs on the new MMI controller are White when the rest of the PFL dash is Red, so youll need to send it to me to have them converted to Red at a reasonable price.

I will be selling a red converted 8V0 919 614 BE unit soon.

Hi,

I recently saw a post by you regarding the MIB2 retrofit.

I noticed you said you were able to change the white lights on the centre controller from white to red.

Can you still do this?

If so, I would like to.

Regards,

Manvir

You'll need

1. Harman MIB2 Main-Unit (8V1 035 035 C) ("unlocked" unit ready for use in any car (may require coding))
  2. Bang & Olufsen Amplifier (81A 035 466 B) (required if you have B&O as the V1 amp is not 100% compatiable. You'll have sound but no control settings in the MMI)
  3. Base for amplifier (81A 907 390) (required as the mounting points are different between the V1 amp and the V2)
  4. MMI Controls (8V0 919 614 BJ/BE/BK) (required as the new MMI interface requires you to use the joystick on this MMI to navigate the menus, especially with CarPlay) BE - No touch, BJ/BK - touch
  5. Storage Compartment (8V0 863 300 C) (USB connectors don't fit in the existing storage bin under the arm rest)
Expect to pay between £750-1250 for the setup, plus CP protection removal and 'hacking'.

Then your LEDs on the new MMI controller are White when the rest of the PFL dash is Red, so youll need to send it to me to have them converted to Red at a reasonable price.

Hi,

I recently saw a post by you regarding the MIB2 retrofit.

I noticed you said you were able to change the white lights on the centre controller from white to red.

Can you still do this?

If so, I would like to.

Regards,

Manvir

Yep still doing the conversions, I've replied to your PM buddy

You'll need

Hi, do you happen to know if golf dynaudio amps are compatible with a3 fl? It’s hard to find an a3 amp around here.